You can type here any text you want

Flood Damage

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Wildthing

My 86 GN was in a flood this weekend. The water was about 3 ft deep. Has any one tried to fix an flood damaged car before? I just wondering if I should even try to buy it back from the insurance company?

The water was over the engine, trans and rearend?

Was it brackish, fresh or salt?

If it was a solid no rust good or better car before the flood,then yes on buying it back if you can get it cheap.
Salt or fresh water flooding?
Did the water get up into the dash area?
The ecm for sure will need to be replaced. Lots of work but can be saved.

Gary

Certianly saveable but will take alot of work.

If you decide not to buy it back I'd be interested in purchasing it myself to rebuild and save from the scrap yard. Pm me and let me know if your not gonna buy it back

Thanks Justin

Brackish or salt water don't even bother.
Fresh water you will have your hands full changing the wiring out but it can be saved.

3 feet deep. what all got wet? i would buy it back if it was only 3 feet.

Sorry to here about your troubles. I live in Sparta, WI and alot off the rain went around us, I was still worried about getting flooded as I have a creek that runs through my back yard. Depending on how much you can get it back for, how high the water was on the car and the condition would be my determining factors. Have you had your GN at the street drags in West Salem before? I've seen one there a couple times.

It was fresh water with a lot of mud. Minnesota is a little to far north for the salt water stuff:wink: . The body need a new rocker panel on the passenger side, had a rust hole in it, and one rust spot behind the panssenger side wheel well. The rest of the body was solid. The water was up to the door window, so the dash had water in it to. So the engine would had water up to about the intake. I also have an 88 monte carlo this an GN drive tran. It too was under water. I think I'll keep the monte and let the GN go. I'll ask the insurance agent about buying it back. I don't whant it to end up in the scrap yard. That means it will have a savage title. I will privite message next week those who are interested in buying it. I don't know how much it be, I'll find out more tomarrow.

Keep it man!!

Dude, I did fresh water flood cars for a salvage outfit for years, If the price is fair buy it! Highly unlikely there is going to be engine damage, pull out the plugs, fresh fluids, empty the intercooler, take fuel samples, fresh water cars seldom have wiring damage from water, just unplug and alcohol the connectors and some dielectric grease and your set, honestly, the seats and carpet are easy to clean and will dry in a few days, out of the car, both easy to remove, once they are out an hour or so inside with a sponge and some soapy water and its clean. I would not even be a bit afraid of it as long as nobody tried to start it after the water!?!? Pm me if you have any questions man, very easy to do, Quick weekend strip job, clean and dry for a week, back together next weekend and your done.....

Yeah buy it back, take out interior drain fluids, clean or recycle all electrical connectors. They need it anyway after 20years. I'd wash the seats to soak em in whoolite, they will come out smelling very clean same with carpet.

Sounds to me as tho it's already showing signs of "Minn winter rust syndrome". If there's already visible rust holes, then can U imagine what is there that U can't see?
The flood damage will only accelerate the rusting.
IMO, take the $4 from the ins, and buy a rust free southern car... Money well spent.

I think it would be a good car to buy it you had a wrecked one with to get one good car. I don't think I'll have the money to fix it. I'll check with the insurance company about buying it back if the price is right. I'll ether resell it to some one here or part it out. I'll let you guys know what the insurance does. Thanks guys.

Dude, I did fresh water flood cars for a salvage outfit for years, If the price is fair buy it! Highly unlikely there is going to be engine damage, pull out the plugs, fresh fluids, empty the intercooler, take fuel samples, fresh water cars seldom have wiring damage from water, just unplug and alcohol the connectors and some dielectric grease and your set, honestly, the seats and carpet are easy to clean and will dry in a few days, out of the car, both easy to remove, once they are out an hour or so inside with a sponge and some soapy water and its clean. I would not even be a bit afraid of it as long as nobody tried to start it after the water!?!? Pm me if you have any questions man, very easy to do, Quick weekend strip job, clean and dry for a week, back together next weekend and your done.....

I restored a 2001 Cadillac DTS myself. I have not had any flood-related trouble with it in the 2.5 years I've been driving it. I did post recently about a strange electrical problem but it turned out to be a frayed ground cable from a broken motor mount.

Pics of the restoration are here:
2001 Cadillac DeVille DTS Restoration

As the water recedes it leaves a fine coating of silt all over EVERYTHING. Replace anything electronic (which is not much on the GN compared to a newish Caddy) and take apart all connectors and clean them. I cleaned the entire car with Simple Green and a fine-haired paintbrush. I removed the leather (in your case cloth) and foam from the seats, cleaned it and let it dry thoroughly. Ditto with the carpet. I sprayed anything that's not metal, plastic or glass with an anti-bacterial/fungicide to prevent mold and mildew.

Mechanically the car is fine. Remove the plugs and crank it over to get the water out of it. I'd let the cylinders air out for a couple of days, too. Once the car was running, I pumped all of the fluid out of the transmission but putting the pump outlet into a 5 gallon bucket and the inlet in gallon-sized containers of fresh transmission fluid. When the fluid coming out looked like the fluid going in I called it a day.

It's a lot of work but definitely worth it if the buy-back price is right. The insurance company will total it if the water got up to the dash.

The insurance company wanted $4200 for salvage value. I said no way, it's not worth that much. I don't know what will happen to the car now. I only paid $4000 for it 2 years ago.

What did they give you for the car?? Let it go to auction and see if you can get it back a little cheaper. If they gave you a good chunk of change for it then buy it back and sell it here on the board. It will get restored!

Back