TH200-4R quandry for rebuild

DorianL

Greetings from a particuarly green Newbie :eek: who needs help ! Appologies for anything real silly that I might say.

I am about to rebuild and enhance a secondhand ‘slipping’ TH200-4R. And I'm trying to figure out the most cost effective way to do this.

Just want to avoid being penny-wise and something-something (pound?) foolish.

There is a TCI Pro overhaul kit that appears to contain everythin including valve body modifications - for more positive shift and allows downshifting the vehicle on demand + manually shift and hold the transmission in first gear until you shift to a higher gear

I have no clue if that is overkill or what I need. But it’s $230 !!!

My other option is from www.nothernautoparts.com I was thinking of combining a transtar overhaul kit* $100 With their $35 shift kit.

* Kit includes: Transtech paper and rubber kit with sealing rings, seals, new steels (not tubled) and Raybestos friction clutches, adjustable modulator, front band, filter and popular bushings and washers.

That’s a $100 difference.

Would either of these ‘cure’ the slipping of the TH200-4R ?

Are there other solutions/better choices ?

Incidentally – a ‘true’ TransGo kit for a 200-4R is $100.

Many TIA,

D.

Sounds like you need to talk to our resident "200-4R tranny king"...Bruce Toelle. He frequents this site, so hopefully he'll chime in.

His website is at www.2004rPerformanceCenter.com

You won't find anyone who knows more about these transmissions than Bruce.

Good Luck,
John

Thanks. This is a TH200-4R that I'll be picking up at a yard here in Belgium (!) and it is to replace a TH350.

The yard guy says it slips. No more data. Don't know what it came out of and if it is a lockup. I pick it up on Tuesday - hopefully.

I was hoping to fix it and put in a shift kit.

All advice and input is welcome.

So far I ordered a Haynes book on this.

Many thanks,

D

Europe....

I currently have one in Sweden and one in Norway. If you need anything let me know. I really think you would better served if we just sent you a unit that we know and you know what you got. I GAURENTEE it works flawless.... If not have at it and give a shout for whatever you need. :D

WE4

Re: Europe....

Originally posted by WE4
I currently have one in Sweden and one in Norway. If you need anything let me know. I really think you would better served if we just sent you a unit that we know and you know what you got. I GAURENTEE it works flawless.... If not have at it and give a shout for whatever you need. :D

WE4

Greetings !

You have a TH200-4R in Sweden and one in Norway?

I'm quite sure that might be out of my budget :(

The used one is selling for $100. I can afford $2-300 for the rebuild and most likely would enjoy doing it (well most of it - knowing me I'll blow a fuse every now and then :D )

Is there any recommended rebuild and shift kits recommended for this ? Should I just build it up as I go along ? Perhaps pick up the tranny first disassemble and inspect ?

Many thx,

D.