Changing front coil springs need some advice

BARRACUDA1968

I need to install new front coil springs and friend of mine who is a mechanic is here helping me. He has a spring compressor but it won't fit in the coil.

Can someone give us some advice on the best way to get these coils out?

Since most all my tools are 25 years old or more, my coil spring compressor has worked on many GN's! :)

Just fine the proper spring compressor.

Maybe not the safest maneuver but I put a chain around the frame and through the spring and used a floor jack under the a arm when I pickle forked the lower joint. I also left the castle nut on there loose just in case. Again use this method at your own risk. The local az, or someone probably has a loaner/rental for a compressor.
Be safe out there.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

You'll need to take the top part of the compressor and put it inside the coil from the bottom first. One hook at a time, and then turn it where you want it. The put the screw in from the bottom and tighten it up on the bottom of the lower arm. Compress the spring to the lower arm and drop the arm down. Release the pressure off the spring and remove it. Reverse for installation.;)

Thanks guy's, we ended up using two single spring compressors in one coil to get them out. Kind of a pain but it worked. That's the only way we could get a spring compressor up through the shock mount hole.

The whole reason I did the job was because the car sat lower on the passenger side than the driver by 3/4 to an inch. I replaced the rear coils and that helped in the back but the front as still down almost 3/4. Now with the new front coils I'm better but still almost a half inch lower on the passenger side. Maybe the cars a little tweaked?? The body mounts have been replaced and everything on he car lines up great. The doors open and shut perfect so I'm at a loss.

They've been replaced.

I know this is going to sound weird and I have had a few beers today working on the car but I went out and measured again and now everything is level.

I'm going to have another beer and go check again in a bit.:confused:

The whole reason I did the job was because the car sat lower on the passenger side than the driver by 3/4 to an inch

I had the same issue with my car, I replaced the rear coils, the front coils and the car was always lower on the passenger side by 1/2"
I fixed this problem that hunted me for months :mad: by replacing the upper arms bushing on the passenger side
now the car is level :D

Thanks for the tip. I'm still a little lop sided but not that bad. Please don't tell me I have to take the front coils springs out to do this job.:confused:

Thanks for the tip. I'm still a little lop sided but not that bad. Please don't tell me I have to take the front coils springs out to do this job.:confused:

Leave the shocks in but you may have to take the downpipe and steering shaft out to get the arms out.;)

Just for your info, when removing the passenger side upper arm, I didn't remove anything, sure it's tight near the downpipe
but I removed it pretty easily :)

Thanks for the tip, I'm still waiting for the MAF and transducer so I can drive it around a bit and see how the suspension settles before I do anything else.

After changing the front coil springs, I was desperate, the front of the car was pointing at the moon :eek:
It took at least 60 to 80 km before they were settles, and after a couple of km more, the front dropped another 1/4"
now it's perfect...for me!!

I just put 28" tall tires on the back so the car sits nice right now. Hopefully it doesn't settle too much more.