Engine rebuild advice

Skinny

I recently removed and tore down the engine from my 85 T type. I found that not only was it not the original block, all the info I've found points towards it being a non-turbo block (not sure that there's any difference anyway). The bore measured .030 over and there was some damage near the bottom of the #1 cylinder.

I've found a std bore 109 block that needs a rebuild. I removed this engine myself at my previous job, so I know it's a good rebuildable shortblock. I would like to go ahead and convert my hot-air car to intercooled as well, but that's a whole different thread.

What I would like to know is where to go for good rebuild parts? Who sells parts in kit forms with good pistons, etc. Any recommendations for particular pistons, rings, bearings, cam, etc would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Full Throttle Speed has complete kits. Mike can help you out with all you need for the motor. As for the conversion you are better to buy a used 86-87 complete motor unless you can get the parts but it will usually cost more. Not always but usually. I just gave a guy a super deal to convert his hot air & its less than any motor will cost but he got me in a good mood that day!

I didn't see any complete kits at Full Throttle Speed. I saw a complete gasket set, but nothing with bearings, pistons, freeze plugs, etc.

I did find an old Poston catalog that had complete sets with forged pistons and even a cam, but I don't know much about their parts. It seems a little "too cheap" to me....

for a mild turbo motor Summit Racing has a complete federal mogul kit (Part# FEM-MHP111-311 ) with pistons, bearings, gaskets, etc etc etc....... for somewhere around 550.00

I have used this kit and have had great results.

A.j.

Weber Racing has a couple of already built shortblocks ready to go if you are in need of a motor ready to go. I think he posted this in the advertiser section.

I didn't see any complete kits at Full Throttle Speed. I saw a complete gasket set, but nothing with bearings, pistons, freeze plugs, etc.

I did find an old Poston catalog that had complete sets with forged pistons and even a cam, but I don't know much about their parts. It seems a little "too cheap" to me....

Just call Mike at Full Throttle & he can set you up with everything.

If you can fit it into your budget I would strongly recommend a roller cam, I just finished my build and this being the 4th engine. All I can say is I wish I had built a roller the first time.:biggrin:

Unfortunately comp cams are the ones lots of people are running with mixed results...(some quiet/some noisy)
however Lee Thompson found a source for Johnson lifters...have a very good reputation as being extremely quiet and the price difference is not that much more....
T/A performance has a new lifter coming out soon as well...I don't believe it has been released to the public yet though......
I am getting the Johnson Lifters though....

I have also had mixed reviews on the comps which is what I use but befoe I moved forward i did a lot of research on it. Most everybody concludes that if your pushrod length is correct then you have a nice quite engine. I took my time and measured every one when I built the engine and it is very quite!

Unfortunately comp cams are the ones lots of people are running with mixed results...(some quiet/some noisy)
however Lee Thompson found a source for Johnson lifters...have a very good reputation as being extremely quiet and the price difference is not that much more....
T/A performance has a new lifter coming out soon as well...I don't believe it has been released to the public yet though......
I am getting the Johnson Lifters though....

Where can we buy the Johnson lifters??

I have also had mixed reviews on the comps which is what I use but befoe I moved forward i did a lot of research on it. Most everybody concludes that if your pushrod length is correct then you have a nice quite engine. I took my time and measured every one when I built the engine and it is very quite!

My pushrods are the perfect length, and it is still noisy as hell.