You can type here any text you want

exhaust systems

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Kyle F

Addicted to Boost
OK... So I am in the market for a cat back(going to replace the cat with a test pipe after inspection) but unsure of what will actually fit a TTA, and what will sound good.

What are you guys running? The stock long pipe is showing spots of rust that will soon be coming through.

I notice that most systems are listed of rall 83-92 F-cars.. does this include the TTA?

An recmomendations to keep me from spending $300+ on a catback?

If your intermediate pipe (from the cat to the muffler) is the only thing that's rusty, you can buy a brand new one from GM for about $175. That is probably the cheapest option. Should hold for another 14 years. :p

My car is suffering the same fate, little rust pinholes the length of the intermediate pipe. I'm still deciding if I want to replace it or buy a Stainless SLP Cat-back system for about $390.

Kyle, AFAIK any system designed for the single-cat 350 TPI cars will work. I use the Edelbrock myself. It uses a crossflow muffler (stock 1 tailpipe on each side design) which I've heard isn't the best for pure performance, but I'm sure it's still better than stock and sounds great. Also heard good things about the SLP system.

I am using the ATR kit. Its stainless, but expensive. It sounds decent, but if you rev it high it sounds kinda ricey.

Just get rid of the exhaust and run a dump... about 75% of the time i run an open dump anyway.

~Murt

Yea, I want the tail pipe on each side look. I dont really like the onside exit. I know it is suposed to be better for flow, but I will sac a ittle for looks here and there.

I guess I am going to spend around $300 huh

I also have the ATR system on my car...Actually Also an ATR downpipe(Stock Replacement) and There crossover pipe also..

The exhaust sounds really good,doesnt drone much,Has a real nice tone at Idle,But if you rev the motor to about 3000-3500Rpm's,and let off,It has a horrible sounding Ricer growl..So I just never do that...HTH...Shawn

I recently replaced my mid pipe with an OE unit and the muffler with a new Magnaflow crossflow (stock exiting). I think the sound is excellent and have been told by others this is true as well. The flow seems to be fine as my car picks up nothing on the track opening the dump. My original 15k mile exhaust was all but falling off and the muffler sounded like some kind of musical instrument when shook....glad I made the change!

Well, I have had good results with Flowmaster before, but have never heard them on a 3.8T. Does anyone use them or should I just look at teh ATR or Magnaflow?

Flowmasters aren't the right choice for a turbo car as the internal baffles create backpressure. You want a straight through muffler.

My car had a Flowmaster on it when I got it. The sound wasn't bad, but there was very bad interior resonance from the exhaust note from about 50-70mph.

I put a SS Dynomax Ultraflo on it, and the sound is much better, and the resonance is gone.

Troy

I have a dynomax exhaust on my car with a test pipe... It gives a very nice rumble without resonating like crazy and making you uncomfortable... And the best part is its not very expensive either...

Kyle,

Surprised no one mentioned Hooker, it was a favorite at one time but I would bet now (about a year and a half latter) there are many more options. It is aluminized, mandrel bent, with dual outlets. It has sort of like stock TTA outlets. They are chrome, dual round pipe (“Y” off of actual tail pipes) but they are lager and not angle cut like the stockers. I was going to cut my stockers off and switch them over but they kind of grew on me. The Intermediate pipe is 3”. There are stock location mounts but to be honest I had to go get a couple of generic hanger kits from Autozone to make it hang like I wanted. The intermediate pipe also has a joint at the rear end for easy assembly or disassembly. The kit comes with clamps to use “temporarily until the system can be welded”. I opted to hit Napa and pick up some SS band clamps for all of the joints. They allowed me to adjust the system, or even take parts out while working on the car, without mangling the pipes with standard “C” type clamps. Plus the SS hardware they include comes loose with little effort. I think it was like $220 to my door from summit.
It sounds great at idle and does not have a “ricey” rasp up high. The only thing I did not like was a drone at cruising however I soon became used to it and now don’t even notice.

I also run a SS Terry Houston DP with a straight pipe (dump tube) in place of the CAT.

Brent

Actually I was surprised that nobody mentioned the Hooker. It sounds like what I am looking for. Will look at it next..... I want to be able to put all of my rear suspension upgrades and exhaust on at the same time I do the fuel pump.

I run the ATR kit and I like the sound. I used to have a full lenght exhaust with no muffler and hated that set up. I believe the ATR kit goes for $595 and comes with 3 mandrel bent stainless pipes. It also comes with a stainless custom made single inlet dual outlet muffler. I think you can buy just the muffler for $180 if your looking for a sound and flow upgrade over a stock muffler. I dont think thats too high for a high flow stainless muff. I bought a Flowmaster once for a 3rd gen Z28. I paid around $100 for it and it was rusted out in just over 2 years. I say if your going to have the car for more than just a couple of years then buy the good stainless stuff because in the long haul it will actually wind up being cheaper.

HTH: Jason

p.s: I got a brand new ATR cat back minus the muffler and clamps that I would be interested in selling. I need money for my new fuel system :( .

I am having trouble figuring out which exact number the correct Hooker catback for our car is?

Cant seem to find this anywhere and they all seem to use the same generic picture whether it is Holley catalog or Summit

later and thanks
Jeremy

SLP makes a nice one. Stainless too. You'd have to get a 4th gen dual/dual muffler and tailpipes to have it come out on both sides. It should look pretty close to stock also as they used splitters similar to stock TTA tips.

I have the normal 2 on the left and loved the sound. Very mellow, not raspy or annoying. The dual/dual is even quieter.

Back