Direct Clutch Life?

Kansas T

GOT BOOST?
After about 100 passes in the 11 to 12 second range (one in the 10's) my direct clutches and steels are severly burnt. All the other clutch packs look good. How may passes are others getting on the direct clutches. I believe I had Raybestos Blue clutches in there, is there anything better? What steels are recommended?

you should be dual feeding the direct clutch and using 6 alto red frictions with kolene steels imo.also modifying the third clutch accumulator circuit is also very important in removing the restrictions placed by the factory in the 2/3 accumulator circuit.the check ball actually closes off the passage in the case reducing oil flow and causing clutch pack to apply slower .

Thanks for the info Chris. My tranny parts supplier also recommended the Kolene steels, so I guess I'll see how they hold up. Bruce built this tranny the first time around, so I need to talk with him and see what changes he made to the accumulator circuit.

Originally posted by Kansas T
After about 100 passes in the 11 to 12 second range (one in the 10's) my direct clutches and steels are severly burnt. All the other clutch packs look good. How may passes are others getting on the direct clutches. I believe I had Raybestos Blue clutches in there, is there anything better? What steels are recommended?

100 passes at that power level and you feel it did not hold up?
What more do you want?
I would think that was not too bad.
Not to mention the street use.
Are the clutches burnt or are they resin coated. Sometimes it is hard to tell unless the steels are toast.
The Blue Plate clutch has a black resin that will appear
Call Raybestos direct and ask them to explain to you how and why they do what they do.
They will be able to simplify it better for you.

Bruce
WE4

I was hoping to get some more input from people who are keeping track of how long their clutches last. I was wondering if that seems good or bad. There's nobody else local who races their car (with a 200 4r) as much as I do so the internet is my only reference. There are less than 4000 street miles. The clutches are black and the wear is uneven, and the steels are covered with blue hotspots.