For guys running slicks

wb's87

willrock
I want to run 28" tall slicks on my GN at the drag strip. I want them to fit without rolling the fenders or frame notching.

Can someone please tell me what width tire I can use and what rims? I was thinking Hoosiers only because they are tubeless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run the 28x9 MT slick on the stock GN rim...with no rubbing on the lip or frame. I also run the MT 28x10.5 slick on the stock GN rim...with no rubbing on the lip or frame rail. Keep in mind MT sells 3-4 different 28x10.5 slicks...with different section widths. You need the one with the narrowest section width. The pic is yours truly with the 28x10.5 slick on the stock GN rim.
june 6 smp 2.jpg

I run the 28x9 MT slick on the stock GN rim...with no rubbing on the lip or frame. I also run the MT 28x10.5 slick on the stock GN rim...with no rubbing on the lip or frame rail. Keep in mind MT sells 3-4 different 28x10.5 slicks...with different section widths. You need the one with the narrowest section width. The pic is yours truly with the 28x10.5 slick on the stock GN rim.View attachment 232437

I love the photo! Looks professional. Do you know if the stock rims are the same width front and back? I measured my fronts. They are 7" wide. The rears have tires mounted on them so I couldn't get a measurement. It would be great to be able to run the 28 x 10.5's and not have to buy new wheels.

Front/rear rims are the same width. One thing. I run aluminum rear drums...which are slightly thicker...so you may need a thin wheel spacer. Stick with the 28x9...as it has the exact dimensions as the MT 275/60/15 drag radial...which fits with ease.

Last edited:
Why slicks and not drag radials?

Bryan
I have been running the car pretty much every weekend. Trailering it to the track. For the most part the drag radials are pretty good. Somewhat inconsistent though I have had several times where I've gotten tire spin. I have to be careful not to build too much boost. About 8-10# launch is ok. Any more than that not so good. So long story short I'm gonna save my DR's for the street and run the slicks at the strip. Still trying to come up with the right tire wheel combo.

I'm using the Nitto 555r. I've used M/t and BFG's in the past. I'll be going back to the M/T next time. I thought I would give the Nitto's a shot. To me they look nice other than that they are just ok at the track and not very good on the street. I'm sure they would be scary in the rain.

I would get a new set of 275/60 MT and try adjusting the air pressure. Also are you running an air bag in the rr? To answer your question a 28x9 will fit with no mods. A 28x10.5 will need the lips rolled. I would run a tube in them to stiffen them up.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

I am definitely getting Mickey's after these Nittos are finished. I usually run about 14-17# in the tires. I am running airbags. 14# in the PS. 4# in DS. Car launch is nice and straight. 1.60/60' times when it hooks. Would like to launch at 12-14# boost but anything over 8# it just blows the tires loose like a burnout. Ideally I would like to Run a 28x10 slick. If I could find the right backspace/offset so I don't have to do any rolling. I don't mind buying new wheels if that would help. Maybe I will just order the 9 inch?

MT ET Drag 28x9 on a stock T wheel - on my GN they didn't rub. If I mounted them on my T, they rubbed the frame when launching. I think a 8.5 inch wheel with a 4 inch backspace is perfect, at least for my T without trimming or rubbing. I run a 26 x 10 on a 8.5 with 3.5 backspace right now. Again on the T, I think my 17x8 with a 4.5 inch backspace had to be pushed out half an inch with a spacer to run 275 50 17's M&H DR without rubbing on a hard launch/turn. Take a look at M&H drag radials too.

I run the 28x9 MT slick on the stock GN rim...with no rubbing on the lip or frame. I also run the MT 28x10.5 slick on the stock GN rim...with no rubbing on the lip or frame rail. Keep in mind MT sells 3-4 different 28x10.5 slicks...with different section widths. You need the one with the narrowest section width. The pic is yours truly with the 28x10.5 slick on the stock GN rim.View attachment 232437

Do you guys run tubes in these slicks? I hear it stiffens them up. I thought the entire reason was so that they WEREN'T stiff. If you don't run a tube, how long does your air pressure last before it leaks out?

Front/rear rims are the same width. One thing. I run aluminum rear drums...which are slightly thicker...so you may need a thin wheel spacer. Stick with the 28x9...as it has the exact dimensions as the MT 275/60/15 drag radial...which fits with ease.

There is no 275/60 MT drag radial. Which tire are you talking about here. I may need taller tires in the future.