Fast XFI or Big Stuff Everyday Driveablilty

You still have to pay a chip burner for the chip changes too....so that argument of paying a "tuner" for the xfi is a wash....If you only have a chip, with no available choices of tune, you have to take the chip out, mail it off and wait until they send it back to you....whats so difficult about getting a start up tune for the xfi ? One can actually get a start up tune from the vendor they buy the xfi from ... The great thing about the xfi, as mentioned above, any add on's you decide to buy later, are easily intergrated with the xfi as your tuning device without having to buy another chip. Also, if your at the track, and have wireless internet on your lap top, ( as I do ) you can record a run, email it to one of the vendors ( jack has done this for me personally...he rocks !) he can make the changes and email it back. You can download it and be ready to make another run without missing a pass.... Now THAT is kick ass technology ! There is NO comparison....

So youre having someone not even at the track who isnt watching the car running make your adjustments.

So if youre emailing files all over the place and having remote tuning done, no wonder you like FAST so much, youre not doing crap with it except having someone remotely "tune" it for you. Whats the difference in this and a chip other than youre swapping one file for another. Sounds like to me youre just as much at the mercy of someone else as you would be if you had a chip.

If the FAST,BG3 and AEM and other aftermarket systems didn't work as good as they do why is there so many items that one can add to the stock ecm to make it act like a fast, bg3, aem. ? QUOTE]

I guess there is not a answer for this is there?

with my car i had the tt chip and the gen2 tran with ls1 maf and never got the throttle response of the fast. my car is so much crisper and responsive off idle and in the lower rpm. now i dont know if they can tune the chip better for that but in my experance the fast has the stock ecm beat in my car anyway down low.my car did run well with the stock ecm though.it just felt lazier when i nailed the throttle.with the fast the car fells like its got a carb on it

I have to agree with this post. on my car i had a TT chip with stock maf and a 87 ecm modded for my 55's. i changed to a FAST and the car had better throttle response and it seemed to run so much smoother and crisper then the stock ecm. Cant explain why as the car ran great with the TT setup but ran better after the XFI. maybe its due to my tuner :rolleyes:

[QUOTE;2141731]
The BS3 IMO is warmed over Fast Classic with old out dated software. Tech help if you are in a pinch is non existent and if you do even get the arrogant return phone call you will be treated as if you are an idiot. Warranty forget it. I can go on and on as to other issues with the unit but I have posted enough to bring out the BS3 guys to blast me as it is.

Lonnie, can you elaborate a little how the GEN 3 box is a warmed up classic FAST? Powertrain control, DAI, DAE, Racepak interface, torque management, Coil on plug, extended replay (76 seconds of data at 50 frames per second), 3 step control? Oh, it's all in 1 box also, no piggyback stuff.

I've tried my best to help others who have had problems with tech support with BS3, and have helped. It has been a issue with a certain dealer dropping the ball and not supporting their customers.

Would the world of XFI be the same (expecially in the Buick world) without Cals contributions to tech support? I think a good tuner should be able to tune all the systems, that is if they are smart enough and spend the time learning the ins and outs of each system. :cool:

Actually, there's enough tuneability in the Translator to take care of that. But having an Extender Extreme G chip would have made tuning SO much better.

ive had one of those also lol. thats what i had in the car last but i never did hook up my wideband which i know wouldve helped. like i said the gen 2 was an awesome setup and im not knocking it in any way what so ever.i just like the fast better. i like the speed density which i know i could get with the pro but i just didnt want another piggyback system.ive tuned the fast driving around and its super easy. its as easy as tuning a chip with the start up program that you get from the vendors. why if the stock ecm is as good as a fast is there a 10 or maybe 9 sec limit on using the stock computer?

Love the drivability,flexability to tune on the fly, not to mention the extra inputs and output for additional functions ie transbrake,egt and more.

All done easly with FAST XFI ,and a quick microproccessor to get the job done

ive had one of those also lol. thats what i had in the car last but i never did hook up my wideband which i know wouldve helped. like i said the gen 2 was an awesome setup and im not knocking it in any way what so ever.i just like the fast better. i like the speed density which i know i could get with the pro but i just didnt want another piggyback system.ive tuned the fast driving around and its super easy. its as easy as tuning a chip with the start up program that you get from the vendors. why if the stock ecm is as good as a fast is there a 10 or maybe 9 sec limit on using the stock computer?

If you didn't have a wideband on the gen2 you really weren't scratching the surface of what the gen2 is capable of. So it's a little more than "it would have helped".

In reality I think Megasquirt has more potential than any of them. It's almost infinitely configurable. More DIY though, I know most TR guys want plug and play (with someone doing the tuning for them).

