You can type here any text you want

Engine oil pump pick-up tube?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NCTURBOS

Gettin' back in action!!
Staff member
I'm down to my last (2) GM N.O.S. pick-up tubes, so soon I'll need to start using units from the aftermarket.

What has anyone found to be the best one available? I've heard pros/cons about some of them from the screen not having full coverage, to too large of holes in the screen, to no bypass flapper, etc...

Thanks much,

K.

Ever get an answer to this question? I'm getting ready to order an new pick up tube and would like to know which is best.

I believe I found a identical replacement at NAPA, Hastings or Melling brand.

Initially I thought my tube was aftermarket, but my engine builder told me he fabricated this one. Not sure if he makes them to sale. This is for an aftermarket oil pan - RJC.
IMG_2024.JPG

^^^ I thought the style with the plate across was not as good as the one with the check valve in it?? Is there a difference???

^^^ I thought the style with the plate across was not as good as the one with the check valve in it?? Is there a difference???
As I mentioned, my engine builder fabricated this. I guess the check valve has its advantages and disadvantages. If the screen plugs, then you will get oil to your motor. On the other hand the check valve could let material pass into the oiling system and do damage, where as the screen with the plate will not. I'm stating this based on what is obvious.
For me personally, I prefer the oil screen minus the check valve. I've put a lot of money into my 109 rebuild and I will be changing oil routinely when driving and hope to keep it clean. I think as long as you change your oil regularly, you will be ok without the check valve. In 2010 I had to replace my shortblock and I was the first to pull the oil from the block. At that time the block was 23 years old. The screen wasn't plugged at all, however, there was about a half inch of sludge at the bottom of the pan. I will be pulling my engine, maybe every 5 years to freshen it up and at that time I would pull the oil pan and clean it.

So I think it boils down to personal preference. However, had my engine builder put a check valve in I would have been ok with that as well.

I have tried a few aftermarket ones from the big box stores. One out of three fit correctly. The pickups were not braised in the correct orientation to the tube. It would hit the bottom of the pan before the pan rails would contact the block.
The one that worked was ordered from O'reily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back