Engine noise....

forgot the proper clearance on the gears but did you make shure they didnt lock up when you bolted on the oil adpt cover? loose cam sensor would make some noise no doubt

yes they turned freely i spun shaft with a drill for priming it.and I know gears did not hit side of case when i put them in cover.

The noise described sounds exactly like the noise my rod bearings were making. I too was very bummed. I hope you might have some kind of warranty on them?:confused: ?

I hope to never hear that noise ever again

The noise described sounds exactly like the noise my rod bearings were making. I too was very bummed. I hope you might have some kind of warranty on them?:confused: ?

I hope to never hear that noise ever again

they have built numerous engines for my family.My brother had a motor built by them a year ago and the oil pump he got with motor failed after 1500 miles they covered all the damage to it.So I will see what they say tommorrow..It sucks getting all this time into it and finally getting to drive it after winter of waiting,and now summer is here time to be out racing and my junk is coming back apart probably....

well took it to the engine shop called today for an update....and its a rod bearing.Number 1 went south,so 10 under the crank goes and back together it will be.They are replacing everything in the motor cam bearings,rod bearings,main bearings.Basically it will be a freshened refreshed rebuild.I asked em what the cause of bearing going and he told me ,he didn't have any thing that looked out of place.No abnormal wear,no out of round rods nothing.So he called the bearing place and they said possible he just got a bad bearing...I laughed ,so i will have it back to me in 3 days or so.

If when the crank was turned & not retreated ( ion nitrade process ) All that has to happen is a little debris get between the bearing & crank it will eat itself up. Years ago I has a few failures such as yours & ever since I have adapted that procedure no more problem's.I'm also assuming the engine was primed properly before start up Good Luck

whatever is wrong with it the engine shop has no problem replacing everthing and going through it for FREE.Yes FREE,i pulled the motor left the heads intake rail turbo manifolds cover etc,dropped it off there.Called em friday they had everything ripped apart down to a bare block again.Today (saturday) I stopped in and they were starting to clean up crank and checking parts over to get ready to reassemble.Engine guy and i were talking and he was showing me the bearings and stuff ,and said he is wondering wtf him self.So all is good so far...

WELL it lives it was a bad rod bearing after all. Got the motor back and put it back in started her up purrs like a kitten again. The engine shop went thru the whole motor again boiled the block,rings,bearings,seal,gaskets everything wanted to make sure it was all good.Cost to me was a set of new plugs and 2 oil filters and 8 quarts of oil and about 5 hours of pulling it out and putting it in.God it was nice driving it yesterday the 75 miles I put on it,the daughter and i took it to the road course to watch some scca racing.Ran awesome now to get it broke in so i can start tweaking things next month at the track.

Thanks to all that gave advice on what may be....

I pancaked a rod bearing last year & it sounded just as you described. Looking at the bearing, it didn't seem that out of whack but it was flattened some & thats all it took. Like a marble was in the engine at 2000 rpm.
Glad its all back together for you! Have Fun!!

Did you get a chance to look at the bearing?

Yes it was round on the outside where it would sit in the rod but the inner looked like a hammer hit it Flat.It didn't spin in the rod at all,but like I said it was real flat on the inside where it rides on the crank.