Check out my new Lightning - pic

QuickWE4

Fuggedaboudit.
Hey Guys -

Check out the link below for a pic of my new daily driver. Practical, it ain't, but you only live once.

I will say this - based on my initial involvement with the Ford Lightning aftermarket and the various message boards, I will say that they don't hold a candle to turbobuick.com and the people involved with TR's.

It seems like there's a general lack of expertise where these trucks are concerned. I find that the threads regarding turbo Buicks are far more technical and in-depth. And TR owners seem to be more in touch with how their cars are set up than the Lightning owners do - generally speaking.

Anyway, thought I'd share a pic of my new driver with my Buick bretheren.
Lemme know what you think.

Here's the link:
http://WWW.SVTPERFORMANCE.COM/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47472

Lata,
Rich

Beautiful Truck. I agree, silver is an awesome color.

Your living the life I wanted :D

Enjoy your new toy.

Yep - between the WE4 in the garage and this thing, I ought to be driving up the price of Sunoco's stock very soon!

Prev. owner said that this thing went 12.4 on nittos, and since it's blowing 14psi (stock is 8 on the 2000's), I will probably take a little boost out of it. They tend to break connecting rods on these 5.4's.

Got to tell you though - not as fun as my Buick. Superchargers just don't sound as cool as a TA49 at full boil through a THDP ;)

Rich

It seems like there's a general lack of expertise where these trucks are concerned. I find that the threads regarding turbo Buicks are far more technical and in-depth. And TR owners seem to be more in touch with how their cars are set up than the Lightning owners do - generally speaking.

Thats why I sold mine. I didn't want to use my ear as a knock detector.

SWEET!

Nice color too bet it won't look dirty even when it is.

This is the only FORD I truly like.

Ummmm.....it's a Ford. Stay loyal. Shoulda got a Syclone.

Last time I raced a Lightning we started from a 35+ roll and he stayed right with me and was gloating big time. I wonder if he thought it was a 5.0L Firebird? So I let his big head get the best of him and challenged a run from a dead stop, and whaddya know a red light. I blew him to pieces so badly he promptly pulled a U-Turn on a 5 lane highway after about 300'. I guess he didn't want to explain all the gloating from a roll...

Enjoy your Lightning and a here's piece of advice, don't race a TTA....:p

Welcome to the club! ;)

Practical, it ain't, but you only live once.

Why the heck not? I've put ~12,000 miles on my '01 Lightning since buying it last November & have had nothing but FUN with it. :D

They take to mods like a Buick (My truck has run a VERY consistent string of low 12.9's @ 104~105 mph with only a Bassani cat-back, 2lb pulley, Accel Kool Blue filter, Lakewoods & Nitto Dr's) and unlike the Sy/Ty you can actually haul stuff around with 'em & in the bed. Just keep in mind what the performance mod "scene" was like for TR's when they were still pretty new then look & see where we're at now... the aftermarket just needs a few years to get to know them as well. :)

Doug C.

Yeah, gas consumption is something I'm going to have to monitor. Basically, they all drink gas, but if you stay out of the boost and leave it in OD, you can do alright. Guy I bought it from really went through it - JDM long tube headers, TB and full exhaust (REALLY LOUD), 90 MM MAF, single blade TB, JDM chip, traction bars, lowered all around, 2500 stall converter w/ shift kit from Protech transmission up in Harriman NY, upper and lower pulley mods set up for 14psi, JDM heat exchanger (like an extra mini radiator placed up under the front bumper - almost like a front mount IC), larger tank for the water to air I/c, and on and on and on.

Also, the guy swapped in the 3.73 rear from a 2001 - the 2000's had 3.55.

Hey TT/A1233 - I woulda stayed loyal but, honestly, GM is really sucking the big one right now as far as performance vehicles are concerned. I mean, their new SS is a joke.

But I'll run that TTA for kicks ;)

Thanks for the kind words guys!
Rich

Agreed, GM's falling flat on their face when it comes to competing with Ford in the performance arena. I imagine history will repeat itself as it did in the late 80's with the 5.0 vs. the F-Body. Ford was kicking GM's butt til they got the act in order and started putting the Corvette 350 in F-Bodys to compete. GM's a giant that takes a lot of beating to get moving.

Strategic advice, bait a TTA into a race from a 30-40mph roll and hope it's not too modified. Don't do it from a dead stop unless you're in race trim....it'll be ugly. Granted, a TTA can't haul around a trailer or tractor in the bed but it's not what it's designed for.

