considering buying a glock 23

Absolutely. The basic ccw course is kinda lame. BUT, it is indeed formal safety instruction. It's better than nothing. If ya wanna go higher, there's always courses like thunder ranch, or gunsite. Pay a grand, go down, and get some really good safety and tactical instruction.
And there's trap shooting at high school? That's outstanding. It's cool to see that there's still some schools, that teach the old ways.

My 2¢

This website is for a company that does framework, specifically Glocks and other polymers. Anyways, the link above goes to a great essay on his website that sums up how I feel about concealed carry. It's not about the option to shoot someone. It's about taking their option to kill you at will away from them. It's a great read and maybe after you see what they can do to a Glock, you'll keep it for sure!

Now to stir up a second hornet's nest :smile:, is this your first .40 and what are your thoughts? Away we go!!!!!:D

too late i sold it bought a colt 1911

well it didn't go far, my bro in law bought it. said if he didn't want it he'd sell it back for the 350. i then went out and bought a colt 1911 80 series. now i have 2 one springfield armory 1911 and now this one. i looked them up on auctionarms.com and i was surprised the spring sold for more then the colt. will be taking it to the range towards the later part of april. wanna see how it shoots. i just couldn't get over the trigger safety and i'm the type who likes the thumb safety. heck i've carried since 93, so it's just what i'm comfortable with. paid 500 for the colt and also my springfield. i've shot the springfield and it's nice but to bulky for conceal carry. just my 02, so i may be selling one of my 1911's come end of next month when the gunshow is here in town. anyone like 1911's as to anything else? i prefer my baby eagle as it's well balanced but always am looking for something else to add to my collection that i may keep.

and that wasn't my 1st 40, had a beretta compact, smaller then my taurus millenium 45 i carry. i didn't like it as my pinky would hang off the bottom of the grip so i sold it to my bro in law and he sold it to his bro. the other brother is a beretta man. anyway 40's seem like good guns with a nice punch. i'm still gonna carry my 45 as if needed i know what it'll do but then again that also depends on where you hit them and with what ammo.

That's one of things about Glock. You can buy and sell them with no remorse. It's a Glock after all. Now, my 1911's...that's a different story. I'm partial to 1911's like you. A lot of people are spooked by seeing it carried in condition 1, but they don't realize that it takes a lot more for a 1911 to fire than a glock or similar trigger safety gun. I carry a SA Champion LW Operator. I like the 4 in bull barrel in combo with a light rail. Since you mentioned ammo, can't go wrong with ranger T's or HST's, although I've been trying out Hornady TAP (red LE box). It's a little lighter at 200gr, but it's got some decent velocity.