There are many ways to skin this cat, just different strokes for different folks.

In reality I think Megasquirt has more potential than any of them. It's almost infinitely configurable. More DIY though, I know most TR guys want plug and play (with someone doing the tuning for them).

There are many ways to skin this cat, just different strokes for different folks.

I have a megasquirt ecm on my 91 eagle talon tsi, it's a pretty kewl piece for no more money than it cost.

if i didn't already have the fast on the buick i would have one on it by now. it runs the talon very well.

i got the version 3 ms1 processor. it took about 3hrs to solder it up and make a just harness to the factory wiring.

No doubt for drivability and ease of use, the stock ECM is easier for someone who dosen't want to learn. If you're willing to learn, an aftermarket system is not hard to learn/tune.

No doubt for drivability and ease of use, the stock ECM is easier for someone who dosen't want to learn. If you're willing to learn, an aftermarket system is not hard to learn/tune.

But again.. ITS NOT AS GOOD FOR DRIVEABILITY.

You can sit here and debate this all you want. Traction Control, etc has nothing to do with driveability. Maybe you can program your FAST to bake you a pie or knit you a sweater while you're at it and introduce that into the argument.

The XFI and the BS3 are natural progressions from the Classic FAST. The Classic FAST is a natural progression from the old school DFI box. Hacking these mods into the stock ECM is really the only option since GM isnt putting out new ECMs for the car.

The bottom line is this. Any aftermarket ECM is a generic replacement. You can make them drive really well with about any car. The stock ECM is a purpose built, purpose coded ECM designed for a specific car. It has calibration features that any aftermarket ECM is not going to have. Hell, even the converter lockup on the 20+ year old stock ECM is better than what FAST offers. What FAST has works but a purpose designed ECM does a better job of it because its just that, purpose designed.

As far as I'm concerned I'll sacrifice "drivability" with the xfi so I can have dead on correction, aux outputs that activate my boost controller, fuel pump, tach and data log without having a laptop in the car.

Jay I'm not disputing the factory ECM is the way to go as far as drivability. Not as far as performance, though.

As far as I'm concerned I'll sacrifice "drivability" with the xfi so I can have dead on correction, aux outputs that activate my boost controller, fuel pump, tach and data log without having a laptop in the car.

Got the correction, got the aux outputs, got the closed loop boost control, got the fuel pump control (staging a second pump). Got all that stuff,

Plus the rock solid street manners of the stock ECM, and the tuneability and control of the TRanslator Pro, which adds all the features mentioned above.

Got the correction, got the aux outputs, got the closed loop boost control, got the fuel pump control (staging a second pump). Got all that stuff,

Plus the rock solid street manners of the stock ECM, and the tuneability and control of the TRanslator Pro, which adds all the features mentioned above.

the only way the stock ecm can do this is with add-on's. the aftermarket system have these items built in.

what i would like to see is those functions done on a stock ecm without all the added crap.

how about rewriting the code so one can input a WB directly into the ecm without using a power logger how about making it do closed loop boost control on the factory set-up. again with out using some add-on crap.

there has been guys doing this on the 749 ecm's for the syty's for quite awhile. i guess thats why Bruce pleacan adapted a 749 ecm on his buick.

you take away all the add-on stuff your left with a stock ecm and chip technology thats 20 yrs old.

i guess my anal jet is not now where near as sensative to ever notice any diffrence in the drivability with my fast VS the stock ecm/chip (acxa or any others)

the only way the stock ecm can do this is with add-on's. the aftermarket system have these items built in.

what i would like to see is those functions done on a stock ecm without all the added crap.

how about rewriting the code so one can input a WB directly into the ecm without using a power logger how about making it do closed loop boost control on the factory set-up. again with out using some add-on crap.

there has been guys doing this on the 749 ecm's for the syty's for quite awhile. i guess thats why Bruce pleacan adapted a 749 ecm on his buick.

you take away all the add-on stuff your left with a stock ecm and chip technology thats 20 yrs old.

i guess my anal jet is not now where near as sensative to ever notice any diffrence in the drivability with my fast VS the stock ecm/chip (acxa or any others)

I guess not. That or you need to fool yourself to justify your expensive purchase you didnt need. Enjoy your FAST.

I guess not. That or you need to fool yourself to justify your expensive purchase you didnt need. Enjoy your FAST.

LMAO!!:tongue: :biggrin: :cool:
TurboDave and JayC have you ECU guys pinned in a corner again.:tongue:

"F.A.S.T bake you a pie"....:biggrin: LOL!

If the FAST,BG3 and AEM and other aftermarket systems didn't work as good as they do. why is there so many items that one can add to the stock ecm to make it act like a fast, bg3, aem. :

still waiting on a answer.