You can type here any text you want

Flat tappet cam recommendation.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WarWagon

Caustic Cacophony
I'm going to switch blocks in my buick. My current block has a dead #2 cylinder with 0psi compression I suspect rings. I found a clean lower mileage '85 ttype block that I'm going to mod like my '83 block to work with my setup. I'm still using a stock '87 GN camshaft. I'd like to know what I can run If i want more cam. otherwise the Stocker was doing fine in my setup just dying at top. I'm running a t3/t4 with a around a 60 mm inducer and have 3in DP with outout and a external wastegate. aftermarket headers semi ATR style. And blow though induction. Smokey Yunick Weiand intake, FMIC, 800cfm Demon, msd fuel pump, mallory 4309 boost refenced FPR. 100 shot wet NX kit, Hei Ignition, 3.42 gears and a 3speed. I want and need a 4spd just can't find one yet.

Ohkay thanks, but that has nothing to do with what I asked. I'm asking about Camhafts, hydraulic flat tappet style to be exact.

218/218 works great strip and street imho

sell the nos and get alky and run higher boost out of the 60mm, you'll fall in love all over again on high boost and a solid tune!

Does the block or heads require any mods to run that cam? anyone MFG of this cam better than other?
I like the NOS, I run around 21psi with it, I want to add alky and too run both and maybe switch to e85.
Thanks for the cam info

Lunati Part number 06256

Is this the correct cam that is being discussed in my thread?

Or this Compcams part nmber 69-246-4

Is there anymore??

Since you're blow through you need to come vist us in the before black section. You're one of us now and the SFI info won't help a lot. Welcome aboard BTW.

Thanks for the input Charlief1. I've been to the before black area, Lots of good info there for the stock stuff, however my setup is more closely related to the SFI systems, My stuff only differs with the fuel delivery, ignition and electronics. The only real similarity my setup has with the before black stuff is I use a carburetor for my fuel metering. I'm just searching for as much camshaft info as possible. I once had my entire buildup of my car on this site but it magically dissappeared and not my me.

I'd like to hear a 218/218, comp cams website says "mild choppy idle"

PM Aj. He's planning a real suprise with his cam. Now you see why I sugested you go back to the begining.

Yeah, I got ya. A couple years ago I saw a FWD Olds Cutlass at Carlisle, that had a 3800 Series 2 supercharged engine in it, Tuned by ntense. I got to ride in it and It had a comp cams bumpstick in it and it sounded so nasty but the owner said it was a mild cam focused on midrange power. I can't remember exactly what he said it was But I'd like to have the same cam. It sounded Great and it made all kinds of good power clear till 6200

Junk the flat tappet, more trouble than there're worth....go roller.

For non-ported iron heads....max 206/206
For ported iron heads......max 212/212

Don't over cam the motor. Base the cam on the flow of the heads.

If you have aluminum heads then have to know your goal.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Sure GNXtc2 send me a check or a debit carb and I'll get started right away. lol
I'd love to go roller however well you know.$$$$$$$$
How about this, Does anyone know how much the valve guides need to get cut? some measurements?

I've always cut them down as far as posible so I've got room for a bigger cam if I decide to change it later.

No doubt I'd like to do a roller cam, It's just when I look at the price, I'd rather spend that money on another turbo upgrade. the stock '87GN cam in my engine now works great I just wished it sounded meaner.

upgrade. the stock '87GN cam in my engine now works great I just wished it sounded meaner.
I will let you in on a little secret. #1 the v8 thump you want, you are NOT going to get, trust me. #2 a turbo upgrade up to about a 61 or so will work fine with the stock cam. I went 10.90's with a stock motor with a TA61, 55# inj. and a few other minor bolt-ons. re think your strategy before you go out & spend $ where it is not needed. also the best thing to do is if you can not afford a roller cam, save your $ a little longer. you will not regret it.

I know that these v6's will never sound like a v8 and I don't expect it too nor do I want that. I've watched a lot of Buick turbo v6 video's and heard some really good sounding engines most were roller cammed engines and I have heard some good sounding flat tappets too. I'm going to stick with my stocker for now especially since you told me about you going 10.90's on a stock cam with around a 61 turbo.
Now that I have read through the FWD roller stuff on a GN block thread that looks super easy and pretty cheap to boot. Perhaps when I rebuild my '83 3.8 block that is coming out of my car so I can put my '85 block in, I'll try that out on it since those guys are getting the bugs worked out on that setup.
I appreciate all the suggestions and help, you Guys are great!

Blah!

I got just the flatty grind you need. Its an older Clay Smith I have got tucked away, as soon as I get home I will find the spec card and send it to you.

:biggrin: A.j.

Back