Condensation in my oil, is this normal? Update 05/21/2015 Found a problem

Are those heads unported? Do know how they compare to a set of unported champions? I looked back at the picture of the rockers. There definitely is anew offset compared to stock heads.

Are those heads unported? Do know how they compare to a set of unported champions? I looked back at the picture of the rockers. There definitely is anew offset compared to stock heads.

I had the $300 port job done on advice from Nick. No major porting. I did end up buying the TA rockers. I spoke with the owner at TA Performance and you can use the HS's with some work. He runs them on one of his cars with the aluminum heads but for simplicity sake I decided to just buy the rockers. I will be selling my 1.6 Harland Sharps with 1200 miles on them this week.

I don't know the flow difference between these and the irons. Here is my flow charts after porting.

I forgot today is mothers day so I can't work on the motor. I've decided to take the week to get the motor ready to put in. Don't really want to rush it.

Kind of poking along here. Got a few things on the motor last night. Made my own studs for the headers which look nice. Coated the headers etc. Slow progress because my memory isn't real good. Trying to remember where everything goes and what order it goes in. I took pictures as I tore it down so that's helping. Just taking my time I guess and double checking everything.

I don't see the 5/9 update...just a picture of your engine. How about a quick recap of this thread for us lazy folk. :D

Unless you have to have it for visual emissions equipment, I'ld dump that EGR. TT chip doesn't use it anyway.

I don't have to have the emissions stuff on the motor but back when I built it the first time I couldn't get the custom plate to cover the intake so I just threw it back on. I have a Champion intake and it's welded shut so I could go without anything there if I wanted to just don't like the look.

Basically to sum up the last 8 months. Had the stoker built and installed last fall. Lifted the head early on. Why it lifted no one knows for sure but my old champion irons had been shaved to 40 cc chambers and the heads didn't get CC'd during the build. Were shooting for 8.9 comp and ended up 9.6 ish. My logs looked pretty good, no serious detonation, just a blip here and there. Don't want to get in to all the theories of what exactly went wrong. I decided to go with TA heads this time and kept everything else the same. We did pull the motor all the way down and check everything this winter. Re ringed it and new cam bearings.

The condensation issue was a result of the head gasket between cylinder 4 and 6 got compromised at the water jacket. Under a little boost it would mist coolant in the engine but never milkshake it. I had white goo everywhere but clean oil.

At any rate there is some good info in this thread on how I figured out my problem.

I'm going to fire the car with the 5.7 chip and once I'm up and running I'm going SD2. Already have the chip and it's real similar to the software I use on my Harley. I'll have the ability to control more aspects of the fuel this way. Not just WOT.

Mine's welded shut too. I'm happy to gain some space without that stupid pos.

I'm up and running. Put on about a 100 miles so far.

Had a small set back at first start up. Oil galley plug fell out on drivers side, had oil pressure but rockers didn't quiet down. Shut it off and primed it while looking down in the timing cover. Knew what the problem was. Pulled the timing cover and fixed that. Freak deal I guess. Got it back together and did a shake down drive to seat rings. Had a little more noise in valve train than I was comfortable with so I pulled a rocker shaft last night for inspection. All looked perfect so I re set the valves again and she's purring. Did and oil change so now I'm ready for some seat time.

I'm going SD2 shortly but running the car on the 5.7 now. My plan is to just ride around for a while. Maybe 500 to 1000 miles and keep my eye on things. No real boost, going to stay under 5 pounds for now. I drive a lot of highway miles so it doesn't take long. Them I'm going to install the SD2 and start tuning. I put the factory actuator back on the car with the hopes of controlling boost at a much lower level than I could with the HD actuator. With the new heads I really have no idea how this is going to go. I would like to be able to control boost at 12 psi for a while and work my way up slowly. We'll see what happens.

That's really all for now and I hope this thread stays on a positive up swing from here on out. Here's a few pics.

I've got about 200 miles on the motor now and I'm still having problems. If anyone deserved to give up on this car I deserve to.

Couple issues like any new motor has when you first fire them up. I worked through them. I drove it after a couple start ups and seated the rings. The way I did it was to go up a hill under 5 psi of boost and come down the back side in drive with a load on the motor. I did this 3 times. After that I've been just driving the car when I can and taking it easy. The car has never seen more than 10 pounds of boost.

I went 70 miles today. 35 miles one way at 65 to 70 mph and 35 miles back. Car's running perfect. Coolant temp is spot on and great oil pressure. I stopped just outside of town at a friends house and the car is smoking out the tailpipes. I'd idle it up to 2000 rpm's for a bit and exhaust looked clean. Let off gas and smoke rolled out. I have video but can't post it tonight.

I pulled the MAF pipe off after talking with Husek and I have oil sitting in the inlet bell. I must have a seal going out of the turbo. It's basically new but with the problems with that last motor it may have gotten hurt??

This is starting to get frustrating.

I've got about 200 miles on the motor now and I'm still having problems. If anyone deserved to give up on this car I deserve to.

Couple issues like any new motor has when you first fire them up. I worked through them. I drove it after a couple start ups and seated the rings. The way I did it was to go up a hill under 5 psi of boost and come down the back side in drive with a load on the motor. I did this 3 times. After that I've been just driving the car when I can and taking it easy. The car has never seen more than 10 pounds of boost.

I went 70 miles today. 35 miles one way at 65 to 70 mph and 35 miles back. Car's running perfect. Coolant temp is spot on and great oil pressure. I stopped just outside of town at a friends house and the car is smoking out the tailpipes. I'd idle it up to 2000 rpm's for a bit and exhaust looked clean. Let off gas and smoke rolled out. I have video but can't post it tonight.

I pulled the MAF pipe off after talking with Husek and I have oil sitting in the inlet bell. I must have a seal going out of the turbo. It's basically new but with the problems with that last motor it may have gotten hurt??

This is starting to get frustrating.
I wouldn't think so, but hell with your luck. Maybe send it to Bison and have him look at it

The shaft is tight and it spins great. Just not sure how oil could have gotten in to the inlet bell?? Just a little bit but there was oil there. I'm going to pull a few plugs today and see what they look like. Would have thought the rings would be seated by now?

I'm no expert but doesn't it take a bit more boost to really seat the rings? Either way, how'd the oil make it to the inlet otherwise if not the turbo unless you run all the emissions stuff still that oils up the intercooler.

Blue smoke. Smelled like oil too. Doesn't do it when the car is cold, as a matter of fact it has never done it prior to yesterday. I know I haven't driven it more than a couple hundred miles but almost all of them has been highway and up to temp on the coolant and oil.

I am running a PCV with a catch can and check valve. Also a breather in each valve cover. Zero blow by coming from valve covers.

It may take more than 5 pounds of boost to seat the rings? My engine builder said they should seat pretty quick. It has seen 10 psi maybe 3 times. The turbo spools pretty quick BTW.