You can type here any text you want

cleareance's

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

boosted nova

Going to be putting in new crank this week, can some please tell me the clearances and torque spec's for the bottom end .Thanks

Thats what I need thanks

you might want to think hard about those "factory" specs-------5 tenths on the rods and 3 tenths on the mains is mighty tight-------if you wander close to those clearances you better have absolutely perfect concentricity of journals and bores------and plan on using high viscosity oil--------long ago i tore down two brand new short blocks right out of the crate to check the specs-----tightest bearing in one block was #1 main at 9 tenths--------tightest main in other block was 12 tenths--------no rod was less than 15 tenths-------some were over 20.........RC

you might want to think hard about those "factory" specs-------5 tenths on the rods and 3 tenths on the mains is mighty tight-------if you wander close to those clearances you better have absolutely perfect concentricity of journals and bores------and plan on using high viscosity oil--------long ago i tore down two brand new short blocks right out of the crate to check the specs-----tightest bearing in one block was #1 main at 9 tenths--------tightest main in other block was 12 tenths--------no rod was less than 15 tenths-------some were over 20.........RC

Have yet to see a rod bearing spun or trashed because of too loose a tolerance. :rolleyes:

As I have mentioned before, the Buick factory specs as written are for ALL V-6's, and make no exception for the higher RPM performance turbo engine.

Our findings on original bearings in turbo engines are consistent to what Richard has stated. :)

So what does ever body recommend for the rods and crank.

So you, an "unknown" internet name, is asking other "unknowns" on the internet for critical information on building an expensive engine about what they recommend?

There are a few people qualified to answer this, IF they had all the proper information, and were willing to share it - very seldom does this happen.

If you are not knowledgeable, experienced or qualified to do this job correctly, it would be best to find someone that has, and use them.

I know many of the "qualified" Buick engine builders around the country, and almost never do they post or respond with details like you want.

Save yourself trouble and expense in the long run, and find an experienced person [with a proven track record] to help you. :smile:

So you, an "unknown" internet name, is asking other "unknowns" on the internet for critical information on building an expensive engine about what they recommend?

There are a few people qualified to answer this, IF they had all the proper information, and were willing to share it - very seldom does this happen.

If you are not knowledgeable, experienced or qualified to do this job correctly, it would be best to find someone that has, and use them.

I know many of the "qualified" Buick engine builders around the country, and almost never do they post or respond with details like you want.

Save yourself trouble and expense in the long run, and find an experienced person [with a proven track record] to help you. :smile:

Good advice...

I have assembled many big block and small block Chevy's over the years most of which have run just as fast as you or faster in some cases. I am new to the Buick world just trying to have some fun with a V6 now. Sorry I'm trying to get some more info on something I'm doing right now. I thought this would be a good place to ask a ?. Didn't know some people here are d**k heads. Sorry if this made some of you mad. Just looking for some help from some of you that are more experienced with this motor. Thanks to all the people that have helped me.

Please point out the so called d***heads as every post has been an effort to try and help you. Even the posts about finding an experience engine builder is spot on. These buick blocks aren't your sbc or bbc run of the mill blocks. I've seen firsthand, buick blocks built by 'experienced' engine builders used to building small/big block chevys explode into lots of pieces. I've got a friend now sitting on a $7K engine that ran all of a few weeks from a 'reputable' engine builder before it died.

I too came from building Chevy's and am new to Turbo Buicks and it is a completely different world. I listen, learn and hopefully keep from blowing my engine up...I had the pleasure of meeting RC (Richard) personally, and can tell you first hand he knows what the hell he's talking about.

I believe he was referring to the implied brashness of Mr. Micale's post...

I can understand his reaction however, everyone acts as if these engines are more myth and legend and therefore have acquired an almost mythical reputation...if you follow directions, use the correct tools, have a keen mechanical ability, are willing to learn and listen..it can be done...

Back off the guy..he is just trying to learn...:biggrin:

Yep just trying to learn something new don't really have the money to pay somebody right now to rebuild the motor. Hell if ever body just paid some to do something to these cars they would still be stock because know body would do anything. Got start some were I thought this was a good place to. Sorry didn't think I would be replacing the crank write now but s**t happens. Again thanks for all the help

Thats the problem. I know they have there agendas and need to keep their businesses alive, but they arent really helping anybody (except for building motors and taking money :rolleyes:) Whats going to happen when these guys retire or die? Someone needs to keep the ball rolling. I cant stand the people that keep all the "secrets" for themselves. Some guys on this board are great, Donnie (DonWG) always shares his ideas and secrets and seems to enjoy it. I talked to Bison about problems and he had no problem giving me answers, and even told me some problems with the 200r's and how to solve them. And Richard Clark, what can I say about him, the guy has the ultimate Turbo Buick playground and he isnt afraid to let people use it and he also shares the knowledge.

Boosted Nova go to gnttype.org and get the torque specs, then get plastigage and measure all the oil clearances before final assembly. And If you have a problem try and contact some of the guys I posted above, I'm sure they wont mind helping you.

Thats the problem. I know they have there agendas and need to keep their businesses alive, but they arent really helping anybody (except for building motors and taking money :rolleyes:) Whats going to happen when these guys retire or die? Someone needs to keep the ball rolling. I cant stand the people that keep all the "secrets" for themselves. Some guys on this board are great, Donnie (DonWG) always shares his ideas and secrets and seems to enjoy it. I talked to Bison about problems and he had no problem giving me answers, and even told me some problems with the 200r's and how to solve them. And Richard Clark, what can I say about him, the guy has the ultimate Turbo Buick playground and he isnt afraid to let people use it and he also shares the knowledge.

Boosted Nova go to gnttype.org and get the torque specs, then get plastigage and measure all the oil clearances before final assembly. And If you have a problem try and contact some of the guys I posted above, I'm sure they wont mind helping you.

I cant stand these types either...cause the minute somthing goes wrong after u forked out 5 grand for the "professional" engine... its not their fault?... its the "tuning".. "U ran to lean?...thats why it blew up!?....blow me.....a torque spec is a "tourqe spec" and a clearance is a "clearance" and there is no santa clause and turbo tooth fairy...lol.. U just need to be anal with these engines, measure twice cut once....U guys should just stop keeping secrets....all u have to is buy ur motor and duplicate it if we really wanted to steal ur secrets.... then return it:cool::cool::cool: ahahahahahhhaaaaa

Back