You can type here any text you want

Ever Seen This?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SGRIM

Owner/Admin TB.com
Staff member
Wasn't mine:eek::biggrin:

Broken.jpg

Can be reused. Soak it overnight and it'll be good for another 100k. ;)

All I want to know is who is that sexy chic in the background with the bubble butt? Oh nevermind, I see the hairy forearm and that its a beer gut. My bad.

Ive never known anyone that would rive around that long on something like that. It would take a lot of time to wear that much. Must have been extremely loud

Isn't that one of those Rev Kit lifters? The spring sticks out to cause rotational forces so it doesn't wear out, most call them "roller lifters". The hole is burned in with an EDM mill to provide positive oiling to the cam. I think the valve spring in that picture is just about the right seat pressure. I measured it with my Harbor Freight calipers on my 'puter screen. YEP!.....just checked again and its just about right on.

Oh wait........I got it now........Its a "curb feeler" for a lifter, so's you know when your cam is walking too close to that lifter causing "Compulsive Cam Wiggle" (CCW as it's known in maintainence manuals). Excessive CCW can lead to pre-ignition and detonation in the third realm of combustion which can tear a lifters face clean off!!!! Good thing you caught it right away. That'll buff out real easy. Pour in two cans of ZDDP and you'll be fine.

Actually it looks like the cam DID walk too much hitting that lifter with an adjacent lobe. Look at the damage to the side of the lifter. I HAVE seen that happen before. THe cam core had a misplaced lobe. One was too close to another. As the RPM increased and the cam walked forward a few thousandths, it would hit an adjacent lifter and cause bad popping. That was hard to diagnose. I've only seen that once, though.

i have seen exactly that--------several years ago i was passing by a house near Hico lake and spotted a GN parked in tall grass--------it was obvious it hadn't run in quite a while-------i stopped to see if i could buy it------guy comes to the door and i ask about the car-------he says that it ran ok when he parked it but it had a "pretty bad lifter noise"--------gas was jelled in the tank and there was no way he could get it started so i bought it right---------got it home and didnt even try to start it-------body was good and interior was so-so------just pulled the motor to examine it and boy was it trashed-------had apparently been run for quite a while like that with resulting low oil pressure--------thrust bearing was beat out and crank was worn worse than any i had ever seen-------even the #2 cap was worn to the point it could not be saved--------sure glad i got a good deal on it..........RC

We had exactly that happen to our 454 Big Block in the jet boat. Bought it and it had a miss and some valve train noise. Ended up when the cam side broke off the lifter "collapsed" and must have had very little contact with the cam since it was fully compressed. The cam looked un-touched, put a new lifter in and it ran without an issue all the way until we did a cam swap..

,Dan

From what I understand this was the only hurt piece in this engine:eek:

Back