Dropped Grommet In PCV Opening, opinions?

I was trying to replace the PCV grommet and it crumbled and about 1/2 fell into the hole. Looking at the intake it appears as if this would be the valley pan area underneath and no where in the actual intake tract. Can i leave this be and put back together?

Thanks,
Kaine

When I did the engine on my 86 there were 2 of them floating around on top of the valley pan gasket. I don't think it can go anywhere. Grab it on the next rebuild :)

Whew, thank you! I did not want to remove the intake. Looking at the gasket i realized that this was below the intake where the valley pan is.

There have been many many documented instances where they just lay there for years and years (myself included)...

....I don't recall of one ever causing any kind of problem.

Bump. Did the same tonight. About half the grommet fell in. My main issue is fitting the new grommet into the intake (while installed on engine). New grommet seems imposssibly too large, and is larger than the existing one.Any tricks or tips ?:confused

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Brian at Gbodyparts actually helped me with this one after destroying the first 2. What a horrible pain this was. With a new grommet you have 2 issues.

(1) Getting the grommet in : Place one side of the grommet against the hole holding it with a large screwdriver. Take a second large screwdriver and put a little tape on the end so it doesn't damage the rubber piece. Push the center of the doughnut in on itself hard and down. So basically making a pacman out of a circle. Its going to slip out 600 times but you will get and edge started and you will work around in a circle to seat it. Once it is seated enough that you think it wont pop out, use that large screwdriver to push the inside out against the hole you are attempting to install the grommet in.

(2) The hardest part. You will never is 1000 years get the oil drain tube in it when it is already connected to the turbo. Take a 1/2 ratchet (wide handle) and keep sticking the handle in the grommet and work it around to open it up. Very quickly attempt to put the drain tube in it by pushing and spinning. Use some wd40 or similar on the grommet. It will go but its a terrible job.

Lastly once you have all of that done. Pull the drain tube up about half way out of the grommet. Place the turbo not mounted but such as you can put the bolts and gasket on. Then lastly put the turbo on its mounts and push the drain tube all of the way back in.

There's a guy I know that goes by George in real life. He not only dropped 1 PCV Grommet in the hole, but half of another one!
What a clumsy guy that George! He must be storing them for later use. :)
I had nothing to do with it! I SWEAR!!!! :) :)

No ill effects on his car as it should just sit on top of the valley pan gasket.

Mine was there for a year or so, blown head gasket aided in its recovery.

:mad: Alrighty then. Have mustered the hottest possible water to no avail. I did get the grommet in, but was impossibly crushed and could barely get needle nose pliers through the opening ,no chance of a pcv. The opening is just under an inch in diameter, whereas the grommet is 1.2" in the slot. Do I drill at this point ????:( Huge difference between old and new Gbodyparts.com piece

Attachments

• 1385648261800.jpg
    1385648261800.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 158
:mad: Alrighty then. Have mustered the hottest possible water to no avail. I did get the grommet in, but was impossibly crushed and could barely get needle nose pliers through the opening ,no chance of a pcv. The opening is just under an inch in diameter, whereas the grommet is 1.2" in the slot. Do I drill at this point ????:( Huge difference between old and new Gbodyparts.com piece

I'm betting you got the wrong piece. You probably have the valve cover grommet.

When removing mine, I used a vacumm cleaner and pry the groommet.

When installing, pass a small thread thru the middle to prevent it from falling.

Actually the valve cover grommet is much larger.Removed fuel rail, and this is as close as it gets. Folded over and not sealing.

Attachments

• 1385652659581.jpg
    1385652659581.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 125
Pulled the grommet from pcv hole. Split due to fold and pressure applied. (Does not fit any better than the autozone special I intitually tried).I Will try Mr. Kirbans grommet next. I was under the impression that our board vendors would "know" that their piece would fit before marketing them to unsuspecting customers.Dissatisfied for sure :rolleyes:

Looks like you have 1 for the passenger side valve cover, and one for the intake (PCV) That big 'ol grommet ain't goin in that PCV Hole! Not even with AstroGlide!

Oddly enough, the photo of the grommet on the Gbody website is the same exact photo on Kirbans website...Go figure.

jopaustu, I think I have a new grommet from Kirbans laying around somewhere. If you want it its yours.