Car won't shift at WOT

nybuickant

New York Punk Rock
So the car won't make the 2-3 shift at full throttle. I have the car tuned down to about 14 lbs. boost(no alky) and it pulls real hard until the the shift point, it almost feels like a rev limiter and stops pulling. If I let off just a bit the car will then shift and begin to pull. No knock and O2's are in the 770-780 range. I don't know if it is just coincidence but it began right after we changed injectors(42.5 lbers). I tried changing chips, but to no avail. Does anybody have any thoughts. Were going to E-town for the weekend, but can't race like this. Thanks

Anthony

I had the same problem with mine, It took me a while to find it but you may have a broken lock-up switch, you will have to take the pan off and the filter you can get one from your GM dealerI think it's like $35-45 something like that. Once I put the new one in it worked like a new one.

I hope this helps make sure your TV is set before you pull the pan but it does sound a lot like my car.

Take a look at the spring on the Governor. The spring will move from its installed position and destroy itself. the spring wire will usually wrap itself around the governor and as a result the transmission will not shift at full throttle. If I remember correctly the pan must be removed. The governor is mounted vertical into the bottom of the transmission and is held in place by 3 bolts. It looks like a little distributer.

Maybe I'm simple-minded, but...have you checked the fluid level?

Sometimes the simplest solutions work best, good luck.

I second the governor as the diagnosis for your problem. I copied this from a previous link:

The idea behind the two weights is to provide a wide range of governor pressure change vs. road speed. The governor is a centrifugal device so, as its rpm increases, the governor weights sling outward. The heavy weight will move out first at low road speeds sealing its check ball against the governor shaft. The light weight and spring control shift points at higher road speeds. To move the WOT shift points down, you will need to either find a stiffer spring or add weight to the light weight.

After you mod the car for more performance, you are producing more torque. If the governor is out of calibration for the mods, the tranny will not upshift.

Here is a link to a replacement governor that should work for you (look for the reman governor in the catalog):

http://www1.ptsnctb.com/

I would check the coil pack and module first, then look to a vacum leak somewhere, or pullling air in after the mass air meter. I had problems in two of these areas and my car would pull to about 4400 then nose over like it hit a wall...good luck.

1970 442 (W-30 clone), restification, 455, performer, crane cam, Hooker headers, reworked q-jet, t-400, 3.91:1 posi, and a whole lot of fun.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lhbarrett

87 T-type Astro Roof, GM 2004 Arrival Blue Metalic, Custom Chip (Turbotweak), Big Mouth Kit, Bosch FP regulator, hotwire kit, & HV fuel pump.

ihbarrett how did you check to see if youre module was bad. Did you paint that "T" yourself. Nice paint looks real good.

I 3rd the governor as culprit. The tip off, is that it will shift if you back off the gas. Spring is either weak or twisted or out of place somehow. Brian

I could also back out of the throttle/part throtle accelleration and the car would recover/run fine, but I still had a weak module and was drawing air thru the factory hose behind the MAF. I replaced the intake tract with the Big Mouth Cold Air Kit (shameless plug, great kit) and all was well with the new coil. Never looked back!
85HOT-T, I had the module and coil tested at Autozone, they had a Wells Electronics tester. I also had a known good coil pack at the ready. Yes, I did all the paint work myself with Shermin Williams products (14 weeks). It came out pretty well as I had a chance to practice on some friends cars before doing my own. I learned a lot but, I would not do it again. The disassembly & sanding part went well and a novice could handle this step but next time I will leave the final prep and paint to a professional. Plus I have been getting hammered by hail this year in Colorado and it looks like I will have to repaint this Winter again to repair some hail damamge.

Thanks all,
Lance

Thanks for the info guys. Needless to say I couldn't make it to E-town with the TR. We played with the TV cable and think we got it solved, although it's not shifting quite as hard now. Once this weather is done over here we'll be able to play a little more. Thanks again.
Anthony.

Originally posted by nybuickant
We played with the TV cable and think we got it solved, although it's not shifting quite as hard now.

The car is sifting stock now. Poeple tighten up the cable to make it feel like a shift kit.

I see that you O2 reading is ok still check you fuel filter or pump I had few cars that had a problem shifting in full throttle due to a clogged fuel filter.

Good luck
Prasad

Re: shift problem

If you think the light throttle shift points happen at the right time,the way to solve your problem is to put a weaker spring in the M.T.V. limit valve in the valve body. This effects full throttle shift points only. A stronger spring will raise full throttle shift points. If you think the light throttle shift points occure at to high an R.P.M.,the way to solve your problem is to put a stronger spring in the governor on the small weight. This will lower both the light and full throttle shift points.