Don't Buy the Rockauto.com ACDelco ICM

I have the BWD from oreilly's on my TR, works pretty good and seemed to be pretty close to the factory stock ICM. No issues out of it and haven't seen any codes. The wires are striped on those btw. Granted it probably isnt the same as the tr6, but it does work and they do last a good bit.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I wonder what is so complex and in 1980 s ignition module that can't be improved upon in 2014!?!

it was pointed out earlier that the parts that were used to make the originals in the 80's are no longer available.
the GN/TR market isn't very big. the big companies aren't going to invest the money and time to develop something that they will sell maybe a few hundred of every year.

how does upgrading to the later setup with 3 separate coils compare to the stock stuff? they used the same modules and coils for what seems like an eternity, and parts are available at every parts store and under the hood of every fwd GM car with a V6 that has been built since the late 80's. MSD even sells hotter coils that aren't too much more expensive than good stock replacements..

it was pointed out earlier that the parts that were used to make the originals in the 80's are no longer available.
the GN/TR market isn't very big. the big companies aren't going to invest the money and time to develop something that they will sell maybe a few hundred of every year.

how does upgrading to the later setup with 3 separate coils compare to the stock stuff? they used the same modules and coils for what seems like an eternity, and parts are available at every parts store and under the hood of every fwd GM car with a V6 that has been built since the late 80's. MSD even sells hotter coils that aren't too much more expensive than good stock replacements..
I just got done test some of the type 2 coils out there and they are mostly garbage, the MSD is at least as good as the origianls, I have 3 more modules coming to try, the good news is that the one that looks best is around $50 more testing is needed
Mike

I have the BWD from oreilly's on my TR, works pretty good and seemed to be pretty close to the factory stock ICM. No issues out of it and haven't seen any codes. The wires are striped on those btw. Granted it probably isnt the same as the tr6, but it does work and they do last a good bit.

Just tested 3 and 2 sent code 41 the other misfired

You saying you bought 3 bwd ignition control modules from oreilly's and had 2 throw a 41 code & and had a misfire with the other? What coil pack are you running on top of it? I have the bwd coil pack mated upto it and havent had that happen. The current ones i have on the car have been on there more than 6 months without any problems. I've never had a bad one out of the box, maybe i just have better luck with the BWD coil pack and control modules than some do.

Last edited:
I have read on here about people having problems with the Autozone DR143 ignition module and not being able to get them to work properly. It's what i use and have never had a problem with it and i'm talking about years not months. I also use the BWD coil pack and they work great together.

Both have a lifetime warranty so if one ever fails i will replace both as a set. I also have a spare module and coil pack set for backup if for some reason it fails,the warranty is good but i would still have to get to the store for them to honor it and i would rather drive there than be towed or hauled.

I wish i had as good luck at the lottery as i do keeping this turbo regal running.lol

Last edited:
I think all that anyone is saying is the aftermarket modules are hit or miss. I hear lots of issues with aftermarket stock MAFs too but I have one that has been fine for about 10 years. Knock on wood for us!

I wish i had as good luck at the lottery as i do keeping this turbo regal running.lol[/QUOTE]

I hear that, i'd won a couple let me tell you, lol

Our cars can be hit or miss too. Sometimes you get lucky buying one that was rebuilt properly by one of the previous owners and sometimes you don't luck out so much. I never said bwd didnt have bad modules, only was saying i never had bad luck using them out of the box.

Last edited:
You saying you bought 3 bwd ignition control modules from oreilly's and had 2 throw a 41 code & and had a misfire with the other? What coil pack are you running on top of it? I have the bwd coil pack mated upto it and havent had that happen. The current ones i have on the car have been on there more than 6 months without any problems. I've never had a bad one out of the box, maybe i just have better luck with the BWD coil pack and control modules than some do.

Yes that is exactly what I am saying, I was using a BWD coil and the same coil runs great on the Magnavox module.
Mike

Then that particular store you got them from got a bad batch in.

As much as you dont want to believe this it happened, they had one in stock and had to get the other 2 in after the fact, I also tested a wells module, garbage, the only thing that worked was the TR^ and the Magnavox. I am sure some of them work but as times goes by this is going to get worse.

I arent doubting that it happened, all i said was they had got some bad ones in. I personally havent had that issue at the oreilly's i go to was all i was saying.
Like i said earlier, my TR is still running both the oreilly's bwd icm and coil pack that i bought and put on myself december of 2013 in their parking lot. Sorry you had bad luck out of the box with the icm's you got from there.

I see that Glen at Highway Stars sells AC delco and the standard brand. Hes pretty particular and don't think he would sell a bad part. Mike by chance have you tried the standard brand ICM?

Part # LX338 It aint cheap tho

They have the T series part# LX338T which is like 75

I wonder what is so complex in a 1980's ignition module that can't be improved upon in 2014!?!

Good point and i agree.
As stated by the experts, OE parts are no longer available, but the TR6 is proof that there can be/is a solution.

Years ago, I was one of those who complained about cost, and some of my buddys still do. I just laugh now, because i was just like that.

I have accepted the fact that a small market will demand higher price because of increased cost. In the end, its part of the cost of ownership, which is cheap for us compared to other cars.

...I have accepted the fact that a small market will demand higher price because of increased cost. In the end, its part of the cost of ownership, which is cheap for us compared to other cars.

Bingo! This may be the most expensive Gbody to own but nothing compared to throwing bolt ons at a GTR or even a 'Vette let alone the cost to simply acquire a cool car! I think these cars are still a bargain. I haven't seen too many 11sec cars that are cheaper. Even 10sec TR's are reasonable in my book compared to other 10sec street whips.

I wonder what is so complex in a 1980's ignition module that can't be improved upon in 2014!?!................

Actually the point here is that 1980's module HAS been improved upon with the introduction of the TR6! :LOL:

I would guess that only a few companies actually manufactures a new module even though there are many different retail brands, especially since most of the unit are marginal at best, and some do not function at all.

The original module was OK when new, but even then the higher HP race cars needed and used other types of ignition for their higher performance and reliability.

So pretty much if you're gonna be pushing near 500 or more horsepower with our TR's, the ICM needs to be upgraded to something beefier than anything we can get from a parts store.

So what exact hp number range is where someone needs to start looking to upgrade the ICM?

As much as you dont want to believe this it happened, they had one in stock and had to get the other 2 in after the fact, I also tested a wells module, garbage, the only thing that worked was the TR^ and the Magnavox. I am sure some of them work but as times goes by this is going to get worse.
Many years ago my GN quit and I rolled into a gas station lot. Got a ride to AutoZone and bought a module which turned out to be a Wells brand. The car started but seemed like it was running on three cylinders. Went back, exchanged it and got the same result. Tried a third and got pissed. Got a refund and went to NAPA and wound up with an Echlin brand module. Worked like a champ for years until the car got swiped.

I just looked it up on napaonline.com. Part number TP400; reg. $219, on sale for $197.10. :greedy:

Last edited: