Finally into the 7’s in the 1/8th

esinger

Stroker Hot Air
To start this off I made two changes to the car before this happened. The first change was the purchase of 2 new Mickey Thompson 255/60R15 ET Street drag radials for the rear. Thanks to my friend Pat (SloGN) for lending me a pair of 15X8 rims for the tires so I don’t have to drive with them all the time.
The second change was draining all the 93 octane gas out of the GN that I could get into the Scirocco. I believe I had around 4 gallons of 93 left in the GN. I then added 9 gallons of 110 race gas to the tank.

Before going to the track a turned the boost up a tad, raised the timing up about 1 degree and leaned out the fuel about 2 tenths. The whole idea was the race gas was going to help me do all those without any knock.

Run 1 with the above combo and settings my ET was 8.05 and MPH was about 87 and my 60’ was a 1.8. After the run I checked the Powerlogger and I definitely had some knock. Boost peeked at around 25 psi.

I brought the boost down a tad and lowered the timing about .5

Run 2 with new lowered boost and timing my ET was 8.02 and MPH was about the same (87), my 60’ was still in the 1.8 range. I reviewed the powerlogger again and I was still getting knock, but not was bad as the first run. My boost was at around 24 psi.

Again I brought the boost down a tad and lowered the timing .5

Run 3 was my best ET 7.88 and MPH was still 87. What happened was the knock went down some more and my 60’ was a 1.69. I’d finally figured out what it’s going to take to 60 foot my car (although I’m still learning). I was still getting knock, but if I remember correctly it was about 1 degree.

This time I left the timing alone and dropped the boost a hair.

NOTE: This is where I found my problem!!!! While waiting to bikes and a 7.49 class to run, I was standing looking at the engine and noticed one of the plug wires on the coil was sitting up a bit higher than the others. I reach over and push down on it and feel the familiar CLICK. Lord knows how long I’ve been running my car with one of the cylinders at about half power (I figure that it was arcing and still firing the plug, but not a full strength). The last time those wires were messed with was when we put the new heads in, so I suspect my Dyno tuning was even off.

Run 4 was probably my best run, however I red lighted and didn’t get a time (F#!$%ing track). I was lined up against a nice IC T-Type and I was building as much boost as I could. The brakes weren’t holding and the car started inching forward, by the time I got the green I broke out of the beams. I got the jump on the T-Type and my back bumper was on his front bumper. By the time we shutdown my front bumper was at his door, so he ran me down for sure. The slip I received didn’t show anything about my times, but his time was 7.3 at 93 MPH. This run I had zero Knock!

Run 5 was my worst time. I may have raised the boost a hair, but left everything else alone. Two cars up from me a Mustang had finished burning out and was in the process of staging when they shut him down. He was pouring fluid out onto the staging lane. They pushed the car out and mopped up the fluid, but I’m positive they didn’t get everything up. I spun at the line and ran 8.1 at 87 MPH.

That was all the runs I got in. I suspect that I can now start building on this base tune and get the car to 60’ and MPH better now that the plug wire issue was found.

That’s it in a nutshell

Not bad times for a No Radiator attached to Your intake car!

sweet :)

I still think it's time for a 60 series turbine wheel in that turbo so it's not compressing the air as hard.

I'm Sure am proud to say that i had a help in getting ESinger to his goals. Glad to been of a help dude.

just think you may could have held off that I/C car if you would have had a I/C :eek:

you know your still gonna catch hell right :rolleyes:

But i can say that this car is as fast as another ta49ed !/C car here in the traid so he is doing something right or is the other car doing smething wrong :redface:

you can look at it both ways

Pat your absolutely right that you've been a great help in quest for Hotair speed. I know a lot of you IC guys give me a hard time about my car, but at the same time your always there to cheer me on and help.

For anyone interested, I'm attaching my Powerlogger files from the 5 runs

Attachments

• Piedmont 10-12 runs 1-3.zip
    73.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Piedmont 10-12 runs 4-5.zip
    58.6 KB · Views: 51
Not that I'm any kind of authority to the "Hot-air" world, but wouldn't methanol injection be a beter choice than race gas. I know race gas will help with detonation but the intake cooling charastices of meth are better and will keep intake temps down. I'd fab up a multi stage alky kit like John lindsay on the "other buick sight" has. He retained his 40lb injectors and pushed his car deep into the 10's with a non-progressive multistep alky kit. I'd think if you backed the timing and boost down a bit, this setup would work wonders on a hot air car.

Here was his setup keep in mind this was in a much lighter car. But same principles...

29# of boost with 29 deg. of timming with 93 pump gas with stock computer and air flow meter, 40# injectors and it Worked! At 14# of boost I had a M10 nosel come on. And that was good to 19# then Had a m15 come on and that was good to 24# then Had 2 M15s come on and that was good to 29#. I was running ethanal and the altitude at 3000 feet. If I did not prime the pumps it would stress the stock head gaskets with studs. I had steal main caps with studs and TRW forged pistons. So I had some insurance if I made a mistake. good luck! I tuned with a temp probe at 1550deg. at the end of the run.

