Dyno Run

Tony Shoaff

I took my 86 GN to Chicago to run on a dyno. The car had 487.9 rear wheel HP at 472.2 ft lbs of torque. 650hp overall. Thanks to Full Throttle, Cottons,
Precision Turbo, DLS Engine Development and Rick 87Gn who helped me on the translator pro set-up. He knows his stuff on the computer:cool: Fred your downpipe fit like a glove also Thanks to everyone for the help. Maybe nex't year I can go stage 2. The Atomic GN will be at the track tomorrow. I will keep everyone posted how it does.

30over 3.8 stock block and heads. PT70 with PT FMIC. Ported stock intake with PT Plenum. 83lb injectors. Translator pro with extender chip and Innovative LC-1 wideband. Tin Man cold air system.350 turbo with transbrake.
Coan 3500 stall. Ford nine inch with 390 gear. TA headers. Terry Houston 3.5 downpipe. T&d rockers. DLs crank with billet main caps. Red Armstrong dual in tank pump.

25psi is a good amount if you have a decent set of heads on it. but you can run another 4-5* of timing and be safe.

I think you've got a lot more in that machine.... Sounds like a real strong pull for that timing and boost... I say you've got another 100 - 150 hp in it!
:biggrin:

I bumped the timing up to 21 deg. and 11.4 AFR with no detonation Sat at the track but I could not get my laptop to record so I stopped there. 6.61@103.4 all day 7 runs. I have stock heads barley ported. I want new heads this winter.

well, if your heads are BARLEY ported, then i wouldn't be scared to run 30psi and 23-24* of timing. what you lack in head flow you can make up with boost, but it's harder to make power with boost vs engine efficiency! just turn the wick up till you get a decent set of heads, then throw the heads on and it will make some power

just saw you also have a ford 9" and 3.90 gears, get those out and put some 3.55's in there. your hurting your top end with the gears. but it will mostly effect the 1/4 mile, not 1/8th mile. what cam is in it?

well, making more power on any engine is harder on it. but, what i was referring to is when you can make power with flow+boost is better than no flow+boost. heads are everything, and if they don't flow....it's more difficult to make power. but you can still make good power by just upping the boost a little more till you get some heads on it. then when you get the heads on you will not have to run as much boost and your hp curve will be flater across the board instead of a peak.

yes, 1 turn=1lb boost....remember, be carefull....with that much boost and timing the tune needs to be good, or you will be having headgasket issues or picking up broken parts!

The motor man in Chicago told me you take the HP at the wheels and divide it by 75?

I think you are supossed to assume a 18-22% approx drivetrain loss for an automatic tranny.

Based on that you would have:

487.9 RWHP x .20= 97.58HP drivetrain loss(maybe more w/ a 9")

487.9 + 97.58= 585.48 HP

The loss precent is a general number and not 100% accurate.