First time racer results..

ZNix

Young-Gun
Hello! Many of you have seen me around here, learning, asking questions, posting, etc. If you don't know me, I am Zack, I just turned 18 this past September, and GNs are my dream vehicle. I am living the dream. Over the past year of owning the vehicle, I have done some modifications to make it a bit more exciting. My ultimate goal was to run mid 11's at the race track with my limited budget and doing most of everything myself. Last Saturday was the first time I had ever set foot on a race track to run my car. I am going to post the slips for the people reading. You can check out the information in my signature, it has all the mods I have done and all the details on the car. The one small detail I left is the fact that the times are on street tires. Hankook Ventura 275-60-15's to be exact. No racing tires on these runs, so don't laugh too hard at the times! Enjoy.

The car weighed 3900lbs with me in it.. I need to lose some weight! LOL

20121027_223846.jpg

Zack

I will point out that you dropped 3 seconds off the time Zack. This is the learning curve.;) Get some more time under your belt and I'm sure you can get the 60' down and get closer to your goals. Yes, you need stickier tires but for now get some time at the track and see about mastering the launch with what you've got. Once you do that then worry about tires and you'll be suprised how much better you'll do.:D

Zack, for you first time down the track those numbers are not way out of whack. Just learning how to stage and launch takes several times. You will need some drag radials for sure. Your mph is good for low 12s/high 11s. Next year when you're ready to go let me know. I don't doubt an 11 is in the cards for you.

your 13 pass will easily be a 12 flat with a decent 60'. it only gets better and more fun from here.

Zack, you popped your cherry LOL, I can't wait untill the next test and tune, just getting a base # was pretty fun now I'm hooked hopefully next cookout I can get into the 12's safely with no knock issues, new injectors and some other go fast goodies will hopefully get me there...Mike

Congrats! As others have mentioned, your 115mph is good for 11's on a better launch. Have fun and enjoy your journey. I started like you and my times are below. I too work on a budget and try to do as much myself as I can.

All times below are on drag radials with plenty of 1.5x 60's off the footbrake.

skip the drag radials and buy slicks for the track !!! if your gonna take the time and money to go there might as well get the best traction you can. i only use my drag radials on the street because regular tires are worthless on the street. i went 11.88 @113-114 so your already there with your mph you just need traction and practice since your already making the power. congrats !!!!!

Congrats. Your MPH is very similar to mine... with some better launches you should be in the 11's. My first time at the track was earlier this year. I had time for 3 passes and had a blast.

When people ask about my track time, I've told them "the car runs great... but I'm a terrible driver!"

One thing people forget to mention about racing is how confusing everything gets for a first-timer. Make sure the helmet is on, make sure the car is in Drive, seat belt buckled, back into the water box, roll forward, line lock, burn out, prestage, stage, watch lights, build boost, blah blah blah. In my 3 passes I forgot to do at least two of these things every time.

Congrats. Your MPH is very similar to mine... with some better launches you should be in the 11's. My first time at the track was earlier this year. I had time for 3 passes and had a blast.

When people ask about my track time, I've told them "the car runs great... but I'm a terrible driver!"

One thing people forget to mention about racing is how confusing everything gets for a first-timer. Make sure the helmet is on, make sure the car is in Drive, seat belt buckled, back into the water box, roll forward, line lock, burn out, prestage, stage, watch lights, build boost, blah blah blah. In my 3 passes I forgot to do at least two of these things every time.

Just remember this, and this is why we love racing, you only need to do one thing at a time, unlike regular life, so just focus on each task. Do each in the right order, but just focus on doing each thing right. The best racers make it look easy, but they are concentrating on each step with intensity.

"Make sure the helmet is on, make sure the car is in Drive, seat belt buckled, back into the water box, roll forward, line lock, burn out, prestage, stage, watch lights, build boost, blah blah blah."

Now add check oil, check fuel level, eat breakfast, move seat up so gas pedal stays down all the way, check tire presures, stage in the groove, build boost at second bulb or sooner, during run: look at boost gauge, fuel pressure gauge, scanmaster, drive straight with as little steering input as possible, stay on throttle until AFTER yellow line, hit brakes, don't hit other racer, stop at timing slip booth, don't hit pedestrians, and numerous other things that I'm not mentioning or can't think of right now.

This is why racing is great though and relaxing. Even with all this stuff going on, you can only do one thing at a time, so focus on doing those things well, and you'll go fast and you'll be the one making it look easy.

Pro racers plan a full week or much more out to get themselves as well as machine physically prepared and mentally

Just remember this, and this is why we love racing, you only need to do one thing at a time, unlike regular life, so just focus on each task. Do each in the right order, but just focus on doing each thing right. The best racers make it look easy, but they are concentrating on each step with intensity.

"Make sure the helmet is on, make sure the car is in Drive, seat belt buckled, back into the water box, roll forward, line lock, burn out, prestage, stage, watch lights, build boost, blah blah blah."

Now add check oil, check fuel level, eat breakfast, move seat up so gas pedal stays down all the way, check tire presures, stage in the groove, build boost at second bulb or sooner, during run: look at boost gauge, fuel pressure gauge, scanmaster, drive straight with as little steering input as possible, stay on throttle until AFTER yellow line, hit brakes, don't hit other racer, stop at timing slip booth, don't hit pedestrians, and numerous other things that I'm not mentioning or can't think of right now.

This is why racing is great though and relaxing. Even with all this stuff going on, you can only do one thing at a time, so focus on doing those things well, and you'll go fast and you'll be the one making it look easy.

Pro racers plan a full week or much more out to get themselves as well as machine physically prepared and mentally

And! Make sure when you exit the track after the race (if you are in the far lane) not to cut off the losing car when you access the return road. He just might be headed to the last turn off.

If I'm the losing car, I always let the winner take the turn first. So many times though I'm so far ahead it's not an issue.;)

Well said, we4Mateo. It's funny, when I first got the car people asked me why I got an automatic. Apparently all I had to do was hit the gas and stay straight. Didn't realize how many other little things are happening all the time.

what kind of tires do u have

They are 275/60/15 Hankook Venturas lol. Just tires I drive on the street with. This car is my daily driver after all, and I can't be running on slicks in the rain!

James, I will get slicks. Looking to pick up a cheap set of big and littles or skinnies for the front and wides for the rear and some tires.

Jona, it's funny that you say that.. Make sure you take your car out of reverse before you do the burn-out lmao. Ask me how I know.. Thank god some Honda blew up at the end of the track, or I would have decimated that poor Mustang behind me lol.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I had a blast! I hopefully will be back next year with tires to start shooting for better times. It can only get better from here!

Hey zack where u from? I'm from Boston , but jus moved to norwell. Ur on the south shore too right? Should hook up sometime .... Joel

Hey zack where u from? I'm from Boston , but jus moved to norwell. Ur on the south shore too right? Should hook up sometime .... Joel

Hey Nono, I am from Plympton. Its a very small town located near Kingston, Halifax, and Carver. Norwell isn't too far. I actually have some family that live there. Sure, wouldn't mind hanging out with a fellow TBer. Send me a PM sometime.

Zack