You can type here any text you want

custom PT61?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dejacky

I've decided to upgrade from the TE-44 since I found it difficult to attain 450rwhp on pump gas from a 3.0 liter inline-size engine. So, I'd like to try a buick style PT61 but want to know if any exist with the following options:

v-band turbine housing (meant for external wastegate of course)
4inch compressor inlet

Does anyone know who sells a turbo like this and for the best price?

thanks,
Jacky

Jacky you should be able to get that from anyone.
You may also want to consider a 66-67BB on the motor.

In Precision speak, that would be a PT6176S with a T4 tangential turbine housing in either .58 or .68 A/R for the 3.0L Inline 6. You can also get this turbo with the dual ball bearing cartridge, which would be called a PT6176RS.
All of the supporting vendors who carry Precision turbos can get either one of these for you. The part numbers for the T4 tangential turbine housings are TH5876A and TH6876A, .58 and .68 A/R respectively. No T4 housings available for the T31 wheel, and it would be a slim chance if they have any T4 tangential housings for the T350 wheel left. All of these T4 tangential turbine housings are meant for use with an external wastegate and all of them have a 3 5/8" v-band flange for the downpipe.
Hope this helps.

Patrick

Thanks for the very helpful information guys! My concern is the turbine housing must be that typical 3-bolt style to fit my exhaust manifold, so will the PT6176S still work RUQWKNF? I've ridden in a 8.3:1 compression 3 liter inline 6 engine with the precision dbb PT67 (4in inlet with .68 a/r) and it was a little laggy for my tastes...i prefer something with better transient spool and more "oomph" acceleration starting at 3,000rpm at least :biggrin: . My engine is currently 9:1 compression, so I thought a PT61 with 69 turbine wheel with .63 a/r would yield not too much slower spool compared to the te-44....all the while giving me more power and larger/better torque curve on the street with pump gas.

Thought you were looking for a T4 tangential style turbine housing that has a V-band flange for the downpipe and is for an external wastegate?

So if I read you correctly now, you need the Buick style 3-bolt turbine housing right?
Ok, then get the .63 A/R ratio and either get the T350 turbine wheel, or the P-trim wheel. The P-trim wheel will be slightly slower to come up on boost because it is a larger turbine wheel. I don't recommend the 69 trim turbine wheel with your combo. The P-trim wheel will make more power, but probably spool up about 200-300 rpms slower than the T350 wheel will. So, with that said, there are two options in journal bearing form,

PT6152S with a THB3-52 Buick style 3-bolt turbine housing.
PT6176S with a THB3-76 Buick style 3-bolt turbine housing.

Out of those two, only one is available with the dual ball bearing cartridge and that is the PT6176RS. R = dual ball bearing cartridge.
HTH

Patrick

Thought you were looking for a T4 tangential style turbine housing that has a V-band flange for the downpipe and is for an external wastegate?

So if I read you correctly now, you need the Buick style 3-bolt turbine housing right?
Ok, then get the .63 A/R ratio and either get the T350 turbine wheel, or the P-trim wheel. The P-trim wheel will be slightly slower to come up on boost because it is a larger turbine wheel. I don't recommend the 69 trim turbine wheel with your combo. The P-trim wheel will make more power, but probably spool up about 200-300 rpms slower than the T350 wheel will. So, with that said, there are two options in journal bearing form,

PT6152S with a THB3-52 Buick style 3-bolt turbine housing.
PT6176S with a THB3-76 Buick style 3-bolt turbine housing.

Out of those two, only one is available with the dual ball bearing cartridge and that is the PT6176RS. R = dual ball bearing cartridge.
HTH

Patrick
Patrick, I need the buick style 3-bolt housing, but I also wanted it to have v-band on the exhaust outlet since it makes it easier to remove/attach the down-pipe. Since I'm using an external wastegate, i was hoping this same housing existed, but without the hole on the turbine housing for the internal wastegate :confused: . I'm just curious, why do you not recommend the 69 trim turbine wheel? Here is a dyno from a buddy of mine with same setup and the 69 trim turbine wheel:

Supra-dyno-4-06.gif

This is at 16.3psi and .028'' spark plug gap with the NGK 3330 plugs. The early dip in power is due to him unable to tune out a rich spot with his piggy-back ecu setup....I don't forsee this problem for myself since I'm using a stand-alone engine management system (AEM EMS). Also, he was getting spark blow-out at higher rpm, hence limiting his rpm range. A CDI fixed this issue for him (our cars run to ~7200-7400rpm redline). Thank you for your insight, it's very helpful!

We later found out the above dyno of my friends 3.0L 6 cylinder engine with pt61 turbo is null because it was detonating on the dyno, hence the large torque and power differences. RUQWKNF, you've convinced me to get a dual ball bearing PT6776 turbo (4inch inlet compressor) instead of a pt61, thanks :biggrin: .

We later found out the above dyno of my friends 3.0L 6 cylinder engine with pt61 turbo is null because it was detonating on the dyno, hence the large torque and power differences. RUQWKNF, you've convinced me to get a dual ball bearing PT6776 turbo (4inch inlet compressor) instead of a pt61, thanks :biggrin: .

The 6776R is a great turbo if you can get your hands on one.

patrick,

i'm looking for a gt6176rs with a divided t4 turbine housing. even though my 3.8 is larger than his 3.0, we're probably making the same power n/a. i haven't found very much info on how to chose a divided housing, or how it will affect spool. i thought this would interest dejacky...and help the gt6776rs spool several hundred rpm sooner.

To my knowledge, I do not know of any company that offers a divided T4 housing , whether Tangential or On-center for either one of those turbos. Your last bet would be to check with T-netics and see if they offer one, as both of these turbos take a T3/T4 style turbine housing that is machined for a 76 P-trim turbine wheel.

Also, nobody in the Buick business make a Buick style 3-bolt inlet turbine housing that has a v-band downpipe discharge. You would have to get one of these flanges from RJC,

a_DPF-EXTWG.jpg

Exhaust Flanges

And then a V-band flange to weld to the RJC flange for the downpipe. Obviously, you would not have any internal wastegate operation and could only run an external wastegate either on the cross over pipe or have a pipe coming off the up pipe just below the inlet of the turbo, that would feed a remotely mounted, or hanging external wastegate. You said you are running an external wastegate so this would not be an issue.

Check with ATP Turbo for a V-band flange setup as they have many to choose from.

Steel Flanges: atpturbo.com

The reason why I didn't mention the 69 trim turbine wheel, is because we found that it was not a very good match to the 61mm compressor wheel, when compared to the T350 (6152) and P-trim (6176) wheels. I sold very few 6169 turbos when I was at Precision. Also, I personally do not recommend divided turbine housings on motors larger than 2.0L, whether it's a 4 cylinder, V6 or V8. But that's just me.

Patrick

Back