Dave Bamford's 4.8 LSX Conversion

The junkyard mock up motor lost ring seal at 750 rwhp. LSX block going together as we speak. Im glad I didn't have my old v6 engine builder assemble that LSX motor, it would have cost 20k more that I am paying now![/q
So what causes a ring seal to fail? Is this a part failure due to excessive HP or another issue...

My new LSX engine builder said everything looked fine pistons,bearings. Rings lost seal due to reusing old 100000 plus mile rings from junkyard motor. I'm sure 900 plus flywheel hp didn't help...

Ok gotcha, thanks for the feedback. Cant wait to see how the lsx motor turns out and what HP it makes!

I'm hoping my stock reused rings make it. I'm probably not going to turn mine up that car right away.
It is good to see that it made that much power through the stock short block. Those are killer numbers. Soon more people will get it;)

I cant wait to see the results with this motor!

Neither can I.

How about some real tech Dave, seriously I'm really interested in hearing about some of the issues you've run into with this swap and the combo. How come you made 450 less HP than Hot Rod and you followed their recipe? Do you think the Hot Rod article was BS or did you run into some snags along the way?

How about the guys on YB.com running bottom 8's with junkyard motors, do you still think this is doable?

In your limited time with the LS motor before it expired how did it compare to the twin 67 turbo Buick V6 you guys ran? It almost made as much HP as your single 70mm turbo 109 Buick V6 did but do you feel it made that kind of power easier and with a safer tune? Do you think if you turned it up to the power level your TSM combo made it would be any different?

Do you think the new LSX block twin 70mm turbo motor will make more power than your twin 67mm turbo Buick V6 used to run?

I am sure you are going to think this is a slam and some kind of witch hunt but its not I am really interested to hear what happened and why you guys came up short. If you don't want to share or discuss that is fine and I will just ignore the personal attacks and BS that is sure to follow if that's the case.

Neither can I.

How about some real tech Dave, seriously I'm really interested in hearing about some of the issues you've run into with this swap and the combo. How come you made 450 less HP than Hot Rod and you followed their recipe? Do you think the Hot Rod article was BS or did you run into some snags along the way?

How about the guys on YB.com running bottom 8's with junkyard motors, do you still think this is doable?

In your limited time with the LS motor before it expired how did it compare to the twin 67 turbo Buick V6 you guys ran? It almost made as much HP as your single 70mm turbo 109 Buick V6 did but do you feel it made that kind of power easier and with a safer tune? Do you think if you turned it up to the power level your TSM combo made it would be any different?

Do you think the new LSX block twin 70mm turbo motor will make more power than your twin 67mm turbo Buick V6 used to run?

I am sure you are going to think this is a slam and some kind of witch hunt but its not I am really interested to hear what happened and why you guys came up short. If you don't want to share or discuss that is fine and I will just ignore the personal attacks and BS that is sure to follow if that's the case.

Chris

Please take your stupid questions to another thread. This is a serious thread about a LS conversion. I'm not going to take your bait so don't bother posting here.

Thanks

Are you using the extra head bolt holes in the lsx block?[/quote
Are you using the extra head bolt holes in the lsx block?

I am still using the stock style heads that were CNC ported by trick flow. No extra head bolts are being used. I hear the stock heads are good to 20-25 lbs, I'm at 15 lbs right now and it's a beast!

I had to purchace a new head stud kit for the lsx block, the ls1 bolts wouldn't work. I have the extra bolts when decide to upgrade to the 6 bolt heads.

Does that block use 1/2" studs? Can stock casting heads be drilled out for the extra holes? I never really looked into this.

Does that block use 1/2" studs? Can stock casting heads be drilled out for the extra holes? I never really looked into this.

The material isn't there with the stock head for the extra head bolt provision, similar to a stock Buick iron head vs ta or champion. The 4 corner head bolts appear to be the same diameter as the arp kit I used for the 4.8 5.3 block,only difference being depth.