Day your GN was made

Try here

You'll see it.. it's on the body right over the rear inbetween the pumpkin and spring.. just look around you'll find it. It's not a hard one dont worry

This is what I was told, and I still didn't see it!

I'm trying to find mine on the 87 Limited, but if what I found is it, it wasnt legable. Can someone tell me about the car with the VIN #? its 1G4GM117HP433332

The car I had stolen was 439386 and was built in April 87 so yours is earlier than that. You can get close to the day by looking in the upper left corner of your body data plate on the cowl. There will be a code like H03B. That would decipher as:

H = 1987

03 = March

B = second week.

lol it's there! Keep looking! It's really faint on most cars but it's stamped there. I'd take a picture but my car was undercoated so it's long gone now. Any coatings and it will make it go away. Mark sounds like you found it! Get under there with a camera! I found it on 5 GN's that I've seen up in the air. It's on or around that trunk pan.. cover from the bottom of the pass side floor all the way back to the trunk. You'll find it! But like I said if someone as much as dusted the under side of your car with undercoating you'll never find it! :cool:

Mine is on the passenger side floor pan in front of the rear end.

Crawl under at the rear bumper...lay on stomach and look right above the axle housing between upper control arm and spring. Right when the floor pan angles down towards the ground its right there with some other numbers.

Good Luck. :D

Is this what you're looking for?

Thank You very much. (Patting myself on the back) I posted this 2 years or so awhile back. I'm pretty sure I was the first to find that number not that I'm in it for the praise and glory.

Lets remember that our cars were built in two stages. The tubs were assembled at Buick City in Flint and then trucked over to Pontiac for the finishing touch. Sounds like that may have been a least 2 weeks on some of the cars I have seen. BTW I've only seen this date on the Pontiac assembled cars. No other plants did it. Not even the ones built in Flint.

Attachments

• Frame Build Date.jpg
    Frame Build Date.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 515
Just bringing this back up for those who missed it or still could not tell where these numbers were located from Eric's pic but I crawled under there last night doing some other work and got my wire wheel grinder out and knocked off some of the undercoating to see my build date and to help others find where these number are. My body is marked 8-3-87 My Build sheets in the car show 9-14-87 and the info I got from GM Canada says 9-18-87 With these pics I took you should be able to find the numbers on your car super easy if you have'nt already. I have the heat sheild off that would cover the fuel lines but you can use them as a marker when looking for these numbers. Good luck and enjoy!! :cool: :cool:

3-9-2007+7-02-08+PM_0016.JPG

3-9-2007+7-01-17+PM_0013.JPG

Hahaha oh man I was way off, I thought I had found it directly above the diff but it was really hard to read. I was about to post pix and see if anyone could tell what it says. But I was looking at the wrong thing.

Ok Jim! Got a tough question for you now. I got the numbers from under the car and they say 8/6/85. If that is the day it was built then why does the build sheet say 10/7/85 and the door sticker say 10/85? Could my car have been ment to be an 85 but got stuck on the line when they switched the line to 86 models?

I know this is an old post, but its worth bringing back. Any insite would be great.

Leave it up to you to bring back a thread from 2007! lol

The number under the car was when the body was made. It could have sat around before someone ordered the car and the body met the frame. So sometime in 10 of 85 the frame met the body. That is typical for the body to sit around a few months before an order was placed and the body met the frame and became your car! :cool:

Ok Jim! Got a tough question for you now. I got the numbers from under the car and they say 8/6/85. If that is the day it was built then why does the build sheet say 10/7/85 and the door sticker say 10/85? Could my car have been ment to be an 85 but got stuck on the line when they switched the line to 86 models?

I know this is an old post, but its worth bringing back. Any insite would be great.

the stamping in question is probably a number that was put there at Fisher when the body shell was assembled. who knows how long it would have sat around until they actually mated it to a chassis, filled it with interior, and made an actual car out of it..

Leave it up to you to bring back a thread from 2007! lol

The number under the car was when the body was made. It could have sat around before someone ordered the car and the body met the frame. So sometime in 10 of 85 the frame met the body. That is typical for the body to sit around a few months before an order was placed and the body met the frame and became your car! :cool:

Someone has to keep you on your toes! Hehehe. Thanks for the help. I am glad I found it but holy crap that undercoat is a pain to get off.

Any idea on what the top 2 lines of numbers might mean?

Attachments

• 106 - Copy.jpg
    106 - Copy.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 218
yes the month, day, and year is punched right on the body. It's right above the rear on the passenger side. I use to have a picture but I can't find it. Just lay under there and look around you'll find it. If you have undercoat it might be harder to see it's not stamped real heavy but it's there on ALL GN's! :cool:

Its on the frame not the body

frame.jpg

P1010339.jpg