Fast XFI or Big Stuff Everyday Driveablilty

how about your's, i know your in the 9's but whats the car like ?

Melissa's is a daily driver.. thats everyday driving from April to Nov/Dec (we drive it till the snow flies) . Talking to her last night she's put 5800 miles on it so far this year. Her's is a loaded hardtop car.. Has power everything.. All of it works except for the antenna :mad: (to lazy to put a new one I have here in:rolleyes: ) . Has AC to and it works :p Drivability was nailed the moment it started in 06. Car is driven just the way we race it. Weigh's in at 3660#s BUT maybe a little heavier now with the rest of the cage installed.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 202
I guess if they were busy, I'd have to wait. thats why its important to learn your system so you can tune it yourself. Just like with the others. If I email them the gct file along with the run, its like they are setting in my car looking at my computer. No difference being miles away or there on the spot. I don't have to input data ( which you just stated could be imput wrong) to show what was going on.
If I had bought the translator and the thumbwheel ect... would I automatically know how to tune it ? would I magically know what timing to put in, ect....with out someone telling me what to do ?

I don't tune my TT chip for driveability, start up, or idle. It works fine out of the box. My chip (TT 6.0) has wideband tracking too. I can set a WOT and mid boost A/F ratio and it will add or subtract fuel as needed. I am not even using that option yet though. In fact I have had 3 other big ECU guys go back to the stock ecm and the cars drove better around town and made more power at WOT out of the box. They read the instructions all of 2 to 3 pages and understand how to control it with out contacting Eric. Can they make adjustments for more power...Im sure they can.:biggrin: I like the Big ECUs. They are nice but not for everyone. If you buy one used. Hope you can tune it, Good luck!
Heavy car like me... sounds, stock gn wheels, stock block, Iron heads, t tops, steel bumper reinforcements, nothing light about it. :)

Melissa's is a daily driver.. thats everyday driving from April to Nov/Dec (we drive it till the snow flies) . Talking to her last night she's put 5800 miles on it so far this year. Her's is a loaded hardtop car.. Has power everything.. All of it works except for the antenna :mad: (to lazy to put a new one I have here in:rolleyes: ) . Has AC to and it works :p Drivability was nailed the moment it started in 06. Car is driven just the way we race it. Weigh's in at 3660#s BUT maybe a little heavier now with the rest of the cage installed.

yea, my antenna doesn't work either. :confused: What's the motor like ? stroked ? stock block ? head choice ? com'on give us the good stuff ! lol

i got xfi in my car and drive it quiet alot and love the driveability of it and the car runs decent times at the track to boot, lol. i would have no problem running a stock computer in my car but i changed mine for different reasons then others would since my car is mainly street raced...

Why would anyone dis the stock ECM? :confused:

" It’s true: The brain of NASA’s primary vehicle has the computational power of an IBM 5150, that ’80s icon that goes for $20 at yard sales. According to NASA and IBM, the shuttle’s General Purpose Computer (GPC)—which controls, among other things, the entire launch sequence—is an upgrade of the 500-kilobyte computer the shuttle flew with until 1991.

Such an antiquated computer works just fine for NASA. The shuttle doesn’t need to support a powerful graphics engine or create PowerPoint presentations or store MP3s. It focuses entirely on raw functions—thrusters on, thrusters off—which, though mathematically complex, don’t require the juice that a user interface like Windows calls for. The GPC has flown so many missions with hardly a hiccup that there’s no reason to replace it, even if it is just 0.005 percent as powerful as an Xbox 360. Besides, a complete overhaul would be horrendously expensive. The GPC’s software would have to be completely reconfigured for a modern computer and tested until proven flawless.

For proof that you shouldn’t fix a space computer if it ain’t broke, consider Russia’s Soyuz space capsule, which since 1974 has been running Argon-16 flight-computer software with just six kilobytes of RAM. In 2003 the Russians rewrote some of the spacecraft’s software, which experts suspect led to its subsequent crash-landing in a desert in Kazakhstan. "

What flies the shuttle isn't all that powerful. :cool:

Thank you for posting this. As I was reading this thread and seeing posts about the "speed" of the stock ecm I was getting upset.

Quite simply, the ecm does not need a whole lot of processing power to do way more than you would ever need it to do. You are working within a relatively slow set of operating parameters (yes, your engine is way slow compared to the kind of processing speed needed for something as simple as a video game) with very simple look-ups and adjustments.

