CCW 17s

cronanzone

I'm still on the wheel hunt. making a decision this wk. Know I want 17s 100%, its down to bundnik GNBs or CCWs classics...

CCW emailed me today and for my 87' GN they recommend:
9.5 x 17 up font w 4.75/BS
10 x 17 out back w 4.75/BS

Seems wide? anybody run these CCW sizes without modification? My car is currently stock susp, no rolled renders, no notched frame....he said some go "conservative" w 9.0 out front but that 9.5 wasn't an issue?

I do want to be able lower the car some, too (next item after wheels) with either spring / taller ball joints and or coil overs

Budnik told me 8" fronts w 4.5BS and 9.5 rear w 4.75 BS...

I want to run 275 or 285 on rear

Why so wide on the front? 8's to me is plenty on the front. 91/2 on the back is a good fit I know. 10's maybe? Could rub depends on the car?

Why so wide on the front? 8's to me is plenty on the front. 91/2 on the back is a good fit I know. 10's maybe? Could rub depends on the car?

yeah im not sure? I was surprised by it. I even sent a follow up email to make sure they didnt make a mistake over the phone ....they replied to email and said that the sizing CCW recommends. Long wait time for CCWs, fitment issue would suck after all that time and money...

I would love to be able to run even a 9" up front w/255s 10" out back w/275s

I don't want even "friendly" rubbing, though.

A 255 /50/17 up front would fit a 8 or 81/2. I run them on 8's upfront with no problems. Boyd Coddington Timeless 5's I run a 275/40 DR in the back... they are a tad shorter than the 255/50's up front but I wanted DR's. Need a 275/50/17 DR.

I'm still on the wheel hunt. making a decision this wk. Know I want 17s 100%, its down to bundnik GNBs or CCWs classics...

Seems wide? anybody run these CCW sizes without modification? My car is currently stock susp, no rolled renders, no notched frame....he said some go "conservative" w 9.0 out front but that 9.5 wasn't an issue?

I do want to be able lower the car some, too (next item after wheels) with either spring / taller ball joints and or coil overs

I'm running 17x 8.5 fronts [4 7/8" b.s.] w/ stock suspension on 255/40's.
The rears are 17x 9 [4.5" b.s. for stock drums] on 285/40's.

The fronts...... if you want 255's and want the tire sidewall to be flat (not sucked in or stretched out) I would recommend a 9" wide wheel as mine are sucked in just a tad on the 8.5"ers.

255/45-17's are approx 26" tall, the same as stock.
255/40-17's are approx. 25" tall and will provide a slight rake and added clearance for lowering.

The 4.75" b.s. should be good as my drivers tire has rubbed the back of the A arm before tweaking. If my wheel was wider it would pull the tire away from the A arm a bit.

The rears..... the 285/40-17's are approx. 26" tall and the same as stock, but some tires are not available.
The 10" wide wheel should provide the same flat sidewall as the front.
On my car, I wouldn't be afraid to go with a 5" b.s. as the wider wheel would pull the tire away from the frame. My tires have kissed the rear part of the frame on hard corners a time or two.

Each car is a bit different and should be measured.

I plan on getting some 18's and will use car dollies to support the car to turn the wheels under load to measure precise.

There are a few things to consider before deciding on fitment. Are you going to or have you changed your front or rear brakes? The fronts can add track width that will push the tires to the outside. That causes the tire to rub on the bolts that attach the fennder well or rubbing in other areas.

If you have stock brakes or S10 upgrades I recommend the offset CCW called using the width for the tire size you want up front.

Decide on braking upgrades or suspension ones first. Measure twice purchase once.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

I really like the look of the Budnik wheels myself. If you don't mind me asking you roughly how much are the 17" Budnik's? Thanks

:cigar:
I'm running 17x 8.5 fronts [4 7/8" b.s.] w/ stock suspension on 255/40's.
The rears are 17x 9 [4.5" b.s. for stock drums] on 285/40's.

The fronts...... if you want 255's and want the tire sidewall to be flat (not sucked in or stretched out) I would recommend a 9" wide wheel as mine are sucked in just a tad on the 8.5"ers.

255/45-17's are approx 26" tall, the same as stock.
255/40-17's are approx. 25" tall and will provide a slight rake and added clearance for lowering.

The 4.75" b.s. should be good as my drivers tire has rubbed the back of the A arm before tweaking. If my wheel was wider it would pull the tire away from the A arm a bit.

The rears..... the 285/40-17's are approx. 26" tall and the same as stock, but some tires are not available.
The 10" wide wheel should provide the same flat sidewall as the front.
On my car, I wouldn't be afraid to go with a 5" b.s. as the wider wheel would pull the tire away from the frame. My tires have kissed the rear part of the frame on hard corners a time or two.

Each car is a bit different and should be measured.

I plan on getting some 18's and will use car dollies to support the car to turn the wheels under load to measure precise.

Thank you for your reply, kind of confirms what I'm thinking.. 9.5 is too wide up front
I'm leaning eight and a half or 9

As far as future plans for the car regarding brakes and suspension below are my intentions

-- adj coil overs
-- moderate front brake upgrade
-- aluminum drum upgrade

There are a few things to consider before deciding on fitment. Are you going to or have you changed your front or rear brakes? The fronts can add track width that will push the tires to the outside. That causes the tire to rub on the bolts that attach the fennder well or rubbing in other areas.

If you have stock brakes or S10 upgrades I recommend the offset CCW called using the width for the tire size you want up front.

Decide on braking upgrades or suspension ones first. Measure twice purchase once.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
Sound Advice, as I mentioned above I want to do a moderate front brake upgrade I'm going to stick with aluminum drums in the back probably coilovers on all four corners

I've got CCW classics on my Turbo Regal. Fronts are 17 x 9 with 4.75 inch backspace with 245/45-17 tires. Backs are 17 x 9.5 with 4.75 inch backspace with 275/40-17 tires. Car is lowered about 1 inch at all four corners. No other mods. Rare rub of front tire on back side of inner fender on the driver side where the parking brake cable exits the floor board on deep dips in the road. Otherwise, no issues after 17,000 plus miles of regular driving.

I've got CCW classics on my Turbo Regal. Fronts are 17 x 9 with 4.75 inch backspace with 245/45-17 tires. Backs are 17 x 9.5 with 4.75 inch backspace with 275/40-17 tires. Car is lowered about 1 inch at all four corners. No other mods. Rare rub of front tire on back side of inner fender on the driver side where the parking brake cable exits the floor board on deep dips in the road. Otherwise, no issues after 17,000 plus miles of regular driving.

This is good information, thx!

:cigar:

Thank you for your reply, kind of confirms what I'm thinking.. 9.5 is too wide up front
I'm leaning eight and a half or 9

As far as future plans for the car regarding brakes and suspension below are my intentions

-- adj coil overs
-- moderate front brake upgrade
-- aluminum drum upgrade

Turbo6inKY runs 275/35-18's on 9.5" wide wheels on all four corners. His b.s. is different because of his brakes setup.
He's had to do some miner clearancing in the front.
He has said he knows guys running 9.5" wide wheels w/ 5" b.s. on all fours.