On page 15 in the Svt performance and chain of restaurants Road kill drive thru. Damn that was a mouth full! Anyway there's a thread about an o3 cobra losing one race and winning 2 with a stock Gn. Oh and Very nice truck! wish I had one:cool:

About 20 mpg with the cruise set at 70 mph for my ~75 mile round trip work commute. Only get around 14~15 around town but thats probably due to my bad case of lead foot-itis. ;)

Doug C.

Ummmm.....it's a Ford. Stay loyal. Shoulda got a Syclone.

Man am I getting tired of seeing that...you said something like that in another post too. He "should" have gotten what he WANTED...not what the same company as the other car he has makes. (which is what he did) I don't see the big deal about staying "loyal". Oh well, maybe it's just me.

Anyways, congrats man! Thing looks BAD@$$!!!

I agree with staying loyal but its not possible with the crap GM is making now. They have nothing to offer. If was I going to buy a new a car it'd be either a 03 cobra or a lightning. Nice truck you got there.

TTA1233, you must not know much about Lightnings. They are very fast off the line. Guys are getting 1.8x short times on the stock tires! A syclone couldn't be any further from being a truck. Call me crazy, but I like to use my truck to haul stuff, and pull a trailer, you know, truck stuff. Syclones are very bad ass, but its very impractical. No interior, no hauling capacity. You keep talking about racing a TTA, its like comparing apples to oranges. No, his lightning is not as fast as your precious TTA. Nor is your TTa as fast as many peoples cars. Does that make your TTA a pos? Do you realize that you're bragging about beating a pickup with a sports car? Thats like saying I'm a tough guy for beating up an old lady. I own a Lightning, its awesome. I smoked a brand new ram air TA with it, and its stone stock. I also beat a newer mustang GT last week. Not bad for the truck I use to haul my GN. Lightnings are running 13's stock, just like a TTA. So get off your high horse, open your mind, and you might learn something.

Oh, and heres a peice of advice for you: Enjoy your TTA, but keep racing all the lightnings you can find- one day one of them is gonna lay the smack down on ya'. Theres always someone faster.

Originally posted by 69BluDevil
Man am I getting tired of seeing that...you said something like that in another post too. He "should" have gotten what he WANTED...not what the same company as the other car he has makes. (which is what he did) I don't see the big deal about staying "loyal". Oh well, maybe it's just me.

Anyways, congrats man! Thing looks BAD@$$!!!
My personal philosophy isn't to go with "the winning team", thick or thin. I don't bounce around to whoever happens to be on top at the time. "Hey, this year Toyota has the fastest car so I gotta get one". One year later - "Hey, gotta sell the Toyota since BMW's got the quickest car on the market and I have to have one". And the year thereafter - "Damn, the BMW's gotta go now that Fiat has the quickest 1/4 mile car according to Car & Driver".... That just ain't me. To each his own but that's pretty superficial in my opinion.....

Originally posted by turbosam6
TTA1233, you must not know much about Lightnings. They are very fast off the line. Guys are getting 1.8x short times on the stock tires! A syclone couldn't be any further from being a truck. Call me crazy, but I like to use my truck to haul stuff, and pull a trailer, you know, truck stuff. Syclones are very bad ass, but its very impractical. No interior, no hauling capacity. You keep talking about racing a TTA, its like comparing apples to oranges. No, his lightning is not as fast as your precious TTA. Nor is your TTa as fast as many peoples cars. Does that make your TTA a pos? Do you realize that you're bragging about beating a pickup with a sports car? Thats like saying I'm a tough guy for beating up an old lady. I own a Lightning, its awesome. I smoked a brand new ram air TA with it, and its stone stock. I also beat a newer mustang GT last week. Not bad for the truck I use to haul my GN. Lightnings are running 13's stock, just like a TTA. So get off your high horse, open your mind, and you might learn something.

Oh, and heres a peice of advice for you: Enjoy your TTA, but keep racing all the lightnings you can find- one day one of them is gonna lay the smack down on ya'. Theres always someone faster.
Your "assumption" about me not knowing about Lightnings is way off the mark since I visit http://www.nloc.net/ message board on a regular basis.

Guys are getting 1.8x short times on the stock tires!
If what you're saying is true (and I'm not doubting what YOU'VE seen) it isn't the norm, just check the NLOC message board to see what I'm talking about. If 1.8x short times are common-place I wonder why I completely dusted the lightning I raced from a dig? No tire spin on either vehicle and the supercharger was screaming like coyote. Musta been outta tune I suppose.

