You can type here any text you want

differences in 252 block Vs 231 block

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Another vote for ....EASY SWAP.

I dropped a 1974 Buick 350 into a 1981 V6 Regal and it was an easy weeknd job. Pretty much everything lined up and bolted right in. I remember I had to change the fan shroud and went with a flex fan. The biggest PITA about it all was that the front springs couldn't support the weight change. Had to get springs out of a Chevy P/Up if I remember right. Been a long time ago, but it was a snap.

since i ditched the fan shroud and belt driven fan for an electric fan i dont have to worry about the fan shroud not fitting. as for the springs i'm wanting to replace them. the ones i have are stiffer than stock but i'm wanting some different springs.

i have also found 3 buick 350's locally, one in a 68 skylark, 2 are 73's. i looked up the 68 and it has 10.25:1 compression with 230 hp and 350 lb ft of torque for the 2 bbl and 280 hp and 375 lb ft of torque with the 4 bbl version. i'm wanting to get that if i can for the right price. i already know the 73's will have lower CR and lower power numbers period but i'll still take one anyway. i have a feeling the 68 will cost more.

The 74 350 that I used was pulled out of a 70 Skylark....I got it that way. I had a 69 Buick 350 that I wanted to drop back into that Skylark. As for the 81 Regal with the 74 motor, I ended up building it to 11:1 compression, Isky racing cam and a Poston intake, along with some head porting. I planted an HEI distributor in her and I was good to go. Car was fun, and a challenge to keep straight on the road. Don't be afraid to do something a bit different. And I applaud you for considering using a Buick 350. Everyone and their cousin has a Chebby 350. (Unfortuanely, that also makes Chevy builds cheaper, and the aftermarket has a greater availablity of go-fast goodines). But for YOU, a Buick V8 is going to be the easiest swap.

The 74 350 that I used was pulled out of a 70 Skylark....I got it that way. I had a 69 Buick 350 that I wanted to drop back into that Skylark. As for the 81 Regal with the 74 motor, I ended up building it to 11:1 compression, Isky racing cam and a Poston intake, along with some head porting. I planted an HEI distributor in her and I was good to go. Car was fun, and a challenge to keep straight on the road. Don't be afraid to do something a bit different. And I applaud you for considering using a Buick 350. Everyone and their cousin has a Chebby 350. (Unfortuanely, that also makes Chevy builds cheaper, and the aftermarket has a greater availablity of go-fast goodines). But for YOU, a Buick V8 is going to be the easiest swap.

yup and i figure i can still say i have a 350 if i can get one. i'm really hoping i can get one of the 350's, if not i'm rebuilding a 3.8 or a 4.1 if i get lucky and find one.

i also figure i can get a buick 350 pretty cheap since nobody really likes them except for oddballs like me and die hard buick fans.

i remember car craft did an article on the "other 350's" made by GM and had at one least combo for each engine to really bring out the power. fortunately i have a library of car craft and i know i have that issue. i knew i might need that one day!

You really need to go and visit BuickV8.com. One of the members did a 350 and got 1K HP out of his. The 350 Buick is under developed to say the least. It's a fantastic design and it will produce more power than most believe. It's a great choice for a street car.

i have checked out buickV8.com before but i never joined. i'm also not so sure i want/need 1K HP alhough that would scare the ricers away for sure along with almost anything else probably. but if possible maybe i'd go for as much power as a streetable engine will allow. i do need vacuum for the brakes so cam choices are somewhat limited. maybe 500 HP. sounds like a good round number.

he also gave me the info for the two versions of a n/a V6. they're actually reasonable and not out of the range of my budget. but a 350 is more fun i admit. but just in case i'll go with a n/a V6 if need be. one guy i emailed about one of the 73's wants 400 for the whole car, the roof is TRASHED so the interior is ruined and the only good thing about the car is the engine and i'm trying to get him to just give up the engine which has no carb so it may have no air cleaner either (i like a stock look). but if that's the only thing missing then i'm good, i can always get another carb.

You really need to go and visit BuickV8.com. One of the members did a 350 and got 1K HP out of his. The 350 Buick is under developed to say the least. It's a fantastic design and it will produce more power than most believe. It's a great choice for a street car.

Yeah, but it only lasted for a couple of dyno runs.

And I would get one of the later model 350. Like one of the 73's. They had much better oiling than the earlier motors. And they have an extra coolant passage in the head/block. Eliminated problems with cracking the heads from overheating.

True Tyler, but a normal Cheby can't do it without some serious work. The Buick 350 will do much more than most expect and if put together right it will make lots more power and still do better at the gas pump.

Yeah, but it only lasted for a couple of dyno runs.

And I would get one of the later model 350. Like one of the 73's. They had much better oiling than the earlier motors. And they have an extra coolant passage in the head/block. Eliminated problems with cracking the heads from overheating.

nice to know! ty

True Tyler, but a normal Cheby can't do it without some serious work. The Buick 350 will do much more than most expect and if put together right it will make lots more power and still do better at the gas pump.

Absolutely. I love the Buick 350's I have one in my GSX now with plans for a turbocharger, or some kind of power adder. Just wanted to mention that building a 1000hp SBB is not an easy task, and it didn't/won't last long.

Back