Chicagoland Buick Transmission builders?

DoubleD

Too many Regals
Hey guys,

So the 200-4R bit the big one in the regal. I purchased a th400 from jasjamz earlier in the summer with driveshaft and converter. I am looking at getting it completely rebuilt, such that I never have to mess with it again.

after reading up about the pump modifications to save the thrust bearings in the motor, I was curious as to if someone around has gotten a trans done with the necessary buick modifications and who you used.

I was recommended Andy's Transmissions on devon ave to have an unbreakable trans built. Anyone have any opinions? Any help is much appreciated.

I'd like to stick with the 400, even though I'm sure a 350 is a better choice, but that's not a debate I want to get into here.

Thanks guys,

-DD

Jimmy is a great trans builder. I have over 20 passes and enough wide open throttle time to consume 15 gallons of meth on mine and its still working fine. Only transmission guy I know of the has to throw a picnic to see his customers once a year.

Jimmy is a great trans builder. I have over 20 passes and enough wide open throttle time to consume 15 gallons of meth on mine and its still working fine. Only transmission guy I know of the has to throw a picnic to see his customers once a year.

Haaaaaaaaaaa, good one Jason.

Jimmy is the best in the market; he is also the best standing behind his product. Now it sounds like you want the TH400 redone? Or you want the 200 gone through? If you are getting the TH 400, you may have to tell Jimmy what needs to be done as far as the pump mod. I had a conversation four or five years back with Jimmy and he said he never had any thrust issues with the 400’s he builds and he has never done that type of mod. Not all the TH 400 has the line pressure issues but its good idea to get the modification done anyway.
The modification is simple and you can give this instruction to your builder and they can follow that with out any issues. The modification you need for the TH 400 is; locate the T/C passage in the pump cover. Drill it 21/64". Use a 1/8" npt tap. Install a 1/8 npt Allen pipe plug. Drill 7/64" through the pipe plug. The builder should be able to source that stuff themselves or you can get everything for them. I also have talked with bunch of other known builders and they too said they don't do that mod and they have no issues. I know our little Buick engine can't handle a lot of thrust so it's good idea to get them done.

What kind of numbers are you looking to run with your Buick? Maybe if it's not too radical, you can go back to the 200 and keep the over drive. Now days the 200's are holding up into the 9's and they have figured out most of the issues that causes them to break.

If you want the best of both worlds then look into a 4L80E and never look back. It's expensive but worth it if you are going to drive a lot. I have few friends including Jason that went back to 200 for the OD. When we are all rolling together at 75-80 on the high way, the guys with the three speed, their engines are screaming 4k+. If you're just run it at the track and maybe few local shows and what not then the 400 will be just fine.

Just my $.02

Prasad:cool:

Thanks for all your help guys. I'm thinking that you are all probably right and I will grow tired of the non overdrive trans driving up the the track... I love the fact that I'd never have to touch the 400 ever again, but if jimmy can make me a high 9 trans that can handle 10s all day, I'd be happy with still having overdrive.

I'll probably end up taking to jimmy shortly.

maybe to a quick bench rebuild and throw the 400 in for the rest of the season. could probably manage the pump modifications...

thanks for all your help guys. anyone care to PM me with an approximate price they paid for a 10second 200-4r? just looking to get an idea is all.

-DD

jimmy can build you a 9 sec 200r4 but it will still most likely need a freshenup every other year. he takes care of you really good on the freshenups.

a friend has his basic 400 in his car with a few thousand street miles and plenty of low nine-high eight sec passes without a flaw.

he knows how to build a great trans and the pressure mods are nothing new to him.

awesome. maybe I'll just do a basic 400 through him too then. re-use all the crap thats already in the 400 and get the 200-4r done over the winter.

Thanks for all the help dudes.

Called jimmy today about getting a quick job on the 400, sounds like it'll work out well! nice guy to talk to certainly knowledgeable.

He seemed a bit hesitant/unfamiliar with the pump/pressure modifications for the 400 so I'm gonna have to do my best to relay that information over to him.

thanks again guys.

He seemed a bit hesitant/unfamiliar with the pump/pressure modifications for the 400 so I'm gonna have to do my best to relay that information over to him.

thanks again guys.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that what I foud out when I talked him few years back but if you give him the instructions I posted earlier, I am sure he would be able to do so without any issues!!

Forgot to post the results to this! Jimmy helped me out big time on the trans and it is back in my posession for a very good price.

Unfortunately the place that I was going to do the swap has sorta disappeared so now I gotta figure something else out. everything is ready to go tho! :)

ended up re-using my ancient fairbanks RMVB and governor style Trans brake that came with the trans. got the driveshaft refreshed at midwest driveshafts (great to work with) and picked up everything to do a B&M supercooler trans cooler in combination with the radiator trans cooler that is currently unused... guess that could have been part of the problem.

I'm hoping to have it running at least a little bit before the season is over... also needs some tuning work and bigger injectors. 42.5s are maxed.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'll definitely be a jimmy's customer again!

Forgot to post the results to this! Jimmy helped me out big time on the trans and it is back in my posession for a very good price.

Unfortunately the place that I was going to do the swap has sorta disappeared so now I gotta figure something else out. everything is ready to go tho! :)

ended up re-using my ancient fairbanks RMVB and governor style Trans brake that came with the trans. got the driveshaft refreshed at midwest driveshafts (great to work with) and picked up everything to do a B&M supercooler trans cooler in combination with the radiator trans cooler that is currently unused... guess that could have been part of the problem.

I'm hoping to have it running at least a little bit before the season is over... also needs some tuning work and bigger injectors. 42.5s are maxed.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'll definitely be a jimmy's customer again!

I am glad it worked out for you, Jimmy is the man!!

Prasad:cool:

Glad to see its all working out for you. I rigged up a gauge to check line pressure. When you get it in you can use it to check it out to avoid thrust bearing issues.