E85 Fuel pumps

fatride

Looking for some ideas from you guys on fuel pumps. I was looking into an Aeromotive Eliminator or the A2000 pump. What do you guys think about these pumps....

Do not know a thing about them, I going to stay with intake pumps, might have to go dbl pumper, will know more win ever my wide band gets here so I can have a baseline, right now I have Razor's kit and 42lb'ers, just bought some 83's and sent them off to Chuck Leeper to get flowed etc., Eric will be doing me a E85 chip and also one for 91 octane, I'm going to try and get away from the alky kit with the E85 only and see what happens, if need be
and I do need the extra fuel with the alky kit I will be running E100 in it instead of meth which I can get at very reasonable price, but first the baseline with the wide band and some direct scan readings and off we go.
I beleive the in tank pumps should hold up fine for E85, but that is just my 02's worth.

Ron

Be careful with Aeromotive pumps. The last time I talked to them they said that they will not guarantee there pumps if you use alcohol. Call them first before you buy it.

I have a Dbl. pumper now,If Walbro is working with there pumps now for E85 the one I have won't work very long. I don't want to take the chance with it. If I do the conversion to E85 I'm doing it the right way. I have heard good/bad things about Aeromotive, any other pumps which will work for sure.........

Can't use the A2000 on an injected car and it will literally turn off around the 15 minute mark due to HEAT!!! I was going to run this pump on my E85 69 GTO and the Aeromotive tech told me about how it's not a street car pump. :eek:

If Walbro does approve an E85 pump it will be a huge splash and a twin pump stainless hanger will be in high demand on this board. :biggrin:

I believe the Eliminator pump might take you to where you want to go, but these pumps are not known for having a long life. :frown:

Oh ya, E100 has a 113 octane rating, nice.

If Walbro does approve an E85 pump it will be a huge splash and a twin pump stainless hanger will be in high demand on this board. :biggrin:

I've been in touch with one of the Walbro engineers for a few months via another board E-85 thread. We are looking at probably last half of 2008 before Walbro gets an E-85 pump out there :frown:

In the mean time the in tank Kirban pump I have still works like a charm :biggrin:

bsd, what other board were you talking about, I would like to know who it is,
I would like a lot more input and info on pumps and E85, the more info the better, just like to do some more sifting on this fuel and pumps, the more info out their the better for our cars.

Ron

to pump that much E85/E100 will the fuel lines have to be changed to a larger diameter? or are the stock ones adequate?

Thanks for the info guys! I think I'm just going to play it safe and go with the Weldon 2015 pump.

Someone on the other board is selling a barely used Eliminator pump for $250, that's $200 off the new price. :eek:

Anybody here work at GM or Gm Dealership, why not just check out what pump they use on the flex fuel vehicles (chevy/Gmc 5.3 yukons,suburbans, tahoes, or pickups). Just use two of them and set it up like a dbl pumper. I saw one a while back it it looks just like a walbro pump. Or just go to a junk yard and find a couple wrecked 5.3 vehicles and get their pumps and set them up yourself.

Just a thought.
Chuck

Fatride, since you have the dbl pumper, I would use, I personally beleive from the research that I have done that they should last, how long is the question, 1k, 10k 50k miles or more who knows, they are a mechanical device,
I thought I had seen that there were a couple of guys running either Red's or Walbros for at least a couple of years without problems, I have Red's single
pump that has been in my car for 3 years or more running all sorts of different
fuels and she's still ticking, again for how long, that can not be answered, but in the future I will be going with the dbl pumper, I have talked to Walbro
on this question and all I get is a politician's answer, dbl talk.

Ron

Well, for my own use, I plan on adding a second Walbro.....There ought to be some cheap used ones from all the paranoia and fear out there. Now IF Walbro said there pump was ok without the qual testing and you had a fueltank fire/explosion from undetermined causes, they might be liable. So, the safe answer in the absence of empirical data is to advise against their use in E85/100. Why recommend an untested product when it's safe to advise against it?

Since the pumps are so cheap doing a dual Walbro and ditching it after say 10k miles might be an easy/cheap alternative. :confused:

I would get the tank flushed, put a petcock on it and maybe have Turbofabricator make me a Stainless Twin Hanger and let her rip. :eek:

I am such a newby I can't post the link,but here is a copy of a post from the Turbomustangs.com website. If any of you want to read the whole post go the site and click on the "Carburetor + Boost Tech Questions" area.

Brett with Aeromotive

Aeromotive Eliminator Pump and Street Usage

The Eliminator pump is fully rated for continuous duty, as is the A1000 and even the Pro-Pump. Ultimately, fuel temperature in the tank is the "smoking gun" that would point to whether a speed controller is required. In other words, as long as tank temps stay under control, the fuel stays liquid going into the pump and, thanks to the in-line design, the pump cannot overheat.

Carbureted engines, given sensible routing of fuel lines and regulator mounting relative to the exhaust system, will normally put less heat into the fuel as it's recycled. This means a speed controller is less likely to be needed. Now, there is never a downside to using a speed controller, less pump rpm equals less wear, quieter operation, cooler fuel. That said, there's nothing wrong with operating the system without one for a season in order to determine if it will be necessary, given the local climate, fuel type and operating conditions.

I know of more than a few that use the Eliminator pump on EFI applications with no speed controller, and no problems. One most recent example is of a local racer, with a late model, supercharged Cobra, that daily drives the car with the Eliminator pump, then drives it to NMRA events around the country. Most recently, on a trip to Bowling Green, he had a vapor lock issue. However, upon examination, found the outlet filter to be clogged, and once that was replaced he finished the trip out and back with no further incident.

Hope this adds some context, and makes you feel a little easier about this. Be certain to use the 12302 inlet filter and a -12 AN feed line, and consider using a fuel cell or the 18650 sump box in your stock tank, in order to ensure good pickup and flow to the pump. Let me know if there are any questions.

Brett.

It seems to me that if Ken would do this, my question is how do we wire and control the second pump, or is it possible to run twin 190 lph pumps and let them run continuesly, and can the return system handle that much output
just cruising down the road, I know we all do not need the 255lph pumps, which I beleive should be staged cause of the possible return issue if running all the time. I'm still thinking of just getting the dbl pumper form Red since
he or some one has done all the R & D on this and pay for their experience
and the cost that they incurred in making the dbl pumper work, and it being a plug and play install, again if it was easy we all would be doing it.

Ron