Custom length oil pump pickup

turbodave231

Here are a few pictures of an oil pump pickup I just finished for a deep oil pan.

I started with a new Melling pickup. I carefully make a plug out of blue shop towel and force it down the tube. I also bag the screen to keep it clean. This keeps all metal chips from getting into the screen area. Then mark the cut line with masking tape.
IMG_2447.JPG

The pipe has a couple of dimples the extend down both sides of the pipe. I cut below the dimpled area with a cutoff wheel on an angle grinder. Then remove the flange from the pipe.

IMG_2451.JPG

I made a small fixture that holds the flange and mounts to a rotary table. Using an end mill, I cut the remaining pipe out of the flange and add a chamfer at the top using a ball end mill. This will allow a new piece of pipe to go thru the flange and get welded together.

IMG_2463.JPG

With the flange machined and the end of the tube deburred, It time to add an extension to the pickup.

IMG_2476.JPG

I use a double hose clamp to hold the pieces together and mock it up on the block.

IMG_2485.JPG

A few tack welds and then check the parts for fit.

IMG_2491.JPG

I cut a couple pieces of pegboard and ply in two different thicknesses to use as a gauge between the pickup and the pan bottom.

IMG_2499.JPG

I shoot for clearance between 1/4" to 3/8" between the pickup and the bottom of the pan. OK this one falls into that general area......time to weld it up!!

IMG_2519.JPG

OK, the welding is done. Time to double check the angle of the pickup in relationship to the pan bottom.

IMG_2510.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2452.JPG
    IMG_2452.JPG
    387.8 KB · Views: 172
IMG_2515.JPG

Here is the finished pickup tube. No spacer required and the pickup is positioned so it will stay in the oil during hard braking and hard launches.

Now its time to weld the windage tray stand-offs in the oil pan so the windage tray can be bolted in place (removable for cleaning etc.). I took the gold chromate coating off the inside of the pan in the blast cabinet. It will get a nice powder coating inside and out when its all done

IMG_2520.JPG

Last edited:
Do you have a picture of the windage tray you are building?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app