You can type here any text you want

Connecting Rods

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

QWIKWE4

Hi everyone, I wanted to get some input as to what I should do. Heres the situation. I'm in the process of rebuilding my engine with Speed-pro pistons, billet centers and a girdle, roller cam and ported heads. I took the connecting rods to the machine shop to have them re-sized and magged with the arp bolts and one of the rods had a crack in the cap.

What I wanted input on was, for my build would replaceing all of the rods with good new stock ones be ok? Or should I buy new aftermarket rods like K1's?

I want to make about 450-500hp at the crank. Will stock rods be reliable at this level? It is a street car that will be driven.

I believe the stock rods are fine for that horsepower level, i have 6 unabused 2-dot stock rods from a NA 4.1 block $60. shipped.if you want them.

I'm definately interested. Is there a difference between the N/A rods and the turbo rods?

2 dot are 2 dot and came in turbo motors. See how much it will cost you to prep the rods versus buying the K1 set. If they're about the same go K1 for insurance. If there's a big diff then think of it this way. Stock will hold 4-500 hp and K1 will hold up much better. I have carrillos for mine and got them pretty cheap. $225 shipped to me so for the time of polishing and prep of the rods it's better for me.

The 2 dot rods also came in N/A engines and should be good to 600 hp with good tune. I got my replacement rods for a build from an 86 Supreme a few years ago. Ran 10.9 @ 3800+ lb. If your goal is 500 hp it won't be an issue;)

No difference if they have the two dots,however the ones in a natually aspired experience less stress because they are not being pounded by a higher horsepower turbo engine.

At the price of the K1's there is no way I would put a stock rod in a 500 horse engine. The stock rods will live if the tune up is correct. It seems like some little hicup always raises it's ugly little head. This is why I wouldn't run the stck rod. I want the engine overbuilt for the application.

Just my opinion.

Stock is fine for that power level. Hundreds of us ran them up to 600 hp for years till the K1s were available. Ive had great luck with the old ATR H-beam rods ive been using. Same set of rods in their 4th engine with nothing ever done to them. Seems like the biggest problem is still the block. The one in my sig is about 670hp and on stock rods as assembled from GM:eek: Dont detonate and it will last a while

Hi everyone, I wanted to get some input as to what I should do. Heres the situation. I'm in the process of rebuilding my engine with Speed-pro pistons, billet centers and a girdle, roller cam and ported heads. I took the connecting rods to the machine shop to have them re-sized and magged with the arp bolts and one of the rods had a crack in the cap.

What I wanted input on was, for my build would replaceing all of the rods with good new stock ones be ok? Or should I buy new aftermarket rods like K1's?

I want to make about 450-500hp at the crank. Will stock rods be reliable at this level? It is a street car that will be driven.

Dude if all you need is one rod cap I'll send you one for free. If you are getting them resized then it won't be a problem for your machinist to mate it up and size it right. PM me if you want it.

Thanks for all the input guys I decided to get a replacement stock rod that I got from someone locally out of a 4.1 NA motor. I sent that one to get magged and I'm just waiting to hear from the machine shop now.

I spent the money and ordered K-1 rods. I figured as long as the motor is in pieces I may as well replace the old, stock rods that have seen quite a bit of abuse since I bought the car in 1989. :)

Back