Chip Options? Thinking About Dumping the Maftpro

I don't believe there's any splicing required when using the wiring harness under the hood. Is that not the case?

You said you had to solder wires, so I assume you are not using the casper kit to install the pro. You mention the soleniod was plug and play, meaning it plugs into the factory location it does not mean the pro can now control it.

If this is the case then you need to cut the sensing ground from the ecu (D3) and attach the sensing ground from the pro (pin 8 on the 8 pin expansion) to the sensor wire (leave the connection to the ecu open).

Right now the chip is controling the solenoid.

The powerlogger cannot read the tpro wastegate changes. It can only read the chip. The changes occur within the tpro and is not sent to the PL.

In fact if it is hook up correctly then the waste gate showing on the PL will stop displaying a signal.

I honestly just went through this with Bob.

Last edited:
Powerlogger most certainly can read the wastegate duty cycle from the maft pro. Aux 2 wire.
upload_2017-5-22_18-27-17.png

HOLY! So here's two logs from last night. Keep in mind that nothing was altered in the tune from a couple weeks ago and I was running 15psi with <1KR. Alky was triggered at 7psi.
1st log- The KR is off the damn chart... I can't believe it didn't push anything out. Scary! But at low 10's AFR and alky.???

2nd log- went +7 on the Mainscale and the KR was virtually eliminated.

I hope something stands out to someone because I'm at a loss.

Attachments

• knock knock knock 5.21.dat
    98.5 KB · Views: 76
  • no knock 10 punch 5.21.dat
    99.9 KB · Views: 59
You said you had to solder wires, so I assume you are not using the casper kit to install the pro. You mention the soleniod was plug and play, meaning it plugs into the factory location it does not mean the pro can now control it.

If this is the case then you need to cut the sensing ground from the ecu (D3) and attach the sensing ground from the pro (pin 8 on the 8 pin expansion) to the sensor wire (leave the connection to the ecu open).

Right now the chip is controling the solenoid.

Purple wire from 8 pin expansion on pro is connected to the pink w/ white tracer boost solenoid wire.

Reaal
HOLY! So here's two logs from last night. Keep in mind that nothing was altered in the tune from a couple weeks ago and I was running 15psi with <1KR. Alky was triggered at 7psi.
1st log- The KR is off the damn chart... I can't believe it didn't push anything out. Scary! But at low 10's AFR and alky.???

2nd log- went +7 on the Mainscale and the KR was virtually eliminated.

I hope something stands out to someone because I'm at a loss.

I do not see any pressure readings at all. No map or boost reading, what is the map sensor type? Do you have the maftpro correction % as an Aux input? Do you have a fuel pressure transducer? What wide band, LC-1? Extender chip?

upload_2017-5-22_22-27-51.png

Reaal

I do not see any pressure readings at all. No map or boost reading, what is the map sensor type? Do you have the maftpro correction % as an Aux input? Do you have a fuel pressure transducer? What wide band, LC-1? Extender chip?

View attachment 303793

Just hooked up the map signal(3 bar)to the powerlogger an hour ago.

Not sure about the correction %? Can you explain that a bit?

Verifying fuel pressure is on the list tomorrow. I haven't done that for a couple weeks.

Yes, LC1.

Extreme pro chip.

Last edited:
On 'configuration' page set
v2 mode out: to "correction factor"

System setup page ( I think) set V2 voltage to 5.00

v2 out (pin 7 on 10 pin connector) goes to the I/O board of the PL, either I4 or I5 (up to you). You will need to set the PL to see the new I/O.

FYI: You should also have the v1 mode out set to "Spark Control" to take advantage of WOT Spark control on the chip.

FYI. For tuning I was always told to log rollings runs in third gear and going wide open. Most of the false knock happens transitioning from 1 to 3. There is also a lot less shock to the drivetrain.

On 'configuration' page set
v2 mode out: to "correction factor"

System setup page ( I think) set V2 voltage to 5.00

v2 out (pin 7 on 10 pin connector) goes to the I/O board of the PL, either I4 or I5 (up to you). You will need to set the PL to see the new I/O.

FYI: You should also have the v1 mode out set to "Spark Control" to take advantage of WOT Spark control on the chip.

FYI. For tuning I was always told to log rollings runs in third gear and going wide open. Most of the false knock happens transitioning from 1 to 3. There is also a lot less shock to the drivetrain.

Spark control is critical as mentioned by Evaddave 87gn. Your spark timing for alky is too much. I would set to WOT spark to 17 degrees advance for starters. If you need help getting this set up, feel free to ask. You can also set up having the 3rd gear switch as an aux trigger input so you can have different fuel trim and spark timing for 3rd/4th gear. Do you have PIN 6 from the main 10 pin harness wired correctly into the ECM? That is for the WOT spark control.
You should not need to add any fuel, infact with the Alky, you will likely end up pulling fuel when it is dialed in.

Yep, the purple wire is soldered to the pink with white tracer.

I'll verify the other things tonight.

Thanks for the help guys. I feel like I'm getting somewhere finally.

Yep, the purple wire is soldered to the pink with white tracer.

I'll verify the other things tonight.

Thanks for the help guys. I feel like I'm getting somewhere finally.

Is the pink w/white severed from the ecu, so only the pro wire is driving it?

Yes, the ECM isn't getting a signal from the boost solenoid.

Set the pro as you suggested above and I still can't get the WOT spark to change. Commanded WOT was still 22 and spark advance at WOT was 25.

Yes, the ECM isn't getting a signal from the boost solenoid.

Set the pro as you suggested above and I still can't get the WOT spark to change. Commanded WOT was still 22 and spark advance at WOT was 25.

A little confused, I didn't think I gave any real instruction on the WOT Spark command, other than making sure it was toggled on.

I took another look at your first runs, I see the WOT triggering, double check your initial settings and make sure you have Spark Base set to 15 (in the system setup page).

The idle log you posted does show the Boost and MAP reading now so that's good. I don't see the correction factor, you WILL need this to tune the car. I understand your reluctance to run WOT, however you will need some type of run to start to tune (again I would focus on 3rd gear runs). You don't need to go WOT just hard enough to reach the trigger points that you set into the pro.

You also have your chip adding timing to first and second gear (like 2 degrees), for now I would set cell 10 to zero (every little bit helps).

Last edited:
The Pro controls WOT timing by sending an analog voltage (Vout1 usually) to the air temp input on the ECM. it looks from the log that that input is not working.

can you measure the voltage on the brown wire and see what it reads?

The Pro controls WOT timing by sending an analog voltage (Vout1 usually) to the air temp input on the ECM. it looks from the log that that input is not working.

can you measure the voltage on the brown wire and see what it reads?

5 volts.