Dave's Turbo-T Restoration Trend

onefastgn

Dave's Turbo-T Restoration is under way. This is going to get a pretty good size work scope. It's a complete strip and paint with just about everything i can get off the car. This car is the factory original paint job, and has been in Dave's family since it was new off the show room floor.Your going to be very happy with the final results, Thanks Dave.

Attachments

• DSC_2340.jpg
    DSC_2340.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 696
  • DSC_2334.jpg
    DSC_2334.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 711
  • DSC_2351.jpg
    DSC_2351.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 696
  • DSC_2331.jpg
    DSC_2331.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 699
  • DSC_2338.jpg
    DSC_2338.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 705
More pictures

More shots

Attachments

• DSC_2345.jpg
    DSC_2345.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 660
  • DSC_2328.jpg
    DSC_2328.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 672
  • DSC_2354.jpg
    DSC_2354.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 663
  • DSC_2326.jpg
    DSC_2326.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 655
  • DSC_2336.jpg
    DSC_2336.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 657
Oh, there will be NO scratching, other than what happens from regular driving of course. I didn't take great care of my old paint because it was so far gone, but now it will be kept clean, trust me. 2012 should be an exciting year. Tony has been great to work with so far. There should be a pile of parts already on its way!

Well work is under way. Here is a few shots of the car taken apart and about 5 hours of strip sanding. So far so go, I also fitted the new header panel in my spare time today..lol. Hood, trunk lid and doors will be comming off after the car is in epoxy primer, and will be painted off the car. Still tons to do!:D

Attachments

• DSC_2466.jpg
    DSC_2466.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 509
  • DSC_2463.jpg
    DSC_2463.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 522
  • DSC_2462.jpg
    DSC_2462.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 524
What was the header panel nos or after market?

It was aftermarket from Gbody. We chose the white one with the hood ornament holes becuase it was supposedly a much better fit. The other one they offer is the black gel coat one for a GN from Danko I believe. Don't know where they get this one. From what Tony said about installation I'd hate to see how the "worse fitting" one would look.

Correct! it was not fun to fit...but I'm a little anal about most everything i do,,lol. But really when i went to first put it on i almost sent it back because it was so far off on both sides. The pictures does not show how much time was spent just fitting it. I had it on and off at least 20 time in order to get it to fit. And i will still need to do a fair amount of blocking on the flat parts of the fiberglass in order to make it smooth. I think they are all like this from what i have heard, some are better then others, you just have to get lucky and maybe get ones that better. I have about 4 hours in fitting it. But paying $275.00 is alot better then $650.00 for a used one, and still might have to do some fitting in order to make it look right. The hard parts done now, so on to the next part!

Thanks ! That kind of clears things up, if I had to replace my header. .The corners behind headlight bezel on my header panel are split. I think it can be repaired but just wanted some options.

beautiful car i have the same car congrats on helping save these great machines!
Thanks, I really enjoy re-doing them. This car is pretty clean after getting all the paint off. I should have it in black SPI epoxy Tuesday, then on to some body work then SPI Turbo 2K primer in the next week or so. Then onto disassembly.

His paint is checked as bad as mine is, shame GM did this poorly with these cars...Mine is getting painted as well.

Bryan

Car is now in black SPI epoxy primer. I'm also working the header panel to fill the emblem holes with SMC fiberglass resin and mat. Now onto hand blocking the whole car with 180 grit to find any low spots and then do some body work and re-epoxy prime again. Then i will remove of all the body panles so i can prep the jams off the car and fill prime the car apart and paint all the jams before putting the doors back on. Car is looking great.

Attachments

• DSC_2466.jpg
    DSC_2466.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 339
  • DSC_2481.jpg
    DSC_2481.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 338
  • DSC_2483.jpg
    DSC_2483.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 351
  • DSC_2486.jpg
    DSC_2486.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 348
  • DSC_2489.jpg
    DSC_2489.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 345
Thanks ! That kind of clears things up, if I had to replace my header. .The corners behind headlight bezel on my header panel are split. I think it can be repaired but just wanted some options.
What ever you do you will have to use SMC fiberglass resin ONLY from evercoat and only there mat. Do not use the standard evercoat resin...the factory part is SMC. If you use the standard evercoat resin ...it will peel and blister later down the line when the sun gets it hot. Just some FYI..:eek:

Looking good Tony. It already looks better than when I dropped it off, haha. I continue to be impressed at how quick you're getting stuff done. I suppose the only mystery part left is when you pull the doors and blast the bottom inside edge, right?

Looking good Tony. It already looks better than when I dropped it off, haha. I continue to be impressed at how quick you're getting stuff done. I suppose the only mystery part left is when you pull the doors and blast the bottom inside edge, right?
Shouldn't be to bad after looking at them. I wish i could work on it more then just two days a week, but it's coming along nicely. Thursday i plan on getting the header done the rest of the way and epoxy prime it and start hand blocking the car with 180 grit to find the low spots and then re epoxy prime the areas that need it. With all the metal finish work i did it looks pretty good so far. I will take the car apart in the next week or so to do the jams and then 2K fill prime the entire car apart. Then it's time to install the doors and continue hand blocking the entire car for base coat. I hope to have it in paint by late February to early March. I just want to make sure it's perfect before moving to the next step. I'm very pleased with how everything is going so far. Thanks ;)

You da man Tony! Looking great as always! I should have another one coming your way soon! ----Jeremy