You can type here any text you want

Donor cars for hydroboost?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
I didn't see a list of cars to get a good hydroboost from for an 86-87 Regal.

I know 84-85 had them, would they work on an 86-87 car?

I also heard some of the diesel GM cars of the 80's had them...would they work?

Thanks!

84-85.5 had them. Halfway through the 85 model year they switched to the powerdisaster system. These did not have the little accumulator looking thing like the ones in the kits do. I believe the diesel units will work but I never got around to trying it. The kits that are offered look just like some of the semi-recent diesel units.

I was actually wondering if I could pull a hydroboost off of an 84-85 model and it be a direct plug n play for my 87 model....or if there's some mods to be made....? Do the hydroboost and powermaster Buicks have the same brake pedal with the hole for the rod in the same spot?

I was actually wondering if I could pull a hydroboost off of an 84-85 model and it be a direct plug n play for my 87 model....or if there's some mods to be made....? Do the hydroboost and powermaster Buicks have the same brake pedal with the hole for the rod in the same spot?

Brake pedals are different.

one 87 turbo t with hydroboost.it was done when i got it but it looks easy to do. if you save this pic to your computer you can zoom in and see the master cylinder pretty good hope this helps

Attachments

• buick motor 4.jpg
    buick motor 4.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 529
Brake pedals are different.

Hydraboost and Powermaster use the same pedals. Those of course are different than the vacuum booster pedals.

Any HB from a G-Body will work. Turbo or Diesel.The 83 carb-turbo was also HB. I guess you could say plug and play assuming you have the PS and HB hoses figured out.

I didn't see a list of cars to get a good hydroboost from for an 86-87 Regal.

I know 84-85 had them, would they work on an 86-87 car?

I also heard some of the diesel GM cars of the 80's had them...would they work?

Thanks!

I used to get them off of the 80's Oldsmobile Cutlass diesel cars. I put one in a 65' Olds 442 and it was almost a bolt in. :)

and if anybody neds a new master cylinder gat one from the 80's olds diesel as they have the cast iron master cylinders.

the aluminum/plastic sits too high and will hit the hood.

Another thing I've been curious about....is if the hydroboosted models used the same master cylinder as a vacuum car? Or were the master cylinders themselves actually different?

this post:
and if anybody neds a new master cylinder gat one from the 80's olds diesel as they have the cast iron master cylinders.

the aluminum/plastic sits too high and will hit the hood.

pretty much answers this question which was posted right after it:

Another thing I've been curious about....is if the hydroboosted models used the same master cylinder as a vacuum car? Or were the master cylinders themselves actually different?

up until i got my 84 T Type- which has the cast iron master cylinder- every 78-88 G body i'd ever looked at had the aluminum master cylinder with the plastic reservoir- but i'd never seen under the hood of a diesel powered G body before, and had never even heard of a non intercooled turbo Regal until i found my future car wasting away on a used car lot in St Cloud, MN with a blown head gasket.

If anyone is looking for a hydroboost setup, send them my way. I have the old setup out of my 84 stored away.

Ooops. Sorry. I checked with my son and it turns out he sold the setup awhile ago. Sorry.

I have a commercial account with NAPA, I just looked and I can get a reman hydroboost with a lifetime warranty for 160.22 my cost, core is only 22 bucks, Its complete, mount and rod, minus master, thats 14.77 my cost with a 8 dollar core.....Just have to figure out the hoses!

You might try checking this site out of you haven't already...FYI good luck.

www.powerbrakesservices.com

I've been looking at POWERBOB's HB system. $1000 plus/minus a few bucks for everything is alot of bucks right now!!! I was thinking just getting his stainless steel lines... then somehow, retrofit an Astrovan HB system or find someone selling a 84/85 TR HB system.

dave

I have a commercial account with NAPA, I just looked and I can get a reman hydroboost with a lifetime warranty for 160.22 my cost, core is only 22 bucks, Its complete, mount and rod, minus master, thats 14.77 my cost with a 8 dollar core.....Just have to figure out the hoses!
last time i checked- last fall, i think- NAPA only sent in the one you had to be rebuilt and it cost as much as that reman they have listed now. i think there was a severe shortage of cores or something.
i wonder where all the cores came from?
and i'm still looking for someone to just sell me the damn seals to make the one on my car stop leaking without spending $200 for a part that might just go bad in a couple of years anyways.

last time i checked- last fall, i think- NAPA only sent in the one you had to be rebuilt and it cost as much as that reman they have listed now. i think there was a severe shortage of cores or something.
i wonder where all the cores came from?
and i'm still looking for someone to just sell me the damn seals to make the one on my car stop leaking without spending $200 for a part that might just go bad in a couple of years anyways.

Im going to get availabailty on these tuesday, I may buy what they have or can get and assemble some kits to do the coversion!

Im going to get availabailty on these tuesday, I may buy what they have or can get and assemble some kits to do the coversion!

I have been looking at doing the same thing. The line layout is easy, Id like to know how you make out, b/c I am going to do the same thing!! :biggrin:

Back