Dave's Turbo-T Restoration Trend

Thanks for constantly updating the thread with pictures Tony. Just talked to the engine builder yesterday and it looks like the entire car project is going as planned, more smoothly than I expected actually. Hopefully it continues that way. Can't wait for the spring to get here!

What do people think about the rock guard that is sprayed along the bottom edge of the car? The plan as of now was to leave it off, but I keep going back and forth in my head. Maybe the car would look better without it, but not if it's all chipped up after a few years. What are people's thoughts and experiences?

I'd leave the rockguard. I plan on leaving mine when it comes time to paint. What products will you be using for the rockguard?

Thanks for constantly updating the thread with pictures Tony. Just talked to the engine builder yesterday and it looks like the entire car project is going as planned, more smoothly than I expected actually. Hopefully it continues that way. Can't wait for the spring to get here!

What do people think about the rock guard that is sprayed along the bottom edge of the car? The plan as of now was to leave it off, but I keep going back and forth in my head. Maybe the car would look better without it, but not if it's all chipped up after a few years. What are people's thoughts and experiences?
The factory rock guard is different from what is available today. The stuff they used back 20 years ago is real thick and rubbery. The whole process from SPI epoxy primer to there 2K primer and there clear gives the extra chip resistance that is needed to fight rock chips. I also add 3% activator to the base color just to help give it that little extra give. Technology has changed in the paint industry. My own personal experience it looks way better to have a show finish all the way to the bottom then just to take a great job and make it look less attractive. If your not driving on a gravel road i wouldn't want it done to my car. It's like putting mud flaps on it IMO. But the choice is yours. I would rather touch up a small chip if it were to happen, then to have to look at the rock guard in the long run.

A little under carriage work before the car is base coated this week. Damn hinges have held me up some on getting the car painted. Got one and the other one won't be here until next week sometime.

Attachments

• DSC_2578.JPG
    DSC_2578.JPG
    763.9 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC_2582.JPG
    DSC_2582.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 166
Pictures of chip guard applied.

Attachments

• DSC_2583.JPG
    DSC_2583.JPG
    857.8 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC_2584.JPG
    DSC_2584.JPG
    891.7 KB · Views: 183
Progress pictures today. Epoxy sealer is applied and Base coat complete. Just need to wait until this evening to clear the hell out of it. This car is going to look bad ass! I will post some pictures of the clear later tonight or tomorrow sometime.

Attachments

• DSC_2590.JPG
    DSC_2590.JPG
    849.1 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC_2588.JPG
    DSC_2588.JPG
    932.9 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC_2592.JPG
    DSC_2592.JPG
    740.4 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC_2597.JPG
    DSC_2597.JPG
    803.7 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC_2593.JPG
    DSC_2593.JPG
    939.9 KB · Views: 151
Progress pictures today. Epoxy sealer is applied and Base coat complete. Just need to wait until this evening to clear the hell out of it. This car is going to look bad ass! I will post some pictures of the clear later tonight or tomorrow sometime.

Looking great Tony! Hopefully I'll get this low mile car done so I can send it your way!

Clear is complete. Did 4 coats of clear and used 2 gallons of clear. Should be enough to wet sand and polish real nice. Now time to cut and buff over the next week. Then on to the rest of the parts.
DSC_2598.JPG
DSC_2601.JPG
DSC_2604.JPG
DSC_2606.JPG

Oh man, only two more months and I can start putting it back together!!! Tony, did that guy ever respond about the weather stripping?

Car is buffed out. Time to move it and start the parts. After everything is put back together it will get one last final polish. Looking good so far.

Attachments

• DSC_2622.JPG
    DSC_2622.JPG
    759.2 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC_2624.JPG
    DSC_2624.JPG
    844.4 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC_2625.JPG
    DSC_2625.JPG
    796.3 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC_2623.JPG
    DSC_2623.JPG
    888.3 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC_2631.JPG
    DSC_2631.JPG
    764.2 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC_2628.JPG
    DSC_2628.JPG
    861.8 KB · Views: 191
Don't know about in person, but in the pictures the rock guard really doesn't stand out. Glad I decided to go with it. Good work Tony.

Stunning job. My brother lives in pontiac really considering getting my car painted. What are the prices?