You can type here any text you want

Factory painted tailpipes?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gncharger

Hey guys , got a question. My 87 gn ( bone stock 20000 miles) has black painted exhaust pipes (only the tailpipes,behind the muffler) did it come that way or have they been painted? I have looked at old mags and brochures but can't tell either way.

Hey guys , got a question. My 87 gn ( bone stock 20000 miles) has black painted exhaust pipes (only the tailpipes,behind the muffler) did it come that way or have they been painted? I have looked at old mags and brochures but can't tell either way.

Mine also had the black painted tailpipes when I bought it brand new in '87, so I guess it's original...

Claude. :cool:

Yes they were that way from the factory.

It's hard to see because they're highlighted but this was the week it came home from the dealer

171044_1263848853852_1758662159_477633_5843376_o.jpg

same here, factory black paint on the tail pipes. I always wondered the same thing

The majority of the ones I've seen in Canada did not come with the pipes painted black. I always thought someone painted them black. All the GNX's I've seen came with black pipes.

What I'd like to know is why some did and some didn't?

My GN ( Canadian car) were not painted but my Limited was:confused:

Kevin

Thanks for the info, didn't know for sure. I know my ride has original body paint except for bumper fillers that I replaced when I purchased the car five years ago from it's second owner that had it since 1988.

My brother's '87 also had the pipes painted from the factory. Has anyone else seen a factory exhaust that had "Fixture Checked" painted across the muffler in stenciled letters?

Has anyone else seen a factory exhaust that had "Fixture Checked" painted across the muffler in stenciled letters?

Yep, my car had these words lettered across the muffler, along with the black tailpipes... :wink:

P.S: I don't know what "fixture checked" meant though...:confused:

Yep, my car had these words lettered across the muffler, along with the black tailpipes... :wink:

P.S: I don't know what "fixture checked" meant though...:confused:
I'm sure it was just an old fasion QC (quality control) measure. The exhaust was placed in a fixture/jig to be sure it met specifications and would fit properly. I'm not sure if it was done daily, weekly, every 100 pieces, or more or less often. Now a days it would just get put in a coordinate measure system and would computer generate a report showing how well it meets the CAD model. No need to build/store big fixtures.

I'm an original owner and saved every original part... here is a photo of the original muffler and tailpipes off my car that I took off at about 1,500 miles to go to a dual exhaust. Paul

Attachments

• OriginalMuffler.jpg
    OriginalMuffler.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 149

Awesome thread. Had the exact question. I was told mine was original and they were also black. Because of age, paint was coming off so I was trying to keep them black...until I had to put a new full exhaust on with the Flowmaster setup for our cars. Now I wonder if I should paint the exhaust black to keep it the original look or leave it alone. Any opinions? Has anyone done this and what paint did you use that can hold up to the temps?

Back