Curt's White pearl project

onefastgn

Here is the start of another strip and paint. This ones getting all the bells and whistles. It's going to look pretty cool pearl white! Has a small dent in the rear quarter panel :eek: I'm installing a new quarter panel next week. Most every panel will be off to realign all gaps and I'm installing better doors on both sides. A ton of work ahead of me, but it's going to be sweet when it's done.
Suprise, suprise....you never know what your going to find, even on southern doors. One had been side swiped and some idiot drilled holes in it to pull the dent. I had to weld them all shut and re-pull the dent.

Attachments

• DSCN2942.JPG
    DSCN2942.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 525
  • DSCN2938.JPG
    DSCN2938.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 495
  • DSCN2940.JPG
    DSCN2940.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 463
  • DSCN2943.JPG
    DSCN2943.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 445
  • DSCN2939.JPG
    DSCN2939.JPG
    1,018.5 KB · Views: 443
  • tn.jpeg
    tn.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 435
  • swapmeetparts059.jpg
    swapmeetparts059.jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 436
  • tn-2.jpeg
    tn-2.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 422
  • tn-3.jpeg
    tn-3.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 412
  • tn-4.jpeg
    tn-4.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 395
Genlemen I Just don't know what say about this BROTHER, he goes over and beyone to please.
The reason I know this is because he to care of me, my GN is one of the Sharpest in Cleveland Ohio.
Everywhere I go people tell me how good my car looks and it's all because of Tony.
The man is a beast on these cars,Tony keep up the good work.

Genlemen I Just don't know what say about this BROTHER, he goes over and beyone to please.
The reason I know this is because he to care of me, my GN is one of the Sharpest in Cleveland Ohio.
Everywhere I go people tell me how good my car looks and it's all because of Tony.
The man is a beast on these cars,Tony keep up the good work.
Thanks for the kind words Bro! I'm glad too hear you love your car.
I'm going to be installing the Spoolfool front and rear fillers to this beast. I'm looking forward to using Mikes fillers.

Progress pictures. Door jams are sand blasted, and partial quarter panel is installed. I decided to bond on the quarter instead of welding it on. I really liked how it went together. Now on to stripping the car to bare metal. The first picture is only just the start of the damaged area, i needed to have the pillar pulled out some in order to get the correct fit, and the inner well was crushed in pretty bad and needed some meat there in order to pull out the well area before removing the quarter panel all together into the jam area. Oh what fun!
DSCN2958.JPG
DSCN2959.JPG
DSCN2962.JPG
DSCN2967.JPG
DSCN2960.JPG

Up Date. While working around the windshield, i came a cross some unwanted rust around all the trim clips. So out came the sand blaster and guess what??? Damn holes. I had to weld somewhere around 20 holes and then applied Metal to Metal over top of all the holes i welded shut. It's done. I'm hoping all the big surprises are done. I have everything stripped to bare metal now. Time to remove the doors and gets this girl into epoxy primer sometime next week. Oh and i had to sand blast inside my shop because it was raining out...i will never do that again for sure...what a mess!
IMAG0953.jpg
IMAG0954.jpg
IMAG0958.jpg
IMAG0959.jpg
IMAG0960.jpg
IMAG0961.jpg
IMAG0962.jpg
IMAG0963.jpg

Up Date. While working around the windshield, i came a cross some unwanted rust around all the trim clips. So out came the sand blaster and guess what??? Damn holes. I had to weld somewhere around 20 holes and then applied Metal to Metal over top of all the holes i welded shut. It's done. I'm hoping all the big surprises are done. I have everything stripped to bare metal now. Time to remove the doors and gets this girl into epoxy primer sometime next week. Oh and i had to sand blast inside my shop because it was raining out...i will never do that again for sure...what a mess!View attachment 172862View attachment 172863View attachment 172864View attachment 172865View attachment 172866View attachment 172867View attachment 172868View attachment 172869

Looks like a tough repair working around windshield. Good job.

Looks like a tough repair working around windshield. Good job.
Thanks, it's wasn't as simple as i was hoping it to be. I think i used a full roll of tape and four layers of paper and plastic to protect the windshield. It was just a real tight area to try to weld the holes shut and i had to use a dremel tool in order to knock off the welds so it wouldn't stop the clips from going back on the correct way. I figured the windshield was $200.00 for a new one if it didn't work. I was trying to save Curt some money and it looks like it worked perfect. Learned something new i guess.:) I'm glad all the sand blasting is complete. I look forward to getting the epoxy primer on to protect the bare metal. It's nice to have a customer that wants a quality job and done right, I can't wait to see it painted sometime here in the next month or so. I only wish i could work more then only a few days a week at best. More pictures to come!

Update pictures. Stripping all the paint that is left on the bottom of the rockers and wheel wells and every place else. Door are comming off Thursday to strip the inner door jams, then on to masking and then epoxy priming the car the next week. Then everything else will come apart that is left on the car.
tn.jpeg
tn-1.jpeg
tn-2.jpeg
tn-3.jpeg
This is all the small time consuming stuff on the bottom of the car and jams.

Whats your opinion on painting rear glass jams? I have the glass out and not sure if the glass will stay sealed in if I paint The jams

Whats your opinion on painting rear glass jams? I have the glass out and not sure if the glass will stay sealed in if I paint The jams
It would be perfectly fine. If i was going to have this one out i would have at least epoxy primed it before the windshield went back in. The windshield sealer will stick just fine. this would be the same for the rear also.
I would also like to add that i would not use spray can primer on the bare metal...it's not the best to use. A good epoxy primer at least would be great for the area so corroison won't be a concern and if you want to paint the area, then go ahead if you want to.

Update. Didn't get as far as i was hoping. Doors are removed and new hinges are installed. Rear quarter panel bone work is done and ready for primer. Started to mask the car. Ran into having to remove the driverside fender, some of the clips on the inside of the fender/door well were missing and the bottom brackete was installed
tn-5.jpeg
tn-6.jpeg
tn-7.jpeg
tn-8.jpeg
wrong, Someone before Curt had this car sure did some funny things to this car, maybe they were missing some screws too...lol:D. None the less it's going pretty good. I still plan on having it in epoxy primer by Thursday next week. Then i can do the rest of the bondo work and take the hood and trunk off.

Update. Finally ready for epoxy primer. Crap long day masking and sanding jams and getting the doors ready Ran into small things along the way. Even though it has had
tn-10.jpeg
tn-11.jpeg
tn-12.jpeg
tn-13.jpeg
tn-14.jpeg
tn-15.jpeg
tn-19.jpeg
tn-18.jpeg
some problems, i feel good about all the extra work that needed done before the primer goes down. It's taken me almost 45 days to get it to where it is today. Of corse that's only about 15 days of real work on the car.

Update...All epoxy primed with two coats. Did a new process using PreKote on the bare metal, way better then the old technology that causes
tn-20.jpeg
tn-21.jpeg
tn-22.jpeg
it to flash rust after you use metal prep. Now onto long blocking the car with 180 grit and then filling all the low spots, then re-epoxy prime the entire car again and then fill primer will be applied. Hood and trunk will be coming off next week also. Enjoy!