Engine noise....

I had a slight knocking problem like yours from around 1500 and up, then would gradually disappear....turned out to be a smoked rod bearing. I know it's a fresh motor, but change the oil and cut open the filter to see if you have any gold flakes.

But noises like that are very deceptive. I thought my noise was from the cam sensor area. The stethoscope is a good idea and could save you lots of troubleshooting time.

already changed oil cut filter open no gold,I am going to check with stethscope and see from there damn car....,

ive had roller cams before its not a ticky ticky sew machine sound.Its a definate rattle.I put scope on it is in the rear of the engine and is coming form under the intake are either cylinder 5 or 6.I can hear everything running smooth then idle it up and rattle is heard loudest in back then up front.Like right in the center..lifters or what...

I went through the same thing with my engine. Started out as a bad lifter after I pulled the intake, went even further and found the cam wiped, went even further and found spun bearings, went even further and found a bend girdle that was improperly installed, went even further and now I'm getting a new engine..........dig in and get dirty!

I have the same noise, I rebuilt the motor replaced all the bearings and checked everything, I was sure it was fixed, I still hear it. I am convinced it's my oil pump. The noise will only cause a problem when you try to sell it, the person might think the motor is shot when its 100% fine, like ours...

found the noise it is coming from oil filter area so I am asuming it is the new mellings pump,i will be pulling apart today and see what i find...

I hope it's that for your sake. To me this could be 2 possibilities.
A wiped Cam Lobe if it's a Flat Tappet or a Rod Knock.
They both appear at 1500 to 2000 RPM.

Good Luck
JB

I hope it's that for your sake. To me this could be 2 possibilities.
A wiped Cam Lobe if it's a Flat Tappet or a Rod Knock.
They both appear at 1500 to 2000 RPM.

Good Luck
JB

its a roller cam but who knows i have bad luck.I put scope right on housing and it loud as crap.

clearance ???? this is what i found today after removing

2 things I found when pulling it apart.Put motor to top dead,then took cam sensor cap off.Went to remove bolt for cam sensor it was loose a 1/2 turn.Pulled sensor don't see any major wear to say it is shot.But it did move up and down before lossing bolt.Proceed to take oil pump out, got bolts all out and pulled gear and shaft.Found that on housing where gears ride there is wear on the bottom plate.Which I know were not there when installed it.Other then that gears are good etc.Could it be the sensor being loose cause pump to move up and down and shafts was causing noise?????I guess i will see,going to reinstall and see what does...I am going to replace pump just in case...

explain more on this clearnce?

Wear on the plate is pretty normal. Thats why you replace the oil filter housings routinely on rebuilds.

forgot the proper clearance on the gears but did you make shure they didnt lock up when you bolted on the oil adpt cover? loose cam sensor would make some noise no doubt

if the cam sensor bolt was loose the sensor would try to work itself upward as the rpm increased. Which would give you a ticking sound. Is the front cover a new hi volume one? Where was it made? China perhaps. I ask because I went thru this years ago with a new cover, but the time the machine shop found the noise and repaired the cover it was cheaper to buy a new GM one.

if the cam sensor bolt was loose the sensor would try to work itself upward as the rpm increased. Which would give you a ticking sound. Is the front cover a new hi volume one? Where was it made? China perhaps. I ask because I went thru this years ago with a new cover, but the time the machine shop found the noise and repaired the cover it was cheaper to buy a new GM one.

it was the stock one machined and set up with a melling high volume.Rod bearings, mains,rod, freeze plugs,rings cam head gaskets timing chain everything was new.Cam heads ,rollers, all new at this time also had 600 miles before anything started making noise. I replaced pump and spring everything again today just to insure it wasn't a weak pump.Noise is still there i scoped both sides of motor ,listened on exhaust 1 and 2 can here the knock as clear as day on both sides.And if you put scope on pump were shaft runs up to cam sensor, knock is there loud as can be also.So I am going to say a rod bearing crapped,or lifter. Machine shop is going to be getting a call tommorrow...:mad: I really don't want to pull the motor back out:mad: what I don't get is oil pressure is at 45 hot and it runs great no wobble to anything ,so how could a rod bearing be bad....This really sucks....