If you want to talk about pluses and minuses people should be bringing up things like interface, how intuitive it is to use, and is it designed with the features you need. That's mostly in how the code is written, not as a result of how fast the processor is in the ecms we are talking about.

Accelerometers are a proven technology. Nothing butt about it.

Don, I was thinking the same thing.

Coincidentally, Accelerometers are used in Inertial Navigation which is used in spacecraft (and aircraft, submarines, guided missles, etc)

So, no, grumpy, not quite "butt dyno" unless you consider inertial navigation systems "butt dyno navigation"

Granted the sophistication in the application of these systems can vary, and in practice users can invalidate data through improper set up and use

Granted the sophistication in the application of these systems can vary, and in practice users can invalidate data through improper set up and use

YES I believe they do work in that case.. I had something years ago we would have held on to the windshield with suction cups.. can't remember the damm name but it was in 1986. It was about as accurate as a butt dyno.. :p I believe track #s :cool:

Thank you for posting this. As I was reading this thread and seeing posts about the "speed" of the stock ecm I was getting upset.

Quite simply, the ecm does not need a whole lot of processing power to do way more than you would ever need it to do. You are working within a relatively slow set of operating parameters (yes, your engine is way slow compared to the kind of processing speed needed for something as simple as a video game) with very simple look-ups and adjustments.

If you want to talk about pluses and minuses people should be bringing up things like interface, how intuitive it is to use, and is it designed with the features you need. That's mostly in how the code is written, not as a result of how fast the processor is in the ecms we are talking about.

Don, I was thinking the same thing.

Coincidentally, Accelerometers are used in Inertial Navigation which is used in spacecraft (and aircraft, submarines, guided missles, etc)

So, no, grumpy, not quite "butt dyno" unless you consider inertial navigation systems "butt dyno navigation"

There has only been one person on this thread that has mentioned the speed of the computer's stock or aftermarket.

Look i can't write hex code period and i'm not going to learn it either.

The choice is simple to me aftermarket. I learned a lot faster on how to tune my car for what it want's with a FAST instead of a chip with all the adjustments.

Like is posted before to make the stock ecm do what the aftermarket can do is roughly 800-900 bucks (just depends of what vendor-shipping costs) so why would i buy all that when i could buy a used fast for the same price or maybe more?

I spent 1000 on my system back in 06.

Look i'm not putting down the stock ecm. but you can't deny what a FAST,AEM,BIGSTUFF3 on what they can do.

If tuning with the stock ecm is so easy and safe why in the hell is TSO-TSM (i think there might be one stock ecm in TSM) players using XFI's there must be something to it since all those guys could have saved the 17-1800 bucks on some other race parts or hell fuel!

TSM and TSO are very competitive classes. They push the rules to the limit to get every single bit of power they can. Like the GTQ wheel vs. the HPQ wheel. They had a mid to low turbo with the GTQ but if there is a chance the the HPQ can make 10 or 15 more horsepower at the same boost, they spend the $1500+ and put the GTQ on the shelf. Would that be smart for a regular person who isn't a class racer?

If one can tune a fast they can tune a chip. Nobody is knocking the ECUs out there. Its just not needed for 12,11 and 10 second combos. I would even say a lot of these combos can get into the nines with a chip/ECM.

TSM and TSO are very competitive classes. They push the rules to the limit to get every single bit of power they can. Like the GTQ wheel vs. the HPQ wheel. They had a mid to low turbo with the GTQ but if there is a chance the the HPQ can make 10 or 15 more horsepower at the same boost, they spend the $1500+ and put the GTQ on the shelf. Would that be smart for a regular person who isn't a class racer? so what your saying is those guys have the potential to get a tad bit more power from there combo using a aftermarket system VS a stock ecm with all the bells and whistles.

If one can tune a fast they can tune a chip. Nobody is knocking the ECUs out there. Its just not needed for 12,11 and 10 second combos. I would even say a lot of these combos can get into the nines with a chip/ECM.

it may not be needed in your opinion but you know what they say about opinions:rolleyes:

you can also dig a hole in the ground thats 10x10x10 using a tablespoon
but using a backhoe will allow one to do that same job faster and still have the same results. the hole would be dug;)

T

How many TSO cars and TSM cars are daily drivers? :confused: :p :eek:

IF I wanted the last drop of power aftermarket I guess I would buy the big daddy of aftermarket ECMs the Motec. Don't see much of an agrument here for them either. ;)

Nobody answered the question yet as to what you need for a driver such as interface for A/C, TCC, fans, etc. with the aftermarket systems? :confused:

Not sure if you need anything or not but the answers might be good to have in this thread. :cool:

Remember that backhoe needs diesel fuel, a battery, a smart driver... etc.

