First transmission rebuild, any recommendations?

Brooks

Greetings all, I'm going to attempt my first transmission rebuild here shortly. I'd appreciate any insite any of you may have into shade tree tranny rebuilds, replacements for specialty tools, newbie "gotcha's" that type thing.

Can anybody recommend a good manual and/or video for the 2004R? I'd like to find something that covers options for performance modifications and gives explanations for the modifications as well.

I have a CZF (Monte Carlo SS?) core that is going to be the guinea pig for this venture. I know there are mixed opinions as to the value of these transmissions but since the transmission was free and I will still have the original BRF trans from the GN I figure it (the CZF) will do just fine for learning on.

I'll be browsing the "Transmission Talk" archives here over the next few days for tidbits.

Thanks for any input,

Here's a replacement for a specialty tool. I found a bar clamp
at The Home Depot that works great to compress the servo
cover on the side of the case. It is a 4" X 20" Bessey bar code
9116200752. It also has TG4.016 printed on the handle. Sears
may also carry it. Technical Videos should have a 200-4r rebuild
video. I used a C6 video from them and it was very easy to follow.

first thing, is good luck.. your going to need it.. it took me two trys to get it right, i finally did it though...

for tools your going to need varous flat head screw drivers, a dental pick (both a straight one and one with a 90º bend. snap ring plyers really help.

an air compresser would be a good idea, that way you can take an air blower with a rubber tip on the end and apply pressure to parts such as lo/reverse, foward clutch and direct clutch you can test to make sure the seals inside them are good.

for service manuals, you could download Jermey's (Bandit) '87 TR shop manual that he is offering.. that has a pretty good rebuild guide in it... i used the exact same one to rebuild my tranny...

you can find that here:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100444

and lastly, for now, dont be afraid to call some of the tranny guru's on here, chances are they are more then willing to help you out.

hope that helps

Thanks for the input, I have an ATSG manual and found a video on rebuilding the 2004R from http://www.kdsperformance.com That should cover the basics of rebuilding pretty well and the CK Performance manual ought to cover the hi-po modifications so I think I'm covered in the book department. Now I just need to find those "special" tools I keep hearing about and get my hands dirty :)

Nordbert, thanks for the tip on a tool for the servo cover.

Charles Brooks

Another hack way to get that servo cover off is ---- if your tranny jack has one of the straps to hold the tranny on it you can use the strap to hold a pry bar and just push in on the servo and remove the snap ring. If your not using a tranny jack then you can take one of those racheting straps they have for holding stuff down and use that the same way if you already have one. If you just go to the hardware store and use your imagination you will come up with something for just about every tool to get the thing apart. Including building the stand, I've got maybe 40 bucks in stuff to take it apart. Some stuff I already had though like snap ring pliers etc. The Lo reverse clutch housing can be a bitch to get out. I got mine out using two copper wires as kinda hooks to get it out as talked about on gntype.org but you can get the tool off of ebay for about 25 bucks with shipping. Might be worth it. If you attempt the rebuild you probably should plan on having problems and possibly having to pull it again. Most people on here including myself have had problems with the first time around. I rebuilt mine and thought it was fine but now its developed a weird problem that nobody in here seems to know about. It shifts fine in D4 but won't shift in D3 or D2 or D1. Feels weird in D1 like somethings holding it. I think its just a stuck valve in the valve body but I'm waiting for Cris's book before I mess with it again. Those dexron shampoos get old quick LOL.:D

2004R Jackleg Rebuild

First, search this forum--this subject has been posted many times with several approaches/parts/advice/ect. recommended. Also, the CZF is an excellent 2004R, why don't you get something less valuable for your first rebuild, like an OG?

Second, at a minimun buy a billet forward drum, oversized band anchor and shift kit from PTS, accept no imitations!

Third, you really need one special tool--its used to remove the center support but it is often sold on eBay at a starting price of $20, look in the ATSG 2004R manual.

Fourth, get you a running engine--SBCs are good--on a stand to test it behind (pressures and such) because it is much simplier than taking it in and out of a car.

Fifth, seek psychiatric help. Rebuilding a 2004R makes rebuilding a SBC look like the stuff of tinker toys. I built three but lost count of how many total trys (install, test ,remove, disassemble, reassemble, install, remove...........) I went through. BTW--If you do not beleive it will make you crazy just talk to some of the trannie builders on here, they are all over the map.

Finally, build a crate and send it to PTS if you get too aggravated.

Re: 2004R Jackleg Rebuild

Originally posted by Clay Thompson
Fifth, seek psychiatric help. Rebuilding a 2004R makes rebuilding a SBC look like the stuff of tinker toys.

Amen! i will drink to that

I am contemplating a 2004r rebuild also.

Will using the pre-loaded drum assemblies,etc, like PTS sells significantly increase the odds for success?

tyvm,
Tom

I think so

I think if purchased and assembled your chances are very good. Especially when you have access to the tech behind the product. No matter who you buy your stuff from, buy it once, pay the little extra, and get what you know works. Your success is dependent on it. I will say that I am glad I am smart enough to take my taxes elsewhere , even tho I could do them myself and save the money , knowing that I just couldn't do the 8-10 for tax fraud when I screwed it up the first time.:p
My point being, as said before, expect to have some bumps and maybe a pull or two, but I beleive your chances of success increase dramatically, doing as you said and going in knowing it may cost you some time and money. But the feeeling of success and winning in the end is more than worth it. :D

Bruce
WE4
PTS XTREME

I did mine twice

Well put. I did mine two times. Didn't go forward the first time. Make sure you follow the tape and rewind if you don't understand. I didn't get the clutches all the way down in the drum. Follow all the test and you should make out OK.

Clay thanks for the advice, expecially that fifth point. :)

I'm going to skip the billet forward drum for this transmission. If this works out well, I'll go with the good hard parts when I rebuild the BRF currently in the GN.

At this point I'm leaning towards doing a stock rebuild with a PTS upgraded pressure regulator system, B&M shift improver kit (Left over from an old project that was never done), Alto band, upgraded band anchor and of course a hardened stator.

How does that sound to you guys? Reasonable?

I just finished watching the 2004R rebuild video and it covered a couple ways to get around some of the special tools. Bat, you're right those tests they show at the end of the video should help a lot.

The video mentions leaving a checkball out and opening up one hole in the seperator plate to improve TV operation but aside from that, it doesn't cover any modifications. Looks like I'll have to wait for the manual from CK Performance for information on modifications.

I spent some time reading the ATSG manual, the instructions from the B&M kit and bits and pieces from the archives and it has shed some light on some of the possible modifications but not enough for me to try it without more information or instructions.

Charles Brooks

Thanks Clay, I picked one up and they even sprung for Fed-Ex shipping. I had it in hand three days later. Very nice of them.

I had planned on tearing into the transmission this weekend but I've decided to wait for the manual from CK Performance to get here.

In the mean time I'll keep browsing for tidbits and asking questions. :)

Charles Brooks