You can type here any text you want

EGR problem found... Boost leaking through stem!!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbo nasty

Turbo Dojo / MNTR
Testing the EGR with vac and pulling up on the diaphram and see if she stumbles or is stuck test and think you are good!!
NOT :eek:
I searched for boost leaking past the EGR found 1 maybe 2 posts, everything else was check with vac pump and pull up on diaphram.
I have been chasing little stuff for over a year now weird 02's, erratic boost, low boost (spike to 15 and fall to 12), KR, comes and goes, spitting sputtering car just not right everytime a little different, sometimes runs great sometimes not.
Some of what I have done
Old hi po Fuel pump was pulling too many amps..fried hotwire and hanger wiring..replaced.
Coil pack and MSD wires replaced...towers where corroded and wire connections where rusty.
Sprayed carb cleaner around for leaks
New 02 sensor
New plugs
New fuel filter
new check valves(all of em)
Checked the EGR with vac pump and tested fine not stuck
Bought a new high boost actuator to try and cure the low boost crap...I had shortened the low boosts rod and thought it had fatigued the spring..replaced still 12 lbs of boost. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Now for the psi test to see if the IC is leaking

Got a soup can (perfect for 2.5"), removed the top (emptied of course :D ), drilled a hole in the bottom, removed paper from outside and popped a valve stem in the hole, clamped it at the compressor inlet, pressurize w/ 25 psi shop air and WALLA.
The bottom of the Fuel PSI Reg and Map sensor line at the TB had a split (did not bog with carb cleaner with motor running) in the hoses leaking bad. Fuel Psi rising rate signal kinda important (weird thing is my psi gauge was on the money for the boost shown).
Replaced all hoses, repsi & hear air blowing out by the EGR, pop the cover off and I feel air bowing out from along the stem from the manifold side. I mean blowing...enough to make a small piece of paper flap in your fingers held by it.
About to get a new EGR valve and then realize the TT chip has the EGR disabled.
I packed the intake cavity of the EGR itself full of the high temp quick epoxy stick, made sure it was flat (filed once cured), slapped it back on the car, reset the ecm, fired it up.
Car pulls like a beast again, boost hit 18-19 psi, no KR, idles smoother, 02 recall comes back like supposed to, builds boost while power braking, more responsive, etc
No telling how many EGRs are leaking boost!!!!
Glad it is fixed...the car ran 105.9 at 13 psi 8 weeks back running like crap so lets see what she can run at 22 psi wed night in the 1/4.

WOOO HOOO glad the sucker is fixed. It has been like the plague in my head trying to get this thing right. Now I can woop up on my buds blown stang again.

Filling the EGR holes is a total waste of time and makes it hard to un-do. The gas comes up in one hole, goes through the valve and goes back down into the other hole. If you just put a block off plate on, there will be no flow going through. Thats what I did, and it cured a bunch of problems like you were having.

Back