Deja Vu - Bought a Buick - need help deciding on what to do

Mike Licht

I was here first
Deja Vu- last night took me back to March 17 1986. The night Marainnne, my son Steve, (he was at the nats this year after his first year in calloge) in a car seat and I drove a silver T-Type away from the dealership. It was our first new car as a married couple, the car was for her but I snuck in the turbo motor option never realizing the potential of that car or how it would change our life. We got into 4 little street races that night on the local cruise strip and went 4-0 taking down a beater, a new Mustang, a new Vette and a early camaro with way too much cam (window sticker still in place). I was blown away with what just happened and the rest is history we ended up building a business. At the Nats this year Marianne looked at me and said "hey why don't you buy a car while your here, we should have another one". Not wanting to dissapoint her :rolleyes: I just hopped on the golf cart and starting looking I was afraid to say anything so she would not change he mind. No luck there but a friend told me about a white 86 T-type at home. The guy selling it was an old customer and about as nice and trust worthy a person as you will find. He also has had many of these cars (including GNX043 in the garage) and many old NOS parts. This car was as nice as any I have seen in some time, white with gray leather, astroroof, posi and tons of rare options. It still has a cat, original plug wires and stock exhaust (off a 5000 mile car) I bought it on the spot. As I drove it home I forgot how much fun and how nice these cars are when they are new and this one runs and drive just like new, it is dead stock, no rattles, original trans that still gets a bit of rubber in second. It was 1986 all over with the windows down and the turbo whistle. Now the question is what to do with it. Leave it alone, customize it, build it, what ever. I have already decided no slicks, skinnys and roll bars. Been there, done that this car is too nice for that. We were thinking two tone paint and maybe the G-Machine look. Then we thought just leave it alone but that is not happening. Maybe a stock appearing street sleeper right down to the stock airbox with low 11 potential. Marianne suggested sort of a recipie car with all the new parts we have with step by step timeslips so others and newbies can follow a plan. So lets hear what you think, what should we do with this creampuff, leather pillowtop seat car. Stock, race, g-machine, sleeper, paint, custom? It is getting a set of the new 18" GNX look billet wheels we are making soon, the rest I just don't know so help me out and give me your thoughts...... I went to bed last night looked over at Marianne and just said "thanks" she knew exactly what I meant and said "hope you like it and have fun" I rolled over and thought of 1986 again and that Camaro with too much cam, smiled and drifted off .

Mike Licht

Thanks to My beautiful wife and thank to Dave for making / keeping this car so nice. I cannot remember buying a car where the guy filled the tank, cleaned the car and reset the trip meter so I could see how many mile I drove the car AFTER I made the commitiment. Dave, your a class act.

Congrats Mike...on having such a great wife :)

Seems to me that the car should be kept pristine...

Lots of cars out there to make into fast cars...but if you must, I'd do the step by step recipe thing...

Bob

Originally posted by Mike Licht
Marianne suggested sort of a recipie car with all the new parts we have with step by step timeslips so others and newbies can follow a plan.

This is a really good idea. You get to have fun and perform a public service at the same time.

I think it would be interesting and helpful.

The recipe idea sounds the way to go. You will be happy with it. After a few years if you change your mind you can make a g-machine, or madded car. But it sure is hard to go backwards. I would do the recipe and drive it around untill I needed another change then get happy all over again.

I'll jump on the receipe band with the guys above me, it's a really good idea and I think it would be a lot of fun...You should either stop just short of 11.49, or do a low 11 sec. receipe and get thrown out of the track when you prove it :)

Mike,

Congrats! Hope my fiance will do the same for me since I got rid of the vette!! If you make 18 inch GNX wheels put me 1st in line : )

Do the step-by-step so we can all see what parts add what power. I live in East Pointe. Do you have a retail shop open to the public, or is it internet only? I used to buy some parts from you when you were on 12 1/2 & Groesbeck. Been a couple years. Now I need more power! Also, do you work on TRs, or only sell parts?

We just do mail order for now. We may do a retail store in the future but we will not be working on cars anytime soon if ever. Just not enough hours in the day for me to do that plus all the other things we do. We are really branching out with the wheels and fuel pumps we are in the process of making and that takes up all the time now. Looking like a recipie car from the feed back so far, any other ideas? I would think this is a mid / high 14 car as is so we will see soon.
Mike

Mike

I think the Buick will need a few upgrades to keep up the new Vettes, Camaros and Mustangs.:D Back in the 80's the stock turbo Buick ruled the streets but that new LS1, LS6, LS2 and supercharged mod motor are pretty tough. The old Buick will definitely need a BIGGER TURBO AND IC.;)

If we had some pics it might sway our opinion one way or the other :D

Build and beat the snot out of it, but keep the interior and exterior looking mint. You sell a bunch of gadets so put them on there and have some fun.

Mike,
Nice machine.. just like I like 'em ;)

I have the perfect finishing touch to any recipe :D

Buwahahaha.. let the fun commence

;)

Keep it as stock as poss. Best of luck with her Mike....

Best give that wife a big hug............Thank you dear.:D

Glad to see it worked out for you on that deal Mike. There were a lot of tire kickers out there looking at that car. Glad to see it went to a good home.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you Mike.

I bought a nice Silver T and it's too nice to go crazy with the mods. IMHO these cars are the most enjoyable when they are as close to stock as possible. I say go with a recipe car.

I'm going to make mine handle really nice, and eventually be capable of high-mid 11's with bolt ons only and only ever using Drag Radials.

Mine already has Razor's alky kit so I'm gonna have a car that I drive to the track, don't change the tires, don't change the gas and maybe not even bother with the dump pipe...and just rip off some 11's and make all the V8 guys cry and then drive her home. :D :cool:

Congrats Mike on your car. Keep the mods very simple, keeping it a close to stock will pay off later. Plus you can make these cars run in the 12's with very little money. Upgrade the fuel pump for sure, plus add a hot wire kit for it.

Somebody used to sell a thingy called a ScanMaster II or something like that...I can't think of his name now for the life of me...;). A scan tool of some sorts is a must.