Do I have to bleed a mech oil pressure gauge?

HighMileage

Albany,NY
Just installed an Autometer oil press gauge. Got 70psi at a 70'F idle,which I believe is acceptable.

It was lower then 70psi as the oil travelled to the gauge. When I shut the engine off,the oil travelled back down the tube.

Is there a check valve in these gauges that lets air in/out and not oil?

I have no leaks anywhere,and used teflon paste. This isn't my first oil press gauge install,but just wondering...

Should I bleed this? Oil does go all the way up,but then returns when off.

1gauge.jpg

You can bleed it if you'd like, the guage will respond quicker since the oil doesnt have to compress the air in the line.

You can bleed it if you'd like, the guage will respond quicker since the oil doesnt have to compress the air in the line.

Well,I did. I cracked it open where the pipe thread end of that compression fitting meets the gauges threaded shaft. Now it won't stop leaking. It makes about 1 drop every few minutes. Ugh!

What's stupid here on these Autometer gauges is,when you tighten that fitting into the threaded shaft,that nut on the back of the gauge loosens! There used to be a flat spot on that threaded shaft,as I remember from long ago.

If I keep cranking on that fitting,I'm gonna turn the guts in the gauge. So,I put a 9/16 on the nut,but it loosens when I turn the fitting. (1/2 in wrench)

So,I got it where it barely leaks. Held it upside down when bleeding,etc.

....shut the car off...oil goes back down the tube rapidly.

It figures!

There... Now I have H20 temp and oil press.

The worse part was installing the oil press fitting AND the factory switch off of the factory tee!!
Rube Goldburg.

The rest is neat. Took 7hrs or so for both. Yeah,I know. I'm slow. But it's right. I even replaced the bulb in the console.

Good. The two lower gauges... Done!
image.jpg