You can type here any text you want

Can royal purple damage my turbo??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
ZDDPlus is one of them, Eastwood carries one, STP has one. I use Valvoline VR 20-50 and add nothing else. I believe too much ZDDP is also not good. There is a ppm range that is ideal for engines that require the zinc additive. I let the manufactures do the combining the ingredients as I believe I read somewhere that sometimes that stuff wont bind with other oils. I thought I read it on here...I will try to find out the reference post.

ZDDPlus is one of them, Eastwood carries one, STP has one. I use Valvoline VR 20-50 and add nothing else. I believe too much ZDDP is also not good. There is a ppm range that is ideal for engines that require the zinc additive. I let the manufactures do the combining the ingredients as I believe I read somewhere that sometimes that stuff wont bind with other oils. I thought I read it on here...I will try to find out the reference post.
Valvoline VR1 is still an SN oil and therefor would be low on zinc/phosphorus. I add 1/2 bottle of Zddplus to my VR1 oil.

The VR1 Race oil is conventional oil. It is supposed to have zinc and some other stuff that is no longer in other oils. But I still add some zinc additive just to be safe.
I also do this. VR1 with zinc additive. I use 20w50

Is the VR1 20w50 oil ok for winter use? It looks to mighty thick.........have you had any problems with it in your engine? Sludge? How often do you change this type of oil on your GN? By miles or by months?

What does one quart of this VR1 20w50 generally go for?

Thank you kindly.

Bruce '87 Grand National

I don't drive in the winter. Usually pack it in late November. Took my first drive of the season this past Sunday. No problems with it. I only drive ~2,000 miles per year. Change it each year. About $6 a quart. My additive is about $6.

Brad Penn is $6/qt on Amazon. They claim it has correct amount of ZDDP although Blackstone Labs disagrees.

I run Brad Penn and supliment it with 1/2 bottle of ZDDP per oil change.

I run 20w50 and have 50 psi oil pressure at 2400 rpm highway. Seems to be a bit lower in summer. 10-20 psi at hot idle depending on outside temperature.

I run 20w50 and have 50 psi oil pressure at 2400 rpm highway. Seems to be a bit lower in summer. 10-20 psi at hot idle depending on outside temperature.

Try some thinner oil, Rick, and see what you think. With all the extra pressure all you're doing is loading the engine more than you have to and beating up on the oil more than you need to.

10w40 is my MAX 5W30 is what I have been using. the roller lifter companies don't recommend anything over 10W40 either

I kinda thought that to, but there was still good info on the ppm and what is considered safe amounts. I was digging around on the Amsoil site also and they will post the numbers up on it. In the end, I don't care who's oil it is, I just want it to be right for my application. bobstheoilguy.com has soooo much info it makes my head hurt. Maybe after sifting through some of that I will understand it better....then again. Im always up for a better oil for my engine!!

Pretty sure it was that Bob oil guy website that I read by adding zddp to oil, it fights for the surface and prohibits other additives in the oil to function properly. Valid point I have no idea but worth researching further..

Pretty sure it was that Bob oil guy website that I read by adding zddp to oil, it fights for the surface and prohibits other additives in the oil to function properly. Valid point I have no idea but worth researching further..
And you ask guys on here how many have wiped a lobe and firmly believe a zinc additive has prevented it from happening again.

A lot of oil science is about longevity of an engine for continued performance and engine wear protection over 100,000 miles. How many LC2's go that long before a rebuild?

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone can straighten this out. I told a Guy that has been around turbos for a while that I was using royal purple 10w30 in my GN and he said to change it to mobile 1 or pennzoil and then add ZDD. He claimed that royal purple will cause damage to the turbo, is there any truth to that? I personally think its the best out out there. Any help would be appreciated.

Been running RP for years and never had a problem. Your buddy wouldn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

Back