You can type here any text you want

Dyno results...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

REDRAGN

So I took my new to me 87 GN to the dyno again this morning. Much better results than may last trip; fuel pump died in the parking lot!

Specs:
Stock block, heads and turbo
Hotwired 255 lph fuel pump
36lb Injectors
TT 5.6 Chip
Pypes dual race exhaust
9" K&N cone filter
Scanmaster

Dyno Lab Inc in Marietta, GA on a dynojet at 50 degrees ambient air temp with the car making 17 psi 3rd gear pull...

266 HP @ 4500 RPM and 396 TQ @ 2900 RPM at the wheels. Needless to say I am happy with the results.

How do these numbers stack up? Typical 1/4 mile times on street tires (245 50 16) with posi?

Looks like respectable numbers for only 17psi. I'd say roughly mid 13's depending on traction. Get some alky & crank that stock turbo to 23psi:cool:

So I took my new to me 87 GN to the dyno again this morning. Much better results than may last trip; fuel pump died in the parking lot!

Specs:
Stock block, heads and turbo
Hotwired 255 lph fuel pump
36lb Injectors
TT 5.6 Chip
Pypes dual race exhaust
9" K&N cone filter
Scanmaster

Dyno Lab Inc in Marietta, GA on a dynojet at 50 degrees ambient air temp with the car making 17 psi 3rd gear pull...

266 HP @ 4500 RPM and 396 TQ @ 2900 RPM at the wheels. Needless to say I am happy with the results.

How do these numbers stack up? Typical 1/4 mile times on street tires (245 50 16) with posi?

how was the tune ?
266hp will put you at about 14.00 /98mph in the 1/4 if you dont spin the tires leaving

not sure how it compares but
with a stock motor stock turbo and a dutnneck stock ic , down pipe through hooker muffs with a cat converter
18psi with 93 and alky 20 deg timing 10.8 AF once in boost and a good 1.60 launch i was able to do 12.50s at 106 thats roughly 350hp ...the tune has a great effect on the numbers

hello people; Anyone know what HP numbers and 1/4 mile times for a stock TB when they where new?
I think the numbers s/b better. Tell me did your dyno guy give you any advise or did he just pull and give you the numbers.
IBBY

Those numbers look safe. Certainly not running the ragged edge. gut the cat if you haven't don't so and get a couple more HP for free. heed these words: more horsepower more problems.

stock was rated 245hp and back then ran 14.3 @95 stock off the showroom floor

the factory rated 245 when punched into most online calcs confirms the hp for the et numbers it ran to be right inline

Its a driver now...it runs and drives really well so far!

hello people; Just curious, how many miles on the engine. Sounds like from stated earlier 266 HP is good number.
What's your next move?
IBBY

12.9-13.0 with traction. About 40whp more than a stock one makes.

82xxx miles on the engine.

What is a good next step for more power while peeping the car streetable...alky was mentioned earlier.

Thanks for the responses guys.

What is a good next step for more power while peeping the car streetable...alky was mentioned earlier.

NEW VALVE SPRINGS AND A NICE LITTLE CAM ,SOME 60LBS INJ. DUTT NECK ON THE IC. 3IN SSDP. TA49 TURBO AND DRIVE IT . LATER ON IF YOU WANT TO REALLY GET SOME BIG HP #s CALL RAZOR FOR A ALKY KIT AND TURN UP THE WICK.

This kind of depends. How much you wanna spend? Do you want to keep it stock appearing?

If you aren't going to crank the boost up and just drive it, I would leave it alone and gut the cat if you haven't. If you want to keep costs low but still have fun, I would get alky next, duttneck IC, port the stock elbow (believe me there IS a difference) a set of good wires, and a maf pipe and filter.

Do you have a 237 regulator or an adjustable fuel pressure regulator?

Previous owner chimes in

There is no CC on the car. Personally, I would start with changing the air cleaner. I know it has to be dirty by now. Yes, seriously. You should also get new air breathers for the valve covers or at least clean them well. Small things, I know, but really, that motor runs so good right now in mostly stock form. It's hard to say to change anything, but I would also say that you might want to switch back to the original ignition controller and coil pack which you should have recieved with the car when you bought it. I've just heard that they were better and even though your engine is running great, it's nice to see those stock (from the actual factory) components installed. My .02 cents.

The motor is certainly in mostly stock form, except for the basic changes already noted, including the adjustable FP regulator with pressure gauge attached to the fuel rail. I was very happy to see those Dyno numbers. It is a great running engine - purrs like it would from the factory and hauls like crazy for what it is. This is really a cool car. So many options, such a great running engine, digital dash, T-tops, perfect interior even when I got it, etc.

You should also have the original injectors too. The stock chip was AWOL when I got the car, but there was a pitbull chip in it, circa 1990 which is to be used only with the original injectors. Honestly, the engine runs much better with the TT chip and 36 Lb injectors and the FP at about 42 PSI, I think (the way it probably sits right this very second).

It's just hard to find these cars in the condition that yours is in these days. It's your car and you should do what you want with it, but I have all of my pictures of what it was and what I was trying to bring it back to and keep it as. Stock looking, but with somewhat better performance. My next door neighbor has an 87 GN with meth injection and big-ass downpipe and big turbo, etc. It hauls ass like crazy - I saw the Dyno sheet, but at what expense? They are known for being FAST cars in stock-ish form and why change it? I just hate when GN owners open their hoods and I see all sorts of funky stuff going on under the hood. It's just not how these cars which are in such nice stock-like condition are meant to be treated. Sorry, I'm a purist to a degree.

Best,

Eric McCann

Back