You can type here any text you want

checking my heads after BG and re-torquing them after putting them on?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

blackgn231

Money pit
I know you can use a straight ruler when doing it as the machine shop but whats the min on the feeler Gage what should not be able to slide under?Also any thing special,I should do before putting heads back on ,used brake clean on the heads to clean oil and grease off should use this on the block also? How long should you wait to re-torque them?

Anyone ? What about the torque for my Arp head bolts and do you torque the longer bolts more as someone told me just to many different threads on this.

Cleanliness is next to Godliness. (actually cleanliness is next to cleavage and clostrophobia in the dictionary, though;) ) Torque the head bolts (ARP) in four steps starting at 40 ft/lbs. then 50, then 60, then 70. Let sit for aprox. 20 minutes then loosen each bolt and re-torque to 70 one at a time in any order. Be sure to use thread sealant on the threads and add ARP lube to both sides of the washers.

ARP has a great website where you pull up the tech sheets on your exact studs and it will tell you what torque they take. Some are different that others I think..... always better be safe than sorry.

I let mine sit overnight... then back off in sequence 1/4 turn, then retorque to full torque in one smooth motion. There are about 100 ways to do it..... not saying mine is right.... but a well known Turbo Buick racer told me that....and I use it. I would suggest you do this without the intake on the motor, but if it is.... back off those bolts several turns before retorquing the heads.

Back