You can type here any text you want

Eliminating in radiator trans cooler

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Opinion on running just an external trans cooler

• Ditch the radiator cooler and run just an external

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • Keep the radiator cooler

Votes: 20 48.8%

• Total voters

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
Thinking about just using a cooler with the fan attached. Right now I have things set up like this, front mount, ac condenser, external trans cooler, radiator.

Going with a nlu converter and want to get the trans cooler out of that sandwich of coolers and out on it's own, was also thinking about eliminating the in-radiator cooler to simplify plumbing. How many are running JUST an external cooler? Will definetly be going with a stacked plate design cooler to replace the GNX style one I have now.

Ditch the one in the radiator Mark. If it leaks it will contaminate the tranny and cooling system. If you're running an external it's much more effective anyway.

I eliminated the factory cooler in the radiator. It plugged and would cause me a major leak when throttle was over about 15% as cooler pressure rise would block the return side and it would back up and blow out the front seal. I mounted mine under right front corner with a fan that runs as long as the key is on. Works really well.

Attachments

• TransCooler.jpg
    TransCooler.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 652
i have the b&m hi-tek cooler mounted on the passenger side like GNeric..it has a fan and comes on automatically..i took mine completely out of the radiator..seems to work well..Bob

im running the fluid into the radiator then into and external cooler then back to the trans.

i have the b&m hi-tek cooler mounted on the passenger side like GNeric..it has a fan and comes on automatically..i took mine completely out of the radiator..seems to work well..Bob

Which part number??????

FWIW, I always run mine through the tranny then to a quality external cooler. I had a trans gauge and without it running through the radiator first, tranny temps would exceed 270 degree f, with a 3000 stall converter with lock-up. The external cooler was the B&m with the fan on it, didn't work too well with a loose converter (2004r). Tried running without it in my buddies silverado SS, 6.0, vortec blown, built up 4L65E, tranny overheated right away, put it back through the tranny, then the cooler, ran cooler than stock. 3500 stall converter, w/lock-up.

Just my experiances.

This was my experience also. Just the external and it heated up. Through the radiator cooler and then the external and it was much better than just the radiator cooler. But I did not have a fan on my external.

FWIW, I always run mine through the tranny then to a quality external cooler. I had a trans gauge and without it running through the radiator first, tranny temps would exceed 270 degree f, with a 3000 stall converter with lock-up. The external cooler was the B&m with the fan on it, didn't work too well with a loose converter (2004r). Tried running without it in my buddies silverado SS, 6.0, vortec blown, built up 4L65E, tranny overheated right away, put it back through the tranny, then the cooler, ran cooler than stock. 3500 stall converter, w/lock-up.

Just my experiances.

Think I am going to try just the external stacked plate with fan first along with a trans temp gauge and then go from there.

Funny, back in the 80's I had a short bed GMC pickup that I converted from a 3 speed standard to Turbo 350 auto and I just used a cheapy external only since the radiator didn't have a cooler. I dragged my Chevelle all across the country with that poor little truck and the trans never missed a beat! Had no idea what the temps were but it never burned the trans fluid.

Really Brian? You don't think it helps the trans to warm up? :confused:

Not a "fan";) of the factory cooler. No real reason to warm a trans up. :) Although before running a trailer car it is always a good idea to drive around the pits to get the air out of the circuits.

The rad cooler will trap debris, and ultimatly distrupt fluid flow. With higher line pressures some use, the in-rad cooler is just a plain restriction all the time.

HTH, Brian

OH yeah... Trans temp gauges are for sissies. :-)

For a driver, the internal/radiator cooler is OK. But it is a major debris catcher if a converter goes south.......been there.

I'm running a stacked plate external cooler with a Spal fan. I mounted mine laid flat on a fabricated aluminum pan located between the front bumper and the core support.

Consider your safety when choosing a mounting location: In front of the tire may present a problem if you blew a line (or the cooler) while making a pass. You may put the oil directly under your tires. We all know what happens when you oil the tires. :eek:

For a driver, the internal/radiator cooler is OK. But it is a major debris catcher if a converter goes south.......been there.

I'm running a stacked plate external cooler with a Spal fan. I mounted mine laid flat on a fabricated aluminum pan located between the front bumper and the core support.

Consider your safety when choosing a mounting location: In front of the tire may present a problem if you blew a line (or the cooler) while making a pass. You may put the oil directly under your tires. We all know what happens when you oil the tires. :eek:

Got pics? So you have it in the middle of the car then???

Sorry to bring this back up.

If you have a front mount IC why not put the stock intercooler fan back on and mount the trans cooler where the stock intercooler once was? That's what I've done. I've still got to make a shroud for mine but it's been working without one for well over 3 years.

april-27-2008%20(74).JPG

Back