The tablespoon only needs some muscle. :p

I guess I'm not "old" enough to understand. When new technology is there, I like to take advantage of it.

Plus I'm too lazy to turn the key, fumble around for a sheet of paper, press the gas pedal, hold it, press it, blah blah. Also don't like big bulky controllers mounted to my dash.

I guess youre not.

If you looked at the stock calibration tables versus aftermarket ECMs, you'd see quickly that the stock ECM is far superior from a driveability standard.

Part of the problem and the reason this debate keeps coming up is because there are vendors out there that will convince you you need a FAST even if youre running 12s. Nevermind that the stock ECM is perfectly fine down to 10s.

Truth be told, a MAF Pro and stock ECM would take you deep into the 10s.. perhaps even farther.. with great driveability and comparable tuning to what a FAST offers but since only one vendor sells those and its easier and more profitable for others to push FAST, you see where you end up.

We sell FAST and BS3 but if someone comes into our shop with a street car, Ill put a MAF Pro on the car. Takes a lot less time to get going and is simple enough you can show someone how to adjust it without them needing to carry a laptop around with them when they go to to Sonic.

How many TSO cars and TSM cars are daily drivers? :confused: :p :eek:

IF I wanted the last drop of power aftermarket I guess I would buy the big daddy of aftermarket ECMs the Motec. Don't see much of an agrument here for them either. ;)

The engine management system on BWR's TT alcohol car cost twice what a Motec costs and does a hell of a lot more.

Motec is entry level in the "boutique" engine management market.

I guess youre not.

If you looked at the stock calibration tables versus aftermarket ECMs, you'd see quickly that the stock ECM is far superior from a driveability standard.

Part of the problem and the reason this debate keeps coming up is because there are vendors out there that will convince you you need a FAST even if youre running 12s. Nevermind that the stock ECM is perfectly fine down to 10s.

Truth be told, a MAF Pro and stock ECM would take you deep into the 10s.. perhaps even farther.. with great driveability and comparable tuning to what a FAST offers but since only one vendor sells those and its easier and more profitable for others to push FAST, you see where you end up.

We sell FAST and BS3 but if someone comes into our shop with a street car, Ill put a MAF Pro on the car. Takes a lot less time to get going and is simple enough you can show someone how to adjust it without them needing to carry a laptop around with them when they go to to Sonic.

Eloquently said, and the same arguement I've been puting forward for a long time. But, it pretty much falls on deaf ears.
I've had so many tell me they can get just as good a street manners out of their FAST equipped ride as I can. Until I take them for a test drive and find out what they consider "good street manners" as compared to what I think they should be.
BTW, Trans Pro's been deep into the 9's. :D

oh oh.. I thought this thread was goin to die.. :biggrin:

Attachments

• can_of_worms_ahead.jpg
    can_of_worms_ahead.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 226
Nobody answered the question yet as to what you need for a driver such as interface for A/C, TCC, fans, etc. with the aftermarket systems? :confused:

There is no interface needed. The xfi and the BG3 and AEMwill control the A/C, TCC and the fans and can take it one step farther and have traction control and closed loop boost control.

If the FAST,BG3 and AEM and other aftermarket systems didn't work as good as they do why is there so many items that one can add to the stock ecm to make it act like a fast, bg3, aem. ?

BTW your making it sound like aftermarket ecm will only run the engine @ WOT or a idle and nothing in between :rolleyes:

with my car i had the tt chip and the gen2 tran with ls1 maf and never got the throttle response of the fast. my car is so much crisper and responsive off idle and in the lower rpm. now i dont know if they can tune the chip better for that but in my experance the fast has the stock ecm beat in my car anyway down low.my car did run well with the stock ecm though.it just felt lazier when i nailed the throttle.with the fast the car fells like its got a carb on it

with my car i had the tt chip and the gen2 tran with ls1 maf and never got the throttle response of the fast. my car is so much crisper and responsive off idle and in the lower rpm. now i dont know if they can tune the chip better for that but in my experance the fast has the stock ecm beat in my car anyway down low.my car did run well with the stock ecm though.it just felt lazier when i nailed the throttle.with the fast the car fells like its got a carb on it

Actually, there's enough tuneability in the Translator to take care of that. But having an Extender Extreme G chip would have made tuning SO much better.