Dutt Intercooler Install

Ken Adams

Have a stock intercooler with a Dutt neck added. Will this be a direct bolt-in installation? Any changes or adjustments necessary when installing dutt modified ic? Thanks for all input

none other than new step down hose.......assuming it was installed properly.....get ready for 1-2 lbs more boost.....

The dutweiller neck is a direct replacement. The intercooler will mount exactly as the stock piece using the factory brackets. Try to make sure that the neck is mounted as straight as possible with the turbo.

Hey Ken, are you having someone local do your Dutt neck mod? Please let me know and how well it turns out. Am considering the same thing until I can get rich enough for an aftermarket IC.

I have one thats already done that I'll sell you, then you can keep your stock one. I already sold my car so I don't need it anymore.

Thanks for all your replys. I have the step down hose. Should be go to go then. David, a local guy did the conversion. Will let you know how things work out with the install. May be a bit down the road thou, need to recop from surgery first.

Original install of the Dutt Neck on stock IC is more precise than many assume. I purchased one with the Neck install already complete, and it was off by about 1/2 " in both N-S & E-W directions. Had to cut it off & have it rewelded to fit w/ stock IC brackets/position...Good luck w/ yours...

i just did my Dutt IC, i was charged $40 for the welding, but did a great job. im still waiting for my motor to get done, should have it by next week...

In many cases to get a proper alignment, you will need to loosen the compressor housing bolts (13mm) and re-clock the compressor outlet to match. This in turn is where the 1-2 psi of boost comes from, not the actual increse in cross sectional area. It puts additional load on the wastegate spring. (this was verified by Kenny D. himself) I have welded many of them on, and as stated earlier. it is NOT a simple cut and weld deal. I build a jig to properly postion the new inlet. If it is off just a few degrees, you will have a bear of a time getting it to line-up. Not rocket science, but it takes a fair amount of forethought to get the old inlet cut off in the right spot.

In many cases to get a proper alignment, you will need to loosen the compressor housing bolts (13mm) and re-clock the compressor outlet to match. This in turn is where the 1-2 psi of boost comes from, not the actual increse in cross sectional area. It puts additional load on the wastegate spring. (this was verified by Kenny D. himself) I have welded many of them on, and as stated earlier. it is NOT a simple cut and weld deal. I build a jig to properly postion the new inlet. If it is off just a few degrees, you will have a bear of a time getting it to line-up. Not rocket science, but it takes a fair amount of forethought to get the old inlet cut off in the right spot.

Does this method work if the neck is 1/2 to the passenger side of the turbo?

Not hardly--you're in an altogether different plane there. I cut/ sliced/ rewelded mine to get that problem corrected on one I purchased (was already made-up incorrectly)...

[I guess I'm repeating myself now...]