You can type here any text you want

Engine Bling

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbodave231

A manifold to compliment the new turbo, intercooler ....

Kinda looks like the Starship Enterprise, doesn't it?

Attachments

• S2 Intake.jpg
    S2 Intake.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 982
  • S2 Intake-2.jpg
    S2 Intake-2.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 983
  • S2 Intake-3.jpg
    S2 Intake-3.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 985
  • S2 Intake-4.jpg
    S2 Intake-4.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 978
  • S2 Intake-5.jpg
    S2 Intake-5.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 975
Thanks for sharing Dave. Do you suspect an air distribution issue with your current manifold or is the "enterprise" really for the bling? Rainy day project maybe?
It is real nice either way!
John

Current engine is an offcenter block. The new engine is an on-center version.......I needed a new manifold anyway......go big or stay home!!

Beam me up Scotty!!!!

Looks good Dave. Can't wait till you get your car back out running with the new mill.

The manifold started out life as a N/A Hogan manifold. CFE did the conversion, and added the top hat, injector bungs and rails. One of my students works at CFE and did most of the work!!

The manifold started out life as a N/A Hogan manifold. CFE did the conversion, and added the top hat, injector bungs and rails. One of my students works at CFE and did most of the work!!

Did you give him extra credit for his work??

Very nice work BTW.

Dang......wish I would have known this a couple weeks ago. I'm working on a GN conversion now that will be getting a CFE headed small block. I could have used a hook-up on the SBX heads and a sheetmetal intake.

The distribution wont be that bad it looks similar to our beck mechanical intake and works pretty good so far .

The guys at CFE do alot of sheet metal intakes for turbo engines. I figured I'd go with their recommendations for the plenum configuration.

We'll see how it works!!

Dusty, I could have hooked you up with a contact there, but doubt I could have gotten you any discounts. CFE is very cool place........but they don't give tours!! Too many secret projects laying around. In the CNC world, you can't protect your developments as intellectual property. Somebody will always grab your stuff and copy it.

The plenum config is very similar to the Honda Turbo F1 manifold of the '80s. More boxy, but the same general idea. Decreasing volume to the rear cylinders. Some secrets just resurface from time to time.

Dave, what do you teach? Some kind of metalworking, or something totally unrelated?

How thick is the flat plate you are using for a lid? The problem with a flat plate is that it flexes the most of any shape. For example, if it is a 12" x 18" rectangle with fixed edges and you run 30 psi boost, even if it is 0.25" thick the center will bulge about 0.1" under boost and the peak bending stress will be about 30-32 ksi which is about the yield strength of aluminum so it might even permanently deform. Oh, the total force at 30 psi is 6500 lbs and if the weld bead is .25" wide the stress is only 430 psi so that has a pretty good safety margin of at least 10x even with the loss in stregth from welding. You might think about adding a stiffener or two from front to back across the top, unless it is really thick. Shore looks pretty, though :-).

Good point. I had to add a piece of angle across my plenum cover due to bending from boost, and intake backfires.

The front plate where the TB mounts is .50" and the rest of the top hat is .125" thick.

Dave, what do you teach? Some kind of metalworking, or something totally unrelated?

I teach Automotive Technology at our Community College. I like to teach Basic Engine, Upper Engine Machining, Lower Engine Machining, but I teach nearly any auto class that gets thrown at me (except bodyshop......I hate dust!) I'm getting very good at running our new RMC CNC machine center!

Dave

We have a machine shop where I work and sometimes I get to go over and play on the manual lathe and mill, but I've never learned how to run the cnc stuff. Mostly I fly a desk, anyway. Sounds like your students are lucky to have someone as enthused and engaged as you!

Um, I hate to say it but .125" is way too thin for the top plate. Again assuming 12 x 18" and 30 psi boost the theoretical bending stress is over 125 ksi, about four times the yield strength of 6061. Even if holds and doesn't yield it will try to bulge up 3/4" in the middle every time the boost comes up. The triangular side pieces and other sides should be ok. Changing the flat lid to 1/2" material reduces the bulge to about 0.013" and the stress to 7.5 ksi, which is probably ok so long as you never get a backfire. I don't know what the overpressure is on a good backfire but I saw the top blown off a manifold and a fiberglass hood ripped across the turbo bulge from one at Reynolds, so it has to be respected :-). If the pressure peaks at 2-4x boost you would be right at a typical tensile strength for 6061 of mid-30 ksi so barely ok on paper and no extra safety margin at all. Even using three pieces of 1" square tubing running front to back isn't enough to stiffen your .125" lid, so going to 1/2" plate is probably the easiest but you might think about a blow-off valve of some kind. Hmm, wonder if you could bolt on flat plates across the ports, make up an adaptor flange for the front, and hydrostatically pressure test it like a gas cylinder? Then you could safely see any bulging or problems and you'd know about the limits.

Back