Awesome car BTW. I'm thinking about doing a hot air turbo SBC. So I'm interested in all U guys work... ;)

Hi ForceFed86,

Actually I am running Methanol in my car. I have a Alkycontrol kit that's always running with the car. So I agree with you 100%:D

This past weekend was the first time I've run the car with race gas. This there's a big event this Friday I thought I'd add it into the mix to try to run some good numbers (A little Hotair style Shock and Awe);)

Hi ForceFed86,

Actually I am running Methanol in my car. I have a Alkycontrol kit that's always running with the car. So I agree with you 100%:D

This past weekend was the first time I've run the car with race gas. This there's a big event this Friday I thought I'd add it into the mix to try to run some good numbers (A little Hotair style Shock and Awe);)

Alright, that makes sense then. What size nozzle(s) are U running? I'd bet you could trim out another 20-30% fuel and replace it with meth to get rid of that knock....

Alright, that makes sense then. What size nozzle(s) are U running? I'd bet you could trim out another 20-30% fuel and replace it with meth to get rid of that knock....

Thanks for the advice. I'm really hoping the knock was induced by the loose plug wire, but I could be wrong.

Thanks,

Eric

NICE job Eric!
Congrats on your times!
Well deserved.

well there comes a point to where too much alky injection can be a problem. One thing you need to remember is that the mist/vapor that the alky is putting out is taking up air space in the intake/cylinder. The point ofturbocharging is to pack as much o2 in the chamber along with fuel.

IMO

The alky can't make as much power as the same amount of gasoline. So there is a fine line of where triming back the real fuel for the alky to make power.

29# of boost with 29 deg. of timming with 93 pump gas with stock computer and air flow meter, 40# injectors and it Worked! At 14# of boost I had a M10 nosel come on. And that was good to 19# then Had a m15 come on and that was good to 24# then Had 2 M15s come on and that was good to 29#. I was running ethanal and the altitude at 3000 feet. If I did not prime the pumps it would stress the stock head gaskets with studs. I had steal main caps with studs and TRW forged pistons. So I had some insurance if I made a mistake. good luck! I tuned with a temp probe at 1550deg. at the end of the run.

this was also done @ 3k altitude that makes a difference.

Good job Eric.

Just remember to not make me look bad on Friday.

Who Me!! Why there's no way a Hotair could ever out run a intercooled car:biggrin:

PS: Thanks Jerryl, My next goal is to get to 7.5 in the 1/8th. Once I'm there I think it's going to be all over and my modding is going to calm down (I know, famously last words).

Great job Eric, been out a couple times since we finally got a transmission that works. I seemed to have lost some of my sixty foot times but will work on those again this weekend. Your car sure is coming around.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie! I going to run it today and tomorrow and I'll try to keep all of you posted on my progress.

It's really been quite an experience to meet some of the big names in the Turbo Buick community yesterday. Vince Janis, Cal Hartline, Jack Cotton, Julio Don, Dennis Kirban, John from Casper Electronics, etc...

All I can say is Wow!

Hot-air going to work!

Here is a pic of Esinger Going out for a pass @ piedmont dragway @ the R Clark buick event

Those rear wheels sure are nice :biggrin:

Hi Pat,
Thanks for the Picture and yes "your" rear wheels. Thanks for letting me use them for the M/Ts. Congratulations on your new 7.2 best!

That morning I wasn't hooking at all (Some other complained about it too). I had two 8.1 runs, one 8.05 and a single 7.99. My best 60 foot was a 1.89. I also think the 110 and Alky combo wasn't a great idea. It threw my tune off and the car felt rich on several runs

Thanks Dees75z

I would have to agree I know when running 110 and then trying to inject the alcohol my car just seen it as added fuel and was messing with the tune a lot. The Meth is what you need to add horse power if running 93 octane so adding to already 110 I think defeats some of the purpose. I think you get the added bang for you buck with the 110 already. Just my two cents.

I would have to agree I know when running 110 and then trying to inject the alcohol my car just seen it as added fuel and was messing with the tune a lot. The Meth is what you need to add horse power if running 93 octane so adding to already 110 I think defeats some of the purpose. I think you get the added bang for you buck with the 110 already. Just my two cents.

thank you for that insight. I have said the same thing to people myself and they seems to thinks it wrong or how can if hurt it? . I was telling this to a I/C guy yesterday @ R Clarks event cause he was going to spray the meth on top of race gas for the added cooling effect. From my testing i lost power when i sprayed alky on top of race gas even with the same boost.timing and AFR. The alky actually takes up space in the cylinder that could be used for more oxygen. The last time i checked meth don't have any oxygen molecules bonded in it. Now using water injection as a cooling meduim will realese oxygen as it's being converted to steam will be a benefit to using it on top of race gas. but you will still need the octane when using the water injection method.