A syclone couldn't be any further from being a truck. Call me crazy, but I like to use my truck to haul stuff, and pull a trailer, you know, truck stuff.
I suppose the GMC Syclone is closer to a Corvette than a truck. Your idea of a truck may be hauling/towing capacity but the Syclone is a pickup truck in every sense of the word. What do you call a Ford Ranger or Chevy Xtreme? Not to mention you're comparing apples to oranges. Need I go into the frame/engine/transmission/rear end differences?

No, his lightning is not as fast as your precious TTA.
Now there's no reason to get crass. I don't claim my TTA is precious but it is rare, much rarer than any Lightning without question.

Nor is your TTa as fast as many peoples cars. Does that make your TTA a pos?
You're correct my car isn't as fast as many people's cars, but stock vs. stock is quite a bit quicker than any Lightning. Let's not go back to the apples vs. oranges argument. For a truck it's powerful. Shall we compare power to weight ratios on a Syclone vs. a Lightning? That's the true indication of power. Funny an AWD Syclone pulls consistant 1.8-1.9 60' times stock and so can a 1,500 lb. more 2wd Lightning...now that makes sense. I suggest you check out the MANY Lightning 1/4 mile videos posted on the NLOC message board. Haven't seen a-one in stock trim with stock tires pull a sub 2.0 second 60'.

Do you realize that you're bragging about beating a pickup with a sports car? Thats like saying I'm a tough guy for beating up an old lady?
I'm not bragging about anything. I'm putting things in perspective. I love how Lightning owners think the thing's the quickest thing on 4 wheels. If you pick on street cars you better be prepared to race a car. Wanna feel feel good about your pick-up the I suggest you race another truck and keep things even or be prepared for a whoopin'. Pick on a turbo V-6 and you better be prepared. Ever heard of the saying "don't bring a knife to a gun fight"?

I own a Lightning, its awesome.
How'd I know that?

I smoked a brand new ram air TA with it, and its stone stock. I also beat a newer mustang GT last week.
Congratulations that your truck beat a car or 2....It MUST be fast. Strange that "new Ram Air T/A's" usually run 13.0-13.1 with a good driver stock but have yet to see ANY video showing any STOCK Lightning breaking into the mid-high 13's WITH STOCK TIRES. Either you're an exceptional driver, the other drivers were playing, couldn't drive at all or you have a one-off. Especially since pick-ups like yours have no weight on the back end to run well from a dig. I'm gonna guess it was a run from a roll.....maybe I'm wrong.

Lightnings are running 13's stock, just like a TTA. So get off your high horse, open your mind, and you might learn something.
I'm on no high-horse just stating facts. I have no ego to protect like it sounds like you do. I already said when running that truck from a 40mph roll it was pretty much a dead heat. Had we kept in it on an open stretch I doubt the Lightning would have been able to keep up to 160mph. It was pretty even to @70mph til we ran from a dead stop, then he got his ass handed to him, facts are facts. If you don't want to face reality that's fine with me. Reality is, he picked on the wrong V-6 Trans Am. Perhaps he shoulda ran another pick-up to keep the playing field level.

I'll take your advice...thanks. And here's some advice for you. Be very careful picking a race against a white Trans Am with very subtle "TURBO" emblems with dual chrome tail pipes. You too may get a street education without doing serious mods to your Ford pick-up. Perhaps you'd be better off sticking to races with other trucks or inexperienced drivers to keep the competitions apples-apples. That way you won't have to complain about Lightnings losing to cars.

Fact is both vehicles are "specialty" cars. I wouldn't attempt to haul around a car trailer and you wouldn't attempt to out brake or out maneuver my car. Kapeesh?

At the end of the day, a Lightning doesn't measure up to a V-6 Turbo T/A in straight-line acceleration. I'm sorry if that doesn't sit well.

By the way, my TTA's for sale. You interested? :confused:

Maybe you should read those message boards a little more carefully. I've read many posts where guys have pulled sub 2.0 60' times, and there are countless 13 second stock Lightnings. Hell, mine ran 12.9's with a chip, slicks and air intake/ exhaust. I wouldn't race a "fast" street car with it, thats what the GN is for. But stock vs. stock, I bet the Lightning and TTA are very close. both run 13's stock. No, my truck is not "fast". Its faster than a lot of the pathetic cars around here, but thats not saying much.

And whats wrong with buying whats hot now, and not staying with a floundering car manufacturer? If Chevy made a truck to even come close to the Lightning, I'd be the first one in line.

For the record, I'm not the least bit intimidated by a TTA. They are very sweet, but that doesn't make all of them fast. I've seen way too many tubbed 12 second cars to be scared of looks. Anything can be fast, you never know. Give me some good reasons why a sy/ty would be better than a Lightning? I fail to see it. Easier to park maybe.