You can type here any text you want

E-85 Checklist

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

black owned

black pride
whats needed to convert to e-85?im sure its been said....im thinking of doing a 4.1 production block motor(stroker)...maybe..just looking for all of the must haves...thanks...

120/160 lb injectors
-8 feed stock feed as the return
100 micron stainless filter for fuel feed
Double pumper twin walbro 255 lph pumps
E85 chip/tune
modded ECM drivers
90*-6 fitting for the regulator return
-8 fitting to fit the feed on the stock rail
A Scanmaster or wideband
Colder plugs
The balls to crank the boost up
The understanding that WOT burns fuel faster
"Sense" some call it "common sense" but it isn't "common" nowadays.
HTH

i run 30 psi bone stock motor and stock lines with stock fuel filter. Got red's double pumps and nothing more than 120's mod ecm chip/ plogger w/band and scanmaster. I run the same plugs as before too.. r42's gapped @ 30 no issues. Im just putting my intake back on this weekend and i just sold my intercooler so no intercooler after this weekend. Lets see what happens :eek:

Dont need much but the good stuff is always prefer'd. I have fuel lines fittings sitting on the shelf, but so far haven't needed to swap over alot of stuff that most guys on here post. I would agree with most of what Jas wrote though cant go wrong with that. But i have been running e85 with almost nothing more than electronics to monitor and pumps to feed.. And i honestly think i could have done it with one single intank pump. Really depends on how high your turning the motor when it comes down to fuel delivery. I dont turn the motor much pass 5200 so im ok with my stock stuff.

chriss, put the coldest plugs u can in that motor trust me. especially if the intercooler comes off

Since you are building a 4.1 stroker motor, I would assume you plan to run BIG boost. I would also assume you will have major $'s invested in the 4.1 so you would not want to take any unwise risks with running out of fuel. Accordingly, I would suggest a more robust fuel system. 120/160 injectors, FAST XFI, External fuel pump (Aeromotive Eliminator or ??), electronic pump controller, SS pre & post filters, sumped tank w/-10 feed and -8 return.
Conrad

Since you are building a 4.1 stroker motor, I would assume you plan to run BIG boost. I would also assume you will have major $'s invested in the 4.1 so you would not want to take any unwise risks with running out of fuel. Accordingly, I would suggest a more robust fuel system. 120/160 injectors, FAST XFI, External fuel pump (Aeromotive Eliminator or ??), electronic pump controller, SS pre & post filters, sumped tank w/-10 feed and -8 return.
Conrad
any pics of a fuel setup?

IMG_0506.JPGFuel Sensor-3.jpg2012-12-18_15-39-33_609.jpg2012-12-18_15-38-52_437.jpg2012-12-18_15-39-22_466.jpg2012-12-18_15-39-52_413.jpg

Hey Hot Air, Do you run a voltage controller? If not, how loud is the pump and how much longevity to date? Nice setup, Scott

Scott,
I always have run an electronic fuel pump controller...Aeromotive. It really makes sense on a street-driven car with a big fuel pump. Most folks don't realize that the pump puts out way more fuel flow at idle and cruise RPM than the engine needs. The pump controller slows the pump down which adds life. How much more? I don't know but it sure has to help with wear on the motor. The other thing that I understand is CRITICAL to long electric fuel pump life is to always keep fuel in the pump. Do not run them dry, even for a fraction of a second! The pump inlet should always be below the minimum fuel elevation! That means you have to mount the pump as low as possible and run a bottom exit from the tank. Obviously, you never want to run the tank dry! Also, don't skimp on the line between the tank and the pump and run a big 100 micron pre-filter and keep it clean!

I have put several thousand miles on my external fuel pump with no problem. Just don't purchase a used pump if seller doesn't know the history of the pump.
Conrad

One other thing that I didn't answer...noise. My setup is loud enough that I can hear when the pump is running BEFORE I start the engine. After that, I don't hear the pump, radio, etc. You know why! I installed rubber isolators between the pump and the mounting plate. I think that helps a lot but keeping fuel in the pump is the best insurance you can get for quiet, reliable operation! See link below. Check out nearest Lowe's or Home Depot or AutoZone. Probably can find cheaper than Summit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-11601?seid=google&gclid=CJLt_vX3_LQCFQixnQod2SUAPg

FWIW,
I have my fuel system for sale here. I got a killer deal on a Ricks Tanks stainless steel setup for TR that a fellow owner bought and never installed. I cannot help myself...I enjoy trying new stuff. I am cursed to be a mechanical engineer.

Thanks for the detailed answer. I'm still in the planning stages right now on my E85 hybrid.

Cool. Keep us posted! Love your car!!
Conrad